1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

sorcerers

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by aegron, Jul 8, 2000.

1. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Can anyone tell me something more about the new class added that is sorcerers. cauz the stuff in the faq wasn't to clear and i'm really curious. also why are they reintroducing jaheira? or edwin? it beats me
    for i don't think their very usefull (i'm a mage myself) And well everyone knows my opinion off imoen :p

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

First off the sorcerer is a 3rd edition class. To the best of my knowledge it isn't going to by in BG2. You'll have to play NWN or PoR to play one. All I know is that a sorcerer is a conbat mage. They have less access to spells and have more fighting ability. I don't have any details. You can read about them on the AD&D home page. Long live TSR.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] To break some myths here...
    As you can read in my guide to kits, sorcerers will be in BG2.
    Not implemented right probably, but still there if anyone will want to play with em.
    What we know about sorcerers at the moment:
    - Charisma (!) will decide how many spells they're able to cast
    - They will get to cast a number of lower level spells CONTINOUSLY (think of magic missile used 20 times in a row) without having to memorize them (they will be memorized permanantely)
    - They will learn high level spells much slower than your ordinary mages, but when they do... RUN!!!!

How much of that will actually be implemented in BG2 is still a mystery... WOTC are keeping 3rd under wraps as it is and more info about the sorcerers won't be know until 3rd is actually released in August. More speculation at that time. ;)

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited July 10, 2000).]

4. Kindillin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Okay im gonna set the facts straight. Sorcerors dont have to carry around spell books, they have a mental spellbook. instead of planning what spells you are going to cast beforehand the sorcerer may choose what spell he is going to use on the fly. the sorcerer and mage differ in that the mage can have alot of spells in his spell book but can memorize few, while the sorcerer would be able to cast many while he can only hold a few spells/level in the "mental" spellbook. for example, the mage has 4 max in his book and can cast 2, while the sorcerer can have 2 in his mental spellbook and cast 4. Also i think that sorcerers have more access to battle spells not quite sure though. another neat thing about 3rd edition is that mages and sorcerers can wear any armor they want, but there is a spell failure chance if you wear armor. for ex: with leather armor they would have a 10% spell failure chance while if they wore plate mail they would have a 50-60% spell failure chance. of course if they wore no armor there would be no spell failure. Another neat thing is that every class levels up at the same rate so for example all the classes get to level 2 at 1250 exp... not sure if thats it though jes an example. ALSO, i think the stat generation is changed in 3rd edition too, bonuses for stats begin at 11 or 12 i believe and negatives start at 9 this was done to abolish that big dead zone where it didnt matter too much what stat you had (9-14?) also it costs more than 1 point to get to the high stats. All the stats start at 9 or 10 and you have to build them up with the points. for example its 1 point to go from 9 to 10, but if you wanna go to 18 its 16 points from 9 to 18. (think thats right) and to add to what i said earlier, that is another reason why bonuses start at 12 or so.
    anyhow if you have any more questions just ask... ill post the site i got that info from in a bit when i remember the address. hope that shed some light on it. Also from what ive seen with all the feats and abilities and proficiencies etc it looks like characters are FAR more specializable now and IMO 3rd edition is gonna kick the living shit outta 2nd...

5. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] Sorcerers will be almost like a fighter\mage without having a dual class. They will have to be evil or neutral I believe. I have been paying a lot of attention to BG2. I'm not sure about this but I've heard in various chat rooms that there will be a necromancer. A wizard dealing with death magics, he is even more devoted to magic than a mage and can't even use gauntlets unless they are meant for necromancers. Also, I've heard they will be able to weild shields and wear helmets designed for them. Once again this is chatroom rumors and I'm not sure if it's true or not. However I'm fairly sure of the sorcerer. Also I've heard rumors of a knew race of dark elves, apparently they are elves which can only be fighters, thieves, or mages, and they must be evil. Once again merely rumors.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.