1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What graphics card should I get for my PC?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by shadowvamp3524, Apr 29, 2009.

1. shadowvamp3524 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Sup everybody. I just bought and received in the mail The Temple Of Elemental Evil for the PC. The game installs nicely but when I try to play it the game screen goes black then returns to the comp's original main screen. A couple of buddys of mine both state that my graphic card is probably the problem. Funny thing is when I play my Oblivion game on this comp it play fine except for when it kicks off after so long of play. What I'm asking is when graphics card should I use the Computer's processor is a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ and the graphics card that I have is a NVIDIA Geforce 6150 LE. So why is this graphics card decent to use for Oblivion and not for The Temple of Elemental Evil. I figured since TOEE is an old game that I could still use this same card for the game but I guess not could it be that the card is too advanced for the game. Is that even possible? Either way what should I go look up to download so I can play the game. I've been dieing to play this game since I was in Highschool.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You've got a very low-end onboard graphics chip, so it's a small miracle that you can run Oblivion on that at all - I can't imagine it could run normally even with all the candy turned off. Still, it should be enough for ToEE.

Check this help page for black screen info.

3. shadowvamp3524 Gems: 1/31

A buddy at the bus said that I might need a Radion graphics driver. He said that the NVIDIA Geforce that is good and should work. Either way I need a radion 90 something hundred. So what's the input on that info is it good or bad.

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Your "buddy" is a moron.

Then again...

Anyway, if it has an AGP slot, get a GeForce 7800GS. They're rare, so, you want to find one used.
    If it has a PCI-E slot instead, get a GeForce 8600GT. They're like $50-$60 on NewEgg and are miles better than Radeon 9000 series or GeForce 6000 series.
    If it has neither, you're out of luck.

But granted, the chances of something as old as ToEE getting crippled by a graphics card even as bad as that are small.

5. shadowvamp3524 Gems: 1/31

If it's not the graphics card then could it be the sound card causing it. The sound card is SigmaTel Audio.

---------- Added 0 hours, 8 minutes and 16 seconds later... ----------

wait it says to update the video driver, my bro's comp's video driver is a nv4_disp.dll and the sound driver is a sthda.sys. Is there a problem with any of these drivers that any of you know of?

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Did you look at the link I posted and follow the instructions there to try to get to the root of the problem? The instructions are very clear.

7. shadowvamp3524 Gems: 1/31

How do I check the cd-rom speed I've checked everywhere for the speed I don't know where to look. I'm a nwb at this so I'm learning as you tell what's what. Other than that everything matches. I even updated my bro's direct x 9.0 lastnight. He uses this comp for going online and downloading music from limewire. I'm the only 1 playing games on here. Since I lack the money for a 360 otherwise I'd be on there. Plus there are a lot of games out there that's only for pc that I would love to play rpg-wise.

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 14 seconds later... ----------

Oh and plus I make music on this comp too. Which is going alright for doing non-lyrical Electronic music. 2 more tracks and that's 10 then I can burn them onto a blank cd for a so called album. This is on a side note.

8. Taluntain

Media:
    Your CD-ROM speed is one thing that you don't need to check, it certainly suffices. Have you updated your graphics card drivers? (Uninstall the current ones and install the latest ones afterwards.)

9. shadowvamp3524 Gems: 1/31

I've updated the audio and the video drivers both, man this is annoying.

10. Taluntain

Media:
  11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Just to make sure: Have you installed the official patches?

Otherwise, do you have access to a different computer? That way you can check whether the problem is your own computer or something else.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.