1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What game would you Un-play?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by diagnull, May 15, 2009.

1. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

So, playing video games, especially RPGs, is a time consuming hobby. And sometimes we don't get out of it what we put into it. Other times, we wish we could experience an old classic all over again.

So, I thought, what games would I like to un-play so that I could either play them again fresh, or avoid wasting time on them altogether.

The replay list is easy:
    Ultima 4 and 5, Baldur's Gate II, NWN mod Excrucio Eternum, and Half-Life.

These are games that were, to me at least, a great experience the first time, and are the measuring sticks I use for if a game is "good" or not.

The ones I wish I could have my time back from:
    Half-Life 2, NWN "premium" Mod - Kingmaker, and Shadow of the Colossus.

Kingmaker was just bad...possibly the worst RPG I've played. HL2 was just too long and had too much filler. SotC was good, but the ending bummed me out so much that I felt a little gipped.

So, what games are on your list?

(I could probably ask the same basic question in the books and movie forums, but I'll try to restrain myself.)

Cheers!

-D

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Replay - Ultima 4-7, Betrayal at krondor, BG 1 and 2, Kotor 1. Morrowind, Oblivion, monkey island 1-3. Quest for Glory 1-4

Un-Play - Neverwinter nights 1. Diablo 2, Kotor 2.

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Let's see... Pool of Radiance 3D, Neverwinter Nights OC, Might and Magic II, Ultima II, Menzoberranzan. And the absolute first prize goes to Dungeon Siege for being the most boring game I have played, all genres put together. I'm sure there would be more games if I threw in some adventure and strategy games I've played, but these are the ones that spring to mind immediately and they all suffer from the same problem: boring and pointless. There may also be more games that I never completed and don't even remember.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Couldn't disagree with you more about Half-Life 2. I thought it was one of the best I've ever played. And once properly modded, I quite enjoyed Pool of Radiance. Sure I got bored after a while, but in general it was fun. I like dungeon crawls.

Games I want my time back for: primarily, KotOR 2: The Sith Lords. So unfinished and sloppily shod together I was actually furious when I beat it. I've never felt robbed in playing a game before. I've been waiting 4 years now for a modding group called "Team Gizka" to finish their restoration mod, and it's been in Beta for about a year and a half. Only then will I replay it, but I'm still not keeping my hopes up for that one to un-suck.

5. diagnull Gems: 5/31

I forgot about Dungeon Siege...I really wanted to like it, but I felt like I was playing a tech demo instead of a game.

Also, somehow I forgot to mention Ultima: Ascension. maybe I blocked both of those from my mind.

About HL2, I agree that it had some good moments, but there were too many long drawn out filler parts to get to everything. If you took out the boat level, the jeep level, and trimmed in a couple of other places, it would be much better. (IMHO)

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

BG1 would definitely top my list, is really enjoyed it. BG2 coming in a close 2nd place. Also, i really liked the Dark Sun series the 1st time through them. And Wizardry 8.

I would love to un-play the Al-Qadim AD&D game, basically was a bore. Also, Wizardry 4, The Return of Werdna, another big stinker.

7. Ziad

Media:
    I don't blame you, I've been trying to block Dungeon Siege out of my mind for a year :shake:
    I've never played Ultima IX and I decided rather early on that I would not play it until one of the interesting remakes (currently 3 still alive: Forgotten World, Infinity Eternal and Redemption) gets released. Or I should say if any of them gets finished.
    Speaking of Ultima, the only good thing about Dungeon Siege is that it spawned the Lazarus remake of Ultima V, which would be the best gaming experience I've had in the past 3 years.

What? Blasphemy! Wizardry 4 is the most original RPG I've played. It's also the toughest but there's no way I would consider a stinker. Al-Qadim was disappointing (I was expecting something closer to Dark Sun, not an action/RPG game) but it wasn't that bad.

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ziad, sorry, I thought the idea of Wizardry 4 was great, but it just didn't do IT for me. Ya know the feeling ya get when you just defeated that super-uber boss? The boss that took a whole bag of Cheetos and a 2-liter of Coke to beat? I didn't get that feeling with Wizardry 4. But i got that feeling consistantly playing Wizardry 8. And 1,2 and 3 for that matter.

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't know that there are any games that I absolutely wish I had never played and would never play. However, one I wish I could unplay and replay over and over is Planescape: Torment. Awesome game.

10. Ziad

Media:
    Well said dmc. I mentioned in another thread earlier this week that the first playthrough is special. If you could un-play PST then all your playthroughs would be as magical as the first one... That would be great!

Blades, I see what you mean. I've never been a fan of the Kill Foozle endings in RPGs and my favourites consistently include a different kind of ending or a different kind of gameplay, which is probably why I love the idea of Wiz 4 and the game itself, even though I never managed to finish it (or even get very far for that matter)

11. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Any games that I'd wish I could unplay for the sake of experiencing it all anew would have to have a good story. Therefore, my vote would go to Fallout 1 & 2 and Planescape: Torment.

Games I wish I hadn't played... Can't say I can't think of any. Even the games that I played and hated, I wouldn't want to unplay, as I never spent much time with them in the first place, and they did teach me to ignore any sequels that come out from those franchises from then on, no matter how many good reviews it gets. Therefore saving me from future disappointment.

A few games that fall into this category:
    Fable, for not working on my computer at all and not having any support / patches whatsoever. Crappy console port. I seriously have only been able to play maybe a minute of this game, as it crashed to desktop after that time and wouldn't even get to the main menu after that. There were others that had had the same problem, but in a thread on the official forums that was specifically intended to help people get their games working, there was absolutely no reply as to how to fix this.
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2: For introducing catch up to the series and managing to aggravate me so much in only fifteen minutes of playing the game, that, had I bought the CD, I would've launched it out of my window on the 8th floor. And then preferably shot it.

@ diagnull: Halflife 2 had too much filler material and Halflife was on your replay list? I always felt that the entire Xen world was filler material. After beating the Gonarch it really should've ended, and preferably even some time before that, but it just kept dragging on and on.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think Ultima 8: Pagan is the only game I've bought that I wouldn't have if I'd known better.

13. diagnull Gems: 5/31

Ahh....well, when I play HL, I always stop after going to Xen. For me, the endgame is going through the portal. Everything after that...yeah, waste of time...

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I...really haven't been burned much when it comes to purchases. Certainly not recently.

So I guess I'll say Silent Thunder. This was the game that taught me not to trust blurbs on game boxes. Hey, I was in elementary or junior high. Cut me some slack. "May well be the best flight sim of all time," or something along those lines. Turns out that sentence was from a preview, not a review.

Eh, it was from Black Isle (and maybe Troika?) alums. I expect a certain amount of shoddiness from those folks, at least technically speaking. What was there was good enough for me to rate it far above the original. Unfinished? Yeah. Still superior to the original in pretty much every way. Except, I suppose, for absurdly overpowered endgame badassitude.

15. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I would unplay ultima 8 and 9. Such a pathetic ending to a great series. After the bar that the Ultima 7 games set, 8 and 9 should have been masterpieces.

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I remember a game where I drank a shot of beer a minute for one hour -- or at least I remember most of it.... The morning after wasn't too great.

I'm not sure if I want to unplay the game or if I want to do it again though.

And then there was El Bandito -- a scantily clad woman with huge... bottles of tequila in holsters. The victim (or player) sits in a barber's chair, leans waaaayyy back and opens his or her (usually his, men are really stupid at times) while she lets him have it with both bottles (direct pour). The victim/player drinks for as long as he or she can. Not bad so far, but when the victim/player starts to gag someone (usually a big freakin' dude) grabs the person's head, clamping the mouth closed, and shakes the head like he's making James Bond's martini.

Another questionable decision on my part.

I can't think of any video games that come close to either of those.

17. Blades of Vanatar

Now that might make for some good add-ons for the SIMS....

18. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Oh, if we're going there, I'd totally unplay beer pong. So very unsanitary.

Shouldn't you be dead?

19. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I'll say Dungeon Siege. I played both 1 and 2 and I don't know WHY. :(

20. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

It can be done. We have a thing called 100-club in our Uni where you are obliged to drink 100 shots of beer in 1,5 hours. I've never done it myself but I know a few who have succeeded and some who have failed.

Did you manage to get herpes from it? According to Fox News it's possible, and Fox is allways right. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.