1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stuck in Watcher's Keep

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by ShadowWolf, Jun 8, 2009.

1. ShadowWolf Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hey guys

I am in the watchers keep but i have not been to spellhold yet, i have done almost all of the quests exept the sphere, and kangaxx, i figured i would do the keep then the sphere before going to spellhold.

But i have run into a snag, in going through yakmans portals i am on the last ones that go north, and have run into a wraith demon in a room full of traps and i am getting stomped,

My party is me, half orc barbarian, Mazzy, yoshimo, jeherah, my own priest of lothander, and my sorcerer, we are all in the 12-15 level range.

if the demon dose not kill half the party, the trap in the middle after the demon has made my main character run around the room like crazy, hits the trap in the hand and gets turned to stone, i have been in that room 8 times and 8 times i have been totally oblitorated!

anywhere else so far we have held our own, i have defeated the shadow dragon and firekragg.. of course yoshi's traps were a big help.

any help please? this demon wraith is a pain.

2. Angulimala Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Since I don't remember the specific tactics I've used to pummel that wraith, my best advice for you is to RUN! Just click on that North portal - the same one you came in by - and live to see another day. The wraith and his pets are all undead, essentially immortal, so they'll wait for you to come back when you're at a higher level.

Otherwise I's say pre-buff at least one member of your party to run forward and take the brunt of the traps. Don't stray too far off to either side, run in straight and hit those traps. You'll need something to protect from energy drain, stun, mind spells, etc. So I think your cleric buffed Before you go through the portal should take the lead. Chaotic commands, free action, negative energy protection, all those and more! Haste that cleric if possible, and pummel the master wraith with the mace of disruption.

3. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    One of th most important things thieves do is deal with traps. There (if I remember right) are actually somewhere from 3 to 5 traps in the room. If you can undo the one in the center (in the circle) you'll have a shot at the demon wraith.

Have your thief concentrate on finding/defusing traps while the rest of the party covers him (they can either fight and block the way to him or lure the attacking wraiths away from him while he does his job.)

Not sure if you are high enough level to do much but undead turning may help keep the wraiths off your back.

Angulimala is correct about buffs being quite helpful and since you have a priest of Lathander you should have a very handy spell when it comes to fighting undead (Boon of Lathander).

The last time I did this room I had a tank or 2 that could make through the center trap to the demon wraith (protagonist being a high level undead hunter paladin) while the rest of the party hung back and waited for the thief to deal with trap clearing-I almost ignored the minor wraiths as they disappear (thanking you and getting you a little exp) when you take out the top wraith anyway.

Not sure if spellcasters can support whomever fights the main wraith from afar (if the trap keeps them too far away or not). If the Boon of Lathander spell doesn't outlast the demon wraith you may want to combine clerical doom spells, lower resist magic spells, and your favorite give foe a bad day (for me feeblemind can work wonders) spell while your best character to deal with the demon wraith holds him off.

I think a berzerking Barbarian is immune to level drain so get him in on it too.

A bit off topic but I usually take mages over sorcerers because they are flexible (besides, Nalia's mini thief experience lets her use some bows-including the powerful magical gesen short bow-and elven chain).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmmm... I don't remember that fight as being all that difficult. But then I chose to do Watcher's Keep as part of ToB. My suggestion is to follow the advice of Angulimala and do the remainder of the keep after finishing the underdark -- or even during ToB. The fights just get tougher from where you are at.

If you're having problems with the wraith demon, you are seriously overmatched for what is coming in the next two levels.

Actually, level 12-15 is a great time to get to Spellhold -- Imoen won't be far behind you in level when you free her (she'll actually be useful).

5. ShadowWolf Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Wraith demon

Thank you guys,

the problem that i am having is that this demon dose a protection from magic weapons the second we come through the portal, and right after that yoshi gets hit with chaos or whatever so that i lose control of him right from the git go.

i tried prebuffing before stepping through the prior portal, as that is where my current save game is, whoever i am still getting stomped.

i gave my cleric priest of lothander the boots of speed, the mace of disruption +2 a shield that gives protection from charm hold ext.., gloves of weapon skill, helm of defense, amulet of power, ring of protection +2, regular full plate, i mean she has got all my best gear that she can use.

ill try again lol

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Try Scrolls of Protection from Magic/Undead...

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Buff with Chaotic Commands before going through (Chaotic Commands protects against Confusion and Chaos). Have the Cleric cast Bolt of Glory (10d6 with no save -- but you may need to lower MR first). Have your sorcerer either lower resistance or cast Breach to remove the Prot from Magic Weapons. Have Mazzy attack wth a bow (after Breach), Yoshimo disable traps (he should get Chaotic Commands as a priority), and the Barbarian can go into rage. Jaheira should have Stoneskins on and can also do some serious damage as a tank.

And I was serious -- the stuff justs gets tougher as you go down. Get through this guy and try again after Spellhold.

8. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Bolt of Glory ignores MR if I remember correctly :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.