1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random School/Work-Venting Post

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Iku-Turso, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Just some 1200 more words to go before I finish old Alex off. Then there's a big test tomorrow. And craploads of classes today. And in fact I shouldn't be on the BoM at all, now that I think about it...

And dear oh dear, good old Elizabeth is still not done yet, and THAT was due some three months ago. Bugger it all.

2. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Damn work is dull sometimes. Makes me want to hurt people... The fire and the screams... Blood everywhere...

....I hate my job.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Cap'n: I've been at work where there was fire and screams -- fire tends to cauterize so there wasn't much blood. It wasn't very much fun at all.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I had a "Busted!" moment at work tonight...

I was watching Team America: World Police on my BB inside the fab, and my boss snuck up behind me, and overheard the theme song (you know... "America! F*** YEAH!!!"). Anyway, I quickly shut the movie off and tried my damnedest to fill her brain with as much information on the tool/process she asked about, in hopes that the overload of info would force the fact that I was doing a big no-no out of her puny brain.

She either didn't care, or it appears to have worked. :evil:

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Hehe, search & replace operations load two of my cores 100% and the others at 20%; RAM use is static at 37%. The duration of a search and replace pass is 35 seconds - as opposed to 200+ seconds with the computer at work. Talk about a palpable gain in productivity ... :shake:

Uploading the 700MB or so to my USB stick at work took about 40 minutes. Writing it to my RAID took 2 minutes. Writing it back to my USB stick takes 20 minutes, half as long.

In a sense this is the final vindication for why I bought my comp the way it is - till now I could only claim gaming needs as a justification for the expenses. Now I realize that, the graphics card aside, I have bought a high performance workstation. All the better :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Job hunting is not fun. Really, really not fun.

I've already been to a couple of interviews, things go really well, they seem interested, they even have money for the research I would be doing, but they have no money to actually pay me. So it's back to square one, trying to figure out where to get more money.

I miss being a student and not having to worry about the real world!

7. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I thought running my own businesses, working from home and setting my own hours would be a ball....how wrong was I? I spend all my time on the computer which means I get side-tracked by coming on the boards. I also really miss having people around me having a bit of banter.

On top of this, my boss is a cow!
    Oh wait....that would be me

8. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

AWESOME SCHEDULE NEXT YEAR!!!

Sooooo excited... I think I'll show it off.

M/W/F- Fundamentals of Macroeconomics, Introductory Writing (GR, general requirement), Calculus I (GR)

Th- Calculus "Lab" (we just turn in stuff), Introductory Field Experience/Learning and Development... These two courses are being combined and are for teaching certification

Online- Intro to East Asian Culture

Makes for an easy 15-17 credit hours (depending on how they credit the combined course). I'm happy :D:D:D

9. Ziad

Media:
    Calculus? :outta:

You have my sympathies :p

10. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Calculus isn't that bad. I've taken it in high school and am really good at (the) math(s) (never worse than an A, 750/800 on SAT portion).

11. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Because of my boss' boss, that [censored], I have the *honor* :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: of working FOUR F'N EVENING SHIFTS STRAIGHT.

I don't know if I want to strangle her or myself with a F'N sledgehammer. Enough, already! Can I get a F'N break?!

12. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Oops, how did I post in the wrong thread? Working two jobs is melting my brain, I think...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  13. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

School's almost over... just need to make it through these next two weeks of exams/papers and then I am done with this horrid year.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It was my son's first day at school today.

15. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Welcome to Hell, Harbs Jr.

Background: Convenience Store Drone
    Special:
    -1 to Wisdom
    -1 to Morale
    +3 Bluff/Diplomacy
    +2 Charisma/+5 VS Taken Chicks

Ability: Use once per day: Charm. If the object fails a saving throw at -5, Charm will grant a +10 Boost to Morale to the caster thanks to the object, but fatigues the user, who for 24 hours, will have a -3 penalty to all attribute scores except Wisdom and Intelligence.

Boring like nobody's buisness (hence the moral malus), this mindless drone (hence the Wisdom malus) job nontheless has some beneficial side effects, such as improving the Drone's overall Charisma and ability to interact with the idiots at work. Once in a day, when in presence of objects of interest (in the present case, woman), the user can also cast Charm and try to charm the socks right off her. See "Ability" above.

I've actually gone to a really bad to a really good reputation at that stinking job... yet the sky isn't made out of candycotton, and there's no Smarties rain, no Jack Daniels is flowing from the faucets at my home... what the hell's going on??? Oh wait... I sharpened my hypocrisy skill to vorpal levels. Nevermind.

16. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Damn.

I had to get a lot done today for a class and my internet went out. Procrastination was reaching to bite me in the ass, but it turns out it will just take a cut out of my sleep. At least I'll get my paper done.

17. shadowvamp3524 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I can't stan the fact that at work I see people flirting with each other and whenever I do it Management gets some kind of attitude. Plus **** why is it whenever someone at work flirts with some of the ladys there none of there boyfriends seem to care but whenever I do it they get all uppity. The boyfriends shopuld go after their flirty women and the other guys too. Plus whenever I see other people bend break the rules or even slack off, they get a slap on the wrist I do it and my hours get slashed up. My workplace states no discrimination but man it does exist BIGTIME. Finding work availabilities is tough where I'm at recently otherwise I'd be gone.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  18. Ziad

Media:
    Our paper got rejected on the same day we submitted it :(

Ah well, time to submit to another journal...

19. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    On the same day? That's tough. Sorry to hear it, Z. Good luck with next submission.

5 things to study for June - and I can't decide which one to start in earnest, so I keep browsing left and right... lousy strategy.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  20. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Oh, work is at times so boring. Sometimes I have to do dull, repetitive stuff all day. Then someone comes along with a problem they've been wrestling with for half an hour, and I am delighted that, eventually, there is something interesting to do - only to find that it is silly easy and that I solve it in thirty seconds :mad: That, on the other hand is the result of doing lots of dull, repetitive work. I now can read the code of our XML DTD like printed text, tables in particular.

Still, there is only one thing worse than being under challenged - that is having nothing to do at work. Then. Time. Does. Not. Pass. Of course, having no work (i.e. job) at all is still and far worse, but that's another issue. I really prefer to have a load of complicated stuff on my desk, and if it's not complicated, then it at least ought to be enough.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.