1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Voting day in Britain

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Silvery, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well, it's polling day today and I'm voting BNP. I'm not racist or anything but it seems like they are the only party who recognises that Britain has a problem with immigration. I mean, where I used to live, I was an ethnic minority!

I have no problem with people whu genuinely need asylum. In fact, a friend of mine came to England because if she'd stayed in her own country then she would have been stoned to death for becoming a Christian.

The problem that I have is that it's got to the point now where people come here because they think that they are going to get an easy ride and our government doesn't help the issue by giving in and giving them houses, benefits, priority to get jobs etc.

I'm starting to wonder what's going to be left for my kids when they grow up. I mean, most schools won't even put up a Christmas tree incase it offends someone!

Countries like Australia have the right idea when it comes to immigration: 'You aren't coming in unless you can contribute something!'

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The same thing here in Holland. Like it caught them in surprise, and they are in a state of denial. They do not seem to grasp it. The neighbourhood my parents grew up in looks like a middle east city with here and there a white tourist.

It is also election day here, and yesterday we had the big debate on tv. Only left and right are able to use the words yes or no. Those two words are not in the vocabulary of all the parties in the middle. Turkey to name one.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Are you talking about the European parliment election or does Britain have a domestic election now as well because in that case I have completely missed it. If it is the EU election I made a nice little thread that could sure use some more discussion and I am sure a voter of the extreme right could spice things up a bit.

4. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Britain is having it's local elections today. These are to select the party for each region, not the country as a whole

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I know it's :yot: but very quickly: Australians do have a real concern of becoming a minority in their own countries. It's a simple population game. Australia is relatively sparsely populated with only a little over 20 million people. The sheer number of people from Indonesia (which has a total population of nearly a quarter billion) who apply for immigration each year highlight the problem Australia would have if they simply opened their borders up to anyone.

EDIT: It is also my understanding that if you are from England, Canada, or the US, the chance of having your immigration application approved is MUCH higher.

Maybe I don't get as worked up over immigration as an American because we are a nation of immigrants and descendants of immigrants, and we are very racially diverse. The 2010 census is expected to show to that 40% of the population is non-white.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    My you start on the long journey to getting your country back. Good luck

7. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Just out of interest, are these EU or non-EU immigrants? If non-EU, do they come in via work permits or through the asylum system?

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Silvery, you did have the EU election yesterday. Saw it on the news.

9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Just what is the BNP promising to do about the immigrants, btw?

10. Silvery

Media:
    Yes, it was a european election. Sorry, I got all confused (not that it takes much)!

The BNP is proposing to stop immigration being so open door I believe. A lot of people come here saying that they need asylum when really what they want is their own pizza shop!
    They are focusing on the whole 'British rights for British citizens' thing. If you have citizenship then fine and dandy but if not, don't expect a free ride anymore

11. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

How are they going to do that, exactly? As far as I know most non-EU immigrants don't come to the UK legally anyway, so I'm not sure what practical effect it would have if they tried to stop granting asylum status (of course, needing asylum and wanting to open a pizza shop are not mutually exclusive ;) ). Also, did they elaborate what "British rights for British citizens" means? For example, what impact will this probably have on EU nationals residing in the UK?

12. Silvery

Media:
    I shall get some articles and stuff and link them onto here shortly babes x

13. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Doesn't really matter what British means to a party like the BNP, when they posted a leaflet through my door 2 weeks ago expressing peoples "Britishness" there were lots of pictures of chavy white people on the front and the words "indigenous" and "native" to Britain were used, I chuckled at it, tore it up and placed it in the bin... I continued to laugh a little more after this for some considerable time... If I can I will find a piccy online of the leaflet I got and post it for people to look at.

---------- Added 0 hours, 11 minutes and 18 seconds later... ----------

Oh well seems my search for the truth has revealed that they are actually italian models and obviously only selected because they are white...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...tion-leaflet-are-actually-Italian-models.html

14. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I heard that my dad over in Scotland will be voting BNP too. Aparrently he enjoys hateful ranting against anyone percieved as not deserving to compete with him for jobs and stuff. From the friendly neighborhood Pakistanis to the recent Polish migrant workers. He even specifically mentioned filipinas, who come to Scotland in search for husbands. Like it's some kind of crime, I'm so embarrassed:o.

I recently went on holiday to the Philippines, where I met my girlfriend. I'm supporting her to get trained, and work in Holland as an au pair for a year. They're really big on family in the Philippines, someday I'll be expected to introduce him to her:(. I'm considering telling her that my father is dead, it's probably for the best. One look at that shameful testament to my inferior genetic blueprint, and she'd run a mile:outta:.

15. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

I enjoyed the Philippines too, but I think it is true that a lot of the girls there are hoping to marry abroad. Well, as you said it's not a crime - if you like the girl and she likes you, there's no problem. Besides, I think Europe (and the UK's) genetic makeup could use a little shakeup. You guys haven't been invaded in some 1000 years, after all, all that interbreeding is not good for you :p .

In all seriousness, some tightening of the immigration rules might not be so bad. However, a lot of the refugees coming from Africa are refugees. It's not like the continent does not have its fair share of hellhole countries. Immigration is a legitimate problem, but there are far more important issues to decide on.

16. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

No they are not refugees. Most of the Africans coming to Ireland and Britain are not coming from the hellhole countries. They're economic migrants coming from the likes of Nigeria. While I can't say I'd fancy living is Nigeria it is far from a failed state. The asylum system is flooded with these but governments are refusing to alter the system to process them quickly and get them out of the country. It's destroying any sympathy for genuine refugees as they're a tiny percentage of those claiming asylum. In Ireland you have the obvious question as to how these people ended up here. We're an island on the periphery of Europe with very few direct flights to Africa. Why do people fleeing in terror pass through countries like Germany, Holland, UK, France before trying to claim asylum? I'm not saying Ireland should get away with not taking any, I'd have no problem with sharing out those that claim in the first safe country they reach.

I'd be liberal about allowing immigration but the current systems in place are a mess. If they were cleaned up it would cut off a lot of the discontent that allows the likes of the BNP to flourish.

17. Silvery

Media:
    Here's a link to the BNP policies section on their website. There isn't one thing on there that I disagree with. It just sounds to me like a group of normal people have had enough and decided to do something about it.
    All that facist and racist stuff is rubbish. A couple of extremists have given the party a bad name.

http://bnp.org.uk/policies/

18. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Silvery, I would be the last person to criticise whatever political belief you have, but saying the BNP as not racist? Here's a few choices quotes from those "couple of extremists" that you mention.

"We are 100 per cent racist, yes"
    - Richard Edmonds, former deputy leader

"we [do not] accept miscegenation as moral or normal. We do not and we never will".
    - Nick Griffin, current leader

"... a white family line that stretches back into deep pre-history is destroyed."
    - Nick Griffin, on mixed-race children

"We bang on about Islam. Why? Because to the ordinary public out there it's the thing they can understand. It's the thing the newspaper editors sell newspapers with."
    - Nick Griffin, theological genius

And let's not go into Mark Collett's "AIDS monkeys" comment.

It wouldn't be so bad if one of these "extremists" didn't happen to be the current party leader, and the leader of the country for the next 4 years should the BNP have made it to power.

You like their policies? Hey, it's a free country. You want to promote them as open-minded normal non-racist people? Sorry, no.

19. Halasz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Is this not the political party that does not allow non-white citizens to be members of their party? I swore I read that in a news article.

20. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    Firstly let me say that I did not vote, not because I didn't want to (though I'm still not sure if I would have) but because I was away on holiday with no internet so as far as I knew I couldn't.

I was just reading that policies thing Silvery posted and here are some of my views:

IMMIGRATION - I am someone who agrees that we have a problem with immigration, I do not think that every immigrant is out to steal our jobs. Immigration is a mess at the moment, and it definately needs to be sorted and fixed somehow, genuine problems and skilled workers should take priority.

Their Voluntary Resettlement policy is not a terrible idea but I see no mention of what happens if a family do not want to move back? My girlfriend is British born but her mum, dad and sister are from Hong Kong, they hold dual nationality I believe so maybe not the best example. But if they did not and were asked to move, what would happen if they said no? I take it my British Born girlfriend would be allowed to stay? Its far too vague a description for such a big change.

EUROPE - £43 million? Wow...I don't claim to know how true that is, but if it is true then I would first explore options which would allow us to pay less for reduced power. Their ideas on foreign policy are extreme, but I do believe that we should fix our own problems before we try to fix other peoples. It may not be fair but its sensible.

CRIME - Well Capital punishment for murderers and such I can agree on, take a life and expect to recieve the consequences I never fully understood the moral problem people have with that. But petty theft/vandalism = corporal punishment? Thats over the top...pay a fine yes, community service yes.

EDUCATION - I do not believe that the education system is broken, I think its the children who are broken :p. I learnt a lot and am relatively smart, though far from a genius, but that is because I wanted to learn and my parents encouraged me to learn. I also disagree that a focus should be given to industrial and technological skills, and that everything should sit equally. I always tried to take a range of subjects and feel it is better to have a wide varietty of skills but not to necissarily master any.

Well thats some of the main ones covered, I don't fully agree with them on anything much, but I don't think they are wrong on everything. Right ideas, wrong people maybe?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.