1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why "-gate" at the End of Scandals?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I'm sure everyone is familiar with the Watergate Scandal.

For you youngins out there who don't feel like clicking the link, the short story of Watergate is that a group of people who worked on President Richard Nixon's staff, broke into the Democratic National Committee's Headquarters, which was located in the Watergate building (hence the name of the scandal - although I do not know why the building is called "Watergate" - it's basically just a big office complex). The break-in occured with Nixon's knowledge and apparrent authority, which when it was found out, lead to his resignation.

So now, it seems that we put "gate" at the end of every scandal of every type, and that's just dumb. I mean, if the scandal actually involved breaking into something, I could see it, but things of minor significance get the -gate added to the end for no apparent reason. It's even extended beyond the realm of politics. In 2007, when the Patriots got caught stealing signals from the other team, it was called "Spygate".

I guess the thing that bothers me, is that it elevates (or at least indirectly compares) a matter of relative minor importance, to one of the biggest scandals in world history. Watergate was the event that lead to the only President in the history of the US resigning from office. That's pretty big. Taping some football signals is, by comparison, rather small.

Is it just me that finds the "gating" of everything to be pretty dumb?

2. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

It's a pet hate of mine. It's silly unless there's some kind of connectin, which there never is.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The complex is called Watergate because it's near a watergate onto the Potomac river (Wikipedia saves).

And yea, it is pretty dumb to keep doing it in the US, but you'd probably be dumbfounded to know that it happens even in non-English speaking European countries, which makes it 10x dumber.

So you're still quite safe... here it really is ridiculous.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    No, it's not just you. I remember having a good laugh at "Monicagate" back in the day. Yes, Clinton lied, but lying about who you slept with and spying on your opponents to win the elction are not exactly the same level of scandal as far as I'm concerned. Then again considering how big the Monicagate issue (I have a hard time calling it a scandal) became, maybe there's your answer. The "gating" isn't just a matter of adding the suffix to whatever the news du jour is, but rather the taking of a scandal-unworthy matter (I didn't know about "Spygate" but it's a pretty good example) and trying to turn it into this huge scandal. Maybe some of the media are desperate for something to write/talk about on very slow days.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I would argue that the Watergate scandal was big -- really big. It entered the public conscience in a way that was not previously experienced and, IMHO has yet to be equalled. One of the factors was the preponderance of the media. Television had been around for years, of course, and radio even longer, and of course newspapers and magazines for centuries longer, but by the 70s the media had (IMHO) really started to gain momentum and force. The population had grown and the number of people with access to televisions in their homes had also skyrocketed. The intense, "round the clock" coverage of issues was becoming more popular and more accepted. This saturation really impressed the issue into the American -- scratch that, the Western world's -- mindset. So pivotal was the event in terms of both media coverage and political impact that the custom of naming any scandal a "something"- gate entered the cultural lexicon of the world.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yep, it seems pretty ridiculous to me as well. It's just the media trying to give a "trendy" name to something, but ending up looking lame instead. Just like that annoying habit they have of combining Hollywood couples' names - Brangelina, Beniffer, etc. Barf.

Wow, that is stupid.

(As an aside, the timing of this thread is kinda coincidental given my post the other day on the Dog-gate scandal (although I didn't actually call it that) in the Obama thread :D )

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Of course he did! I mean, what married man when confronted with the possibility of having an affair wouldn't try to lie his way out of it? (OK, there are probably some, but I'm betting something on the order of 95% of men would lie in that situation. If you're willing to cheat on your wife, I could hardly believe that you are too scupulous to tell a lie.)

Anyway, Monicagate is an excellent example, in that we got two gates out of it, as I've also heard it called Lewinskygate.

Oh, I hate that as well. Although I think I dislike the gates more because there are so many more of them. There's also TomKat, but I cannot think of any others off the top of my head...

And you would be correct in that assumption.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have a dog gate -- it works well and I don't have to let her out, she gets out and does her business in the back yard on her own.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'd like to see them tackle a massive scandal involving Bill Gates... Billgate? Er, no. Gatesgate? Umm, nope. Gatebill? :shake:

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My money would be on Billygate. :D

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    or microgate ... wait, isn't that Melinda's pet name for him?

martaug likes this.
  12. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] In Holland, sparrows are protected, becuse they're starting to become endangered. There was a show where they were going to topple millions of dominos, but a sparrow got trapped in the building. They shot the sparrow dead, to prevent it from toppling the dominos. It provoked outrage from the public.

It became known as 'musgate' (sparrow-gate). :nolike:really lame.

13. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    The reason is simple. The media is filled with unimaginative clods who couldn't come up with a new name if there were a republican werewolf breathing down their necks! All in all, it makes it really surprising some of the BS they throw on the news. I mean, you'd think someone who is completely uncreative would have trouble coming up with lies and such, wouldn't you?

martaug likes this.
  14. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

WindowsGate? Oh no wait, we already have that, it's called Vista.:D

15. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Bill Gates... wasn't that about the Bill Clinton scandal? :shake:

16. Thalyr Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I remember thinking when I was a kid, wait the president did what at what hotel? Because I heard of Watergate, but only knew it was a hotel's name so I assumed all -gate words were hotels too.

17. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    We put the word "gate" on the end of something scandalous for the same reason Apple puts the litter "i" on every piece of crap they make - it sells!

LKD likes this.
  18. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Best explanation of the phenomenon so far. Excellent parallel too :lol:

Just wait until Windows 7 comes out :shake:

19. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    It's been going on forever, just think of the Pearly Gates.

20. Halasz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It doesn't even have to be a political event for something to be "gated"... Nipplegate anyone? :nolike: I hate it when people name things like that!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.