1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Glyph of Warding Glitch

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by swak62, Jun 7, 2009.

1. swak62 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have installed in this order Icewind Dale, IWD patch 1.06, Heart of Winter, and ToLM. The update/patch for How seems to be unnecessary because the computer says that the files of the current HoW installed are newer than the update I downloade. However, in game play, if I have a character cast a glyph of warding, either by scroll or spell, the game crashes. Have searched other forums but found no other people who've had this problem. Any comments?

2. swak62 Gems: 1/31

I thinkk I found the problem.

I think I found the problem. I forgot to mention that the computer I'm using is a Vista 32-bit system (automatically assumed people would think that since Microsoft is FORCING EVERYONE to use Vista :mad:. It's a compatability issue, where IWD has to be run under Windows XP SP2. I tried it and it worked once so far.

---------- Added 13 hours, 21 minutes and 45 seconds later... ----------

As I said above, it worked one time, but not the second. Tried it a second time and the game crashed. Ran the game as administrator, but what you have to do with Vista is copy your saved games from C:/User/Owner/App Data/Local/virtual store/Program Files/Black Isle/Icewind Dale. Copy the folder mpsave and paste it into your game folder under C:/Program Files/Black Isle/Icewind Dale. Otherwise your saved games won't show up. Well, let's see if third times the charm.

3. fangedwolf Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I had this problem, despite using windows xp myself. When casting the glyph of warding, it crashed the game each time.
    I managed to fix the problem by downloading the last update that was published (patch v1.42), which was included in the Trials of the Luremaster download you can find here:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IWD/index_misc.php

4. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    If that doesn't work (since it was done with XP not Vista:mad:), try opening up the folder for the Icewind Dale executable. It should be C:bad:Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale or the like. Find the IDMain.exe, right click on it, select "Properties", and on the second tab (Compatability) check Run This Program in Compatability Mode for:

The default should be XP service pack 2, which ususally works for my programs when they act up in Vista.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Dumb question, since you said it works if you select XP, but shouldn't you choose compatibility mode for Windows 98/ME since Icewind Dale was released before XP existed? Also, since 98/ME were still DOS-based while Vista is NT-based.

When I learned about the compatibility choice in XP all those years ago, I was told to start with whatever OS was current when the program was released, then try the older ones.

6. zark Gems: 1/31

I fixed this, the iwdfixpack-v6 buged that spell. you just have to edit the spell to use another sound. I did this the editer DLTCEP. I replaced the sound at random with another sound for the game and it worked. :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2014
  7. jjstraka34 Gems: 1/31

Any more detailed advice on how to implement this. I have DLTCEP, went in, found Glyph of Warding and changed the sound, but it STILL manages to crash every time, and I just can't seem to find a workaround for this.

8. Midget Gems Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

It's a bit late now but I had this bug in my IWD game. Never found the cure so had to stop using the spell. Which is ok until you trigger a trap that throws out Glyph of Warding and then it's reload time again.

9. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Fixpack hasn't messed with Glyph's sound for several versions; the only thing it does is fix the casting time.

The Glyph bug is frustrating, and I wish I knew the cause. The casting sound set in the file doesn't exist, yet some hardcoded magic gives it a casting sound anyway. Adding a casting sound fixes the crash for some players and then causes new players to crash with it, which is why I stopped messing with it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.