1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Star Trek (the new one)

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Death Rabbit, May 11, 2009.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] ...was simply awesome, all the way through.

Great scenes, great effects, great story, and completely faithful to the canon while establishing something new and fresh. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I honestly can't remember the last time – persnickety little movie detail curmudgeon that I am – where I didn't latch onto the flaws and mentally complain about them for weeks after the fact, letting them ruin the experience for me (like Wolverine). It was just thoroughly enjoyable. I thought this movie was extremely well done and about as close to perfect as a sci-fi movie can get that I think I've ever seen.

I know AMaster disagrees, but whatever - I thought it was an A+. I'm definitely seeing it again while it's in theaters, and it's actually the first movie I've ever seen that, while watching it in theaters, I actually made plans to buy it on BlueRay the moment it comes out. Yeah, it's that good.

And if that's not enough: it has a hot stacked green chick in her underwear and Zoe Saldana prancing around in a miniskirt and hooker boots the whole movie. Definitive proof that baby Jesus loves us and wants us to be hopeful for the future.

2. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm really looking forward to seeing that movie! More so now I know that hooker boots are involved!

3. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    It was an absolutely mint film :) I have heard nothing but praise from all my friends who aren't star trek fans, which is nice, its definately an IP that needs a good refreshing...Also I loved the style of the ship interiors and buildings and such, its much grittier and real. I enjoyed the light hearted attitude it took all the way through and didn't feel it was out of place, and Simon Peggs Scottish accent was pretty good :D

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    It's a lot of fun. It's also indescribably stupid :p

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I really enjoyed it as well and Simon Pegg's accent was spot on ;)

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

You blasphemous little bugger! Of course, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, as looking at hot chicks in underwear and hooker boots also qualifies one as blasphemous, and I am fully planning on blaspheming this weekend.

I'm guessing the green chick is like the one in the original TV series (Rigelian, IIRC) but this Zoe Saldana person -- who is she? Both in real life and as a character in the film -- I'm just not familiar with her.

Edit: I just googled her. She's attractive enough, but sorry to say that she just doesn't float my boat that much. Maybe after seeing the movie I'll feel differently

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Simon Pegg was probably the best thing about the movie. So rare to see a Scottish accent done well by a non-Scot actor too :D

I can't say I feel as enthusiastic about the movie as everyone else. I didn't feel it was bad, mind you. It was entertaining enough, and the effects were extremely well-done, but the story was't great, just good enough.

I think it's some of the cheesiness that leaves it at "good" and no more for me. Someone (AMaster I think) mentioned Galaxy Quest and that may be the reason. That movie pointed out and made fun of every single silly sci-fi trope that it could think of. This one uses most of these same tropes and actually takes them seriously! That made it hard not to laugh at points where I'm not sure the viewer is meant to.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I loved it. Sure, time travel is the dodgiest gimmick ever, but once you accept that (which I have to, given how much I love Doctor Who), then the rest of it was cool. It's actually an inspired way to set up a whole new series of adventures that can happily be inconsistent with the classic Star Trek chronology.

I wonder what they will come up with next?

9. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I guess I enjoyed it. Nero was pretty bad ass, almost a match for Khan in terms of sheer aura.

But the time travel thing and ... evaporating Vulcan. Where the f*** did this come from? Well, maybe I didn't watch the series enough. Oh well.

10. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I didn't watch the series and thus never really got into it.. But this movie.. It was reallyyyyyyyyyyyyy (and I mean REALLY) good!!

The awesome special effects were a given, it being a big budget film and all. I really liked the acting though, I don't know what some of the reviewers are on about :confused:

Four and a half stars from me.

11. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

You've hit the nail on the head -- if I were writing Star Trek stories, it's be a pain trying to stay in synch with all of the canon that has gone on before, not to mention all of the non-canon material that some fans take as canon. As it stands now, they can do whatever the hell they want without fiddling with the original canon because they are on an alternative timeline -- a grimmer one, no doubt, as Vulcan went the way of Alderaan, but a cool one nonetheless. I really, REALLY hope they do a sequel. The casting rocked, though I still don't faint over Zoe Saldana -- I'd rather have the green chick who was her roommate!

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I thought it was also good that Pine didn't try and channel Shatner too much. He can now be his own Kirk, within some basic parameters.

13. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Speaking of channeling, Karl Urban channeled just enough of DeForest Kelly to make us love him, yet he still made the character his own.

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Guide to franchise revival Star Trek style

Ha.

15. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    The idea here, is that the time accident in Spock's distant future, that sent him and Nero into the past, changed the timeline. This accounts for significant changes in the course of events, from different starship interior, to Vulcan being evaporated in this timeline:aaa:. Even Kirk grows up as a bad-boy without a dad, whereas he didn't originally. But some things remained the same, perhaps because they were 'destined to be', like the Enterprise crew.
    I was very skeptical, when I heard years ago that they'd be doing a movie about The Original Series. This oldest series was the least appealing to me, with it's cheesy sexism, poor special effects, inconsistencies, lame stories, and the worst, most narcissistic actor in the entire franchise (William Shatner).
    But I was nothing less than blown away by the awesomeness of the movie. It's fast-paced but not overdone, an interesting and engaging storyline, very convincing actors portraying young characters, quality jokes, it's got it all. I couldn't find a single flaw in the movie. Zachary Quinto a.k.a. Sylar from Heroes, played an amazing Spock. The lucky bastard will be typecast as Spock now instead of Sylar.
    A 10/10 from me:thumb:

16. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I felt similarly. The dialogue and acting were pretty campy, but hey, after watching a preview for it a few weeks prior (90% explosions pretty much sums it up) I knew what to expect and enjoyed myself thoroughly.

17. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Time travel is so cheap. It is a bid of weakness to create a plot. For the rest, it was a good pilot for a more than average serie.

18. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

and now for the bummer part.

1. Spock only got aroused once every 7 years. So no playing with women.
    2. Scotty was way to much of a smartass instead of the engineering nerd he was.
    3. Bones never got the chance to say "She's dead Jim, she's dead!" which completely irratated me since he said it in EVERY episode.

4. Zachary Quinto had to have his fingers glued together to do the live long and prosper sign.

19. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

I was never a...how do you say..."Trekkie"...but thoroughly enjoyed the movie nonetheless. Very polished. It was packed with heart, great acting, witty humor and just the right dose of action. A welcome flick after the disappointment of others this year.

20. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] After thinking about the story ending, I just realized something about the final battleground: Just a few minutes warping distance from earth, there is now an enormous black hole. It's gonna pose a very real problem, as its gonna start reeling in stars, including the solar system.:mommy:
    The black hole will be massive, since one drop of 'Red Matter' was enough to create a singularity large enough to swallow the planet Vulcan, and there was gallons of the stuff on the exploded ship from the future!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.