1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Religious views and negligence

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Silvery, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Here goes with another thread to rub people up the wrong way!

I'm interested in peoples views on refusing medical care for somebody on the grounds of religious belief.

A friend of mine who is a Jehovahs Witness has recently stopped talking to me because my son needed two life saving blood transfusions. He believes that it's a terrible thing to do and I should not have allowed it.

Personally, I think that any God would be more concerned with saving an innocent life than not and wouldn't have allowed us the ability to perform such proceedures if they were really that bad.
    My argument boiled down to the fact that had I just allowed Ashley to die then that would have been neglect on my part.

As an adult, if Ashley decides to refuse medical intervention then that is up to him (although I would try and persuade him otherwise) but as a child then it is my duty as a parent to make sure that he is healthy

Opinions anyone?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think that as long as it was life-saving, the parents' religious choices shouldn't override the child's right to live. So in case the parents are against it, the government steps in and allows it. But then again, if that means that the parents will consequently treat the child as "broken" and leave him or her to die of neglect because he/she survived against their wishes due to the blood transfusion, you have to ask yourself if there was any point to it all. Or if maybe mandatory adoption should be the next step to protect the life of the child.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I grew up living across the street from a house full of JW's. IMO, they're all nut-jobs. Refusing something as simple as a blood transfusion that can save your life is just loony. :nuts: In this case, you could label me as “pro-life”. I believe that if science has the means to save/extend/improve one’s life, then, if they are able, they should pursue such things with haste!

Perhaps if they dropped that ridiculous belief, their members would stop dropping like flies, and they wouldn't have to go door-to-door looking for new members. The Mormons have that base covered already. :p

4. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ah yes, but looking from the other side of the argument (not that I agree with JW's) religion isn't like a pic n mix stand.

I still think that refusing life saving treatment for your kid is the same as child abuse though

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

In fact, I think in Massachusetts it is legally child abuse, Silvery. I will try to find a source for that info.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have always felt if we weren't supposed to use medical technology then God (if one exists) would have made us all stupid (instead of just most of us). There would never have been a Salk, a Hyppocrates, a Pasteur, a Fleming, or Dunn and Wood.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

You have no idea how much of a pain in the buttinski it is to go door to door -- especially in a foreign language.

On topic, it's people like this that give religion a bad name, but such extremists are in the minority of the religious community. Despite comments and insinuations to the contrary, many religious people are highly intelligent, reasonable, and flexible people. I am one of many who believes that God gave us the abilities to think and reason because he wanted us to use those abilities.

Christ actually talked about utterly stupid rule adherence when he criticized the Pharisees and Sadducees for their distortions of the law and compassionless nit picking. I'm sure he would say "what is more important in the eyes of God -- the life of this child or a rule about 'taking' blood which was actually based around eating blood?" The answer to a thinking, feeling, compassionate being is, of course, the life of the child.

I am all for drastic government intervention in cases where the child's physical health is being endangered. Right to life trumps ideology every time, I don't care what the ideology is.

Ziad likes this.
  8. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Thank god, that it is not up to the parents to decide that in Denmark. when dealing with a child, the doctors opinion overrules the parents in such cases.

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You make it sound like that's a bad thing.
    Actually, that would be a reason to encourage them to carry on!

Anyway, enough silliness (for now). I agree that the position is ridiculous. And where children are involved, I feel it does amount to abuse. I believe in Canada, there have been cases where the courts have ruled that a child be given a transfusion, despite the parents' wishes (I could be wrong, though).

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think this is the case you were thinking about (from wikipedia)

11. Halasz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Its negligent homicide as far as I'm concerned. Legal action should be taken if the child were to die despite attainable fixes.

12. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Actually, I do. Waaaaaay back when I was a good little Mormon boy, I went out “tracking” with some missionaries...and since it was Southern California, everyone spoke Spanish. :evil:

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    To continue on this off-topic note the mormons must have some of the best language schools in hte world. I have met two pairs of mormon missionaries here in Sweden and their Swedish was almost flawless which is very impressive. Generally people never learn Swedish flawlessy no matter how long they live here but these kids who were here to preach for a few months or so had learnt Swedish better than any foreigner I have ever heard.

14. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I (and most Christians I know, but sadly not all) generally hold this belief concering everything in science. If God had not meant us to use those laws, He eiter wouldn't have put them in there to begin with, or would have made us too stupid to understand them. Of course, such consequences of natural laws as flight, radiation, heating, and blood transfusions can be misused, but in the given example, this is clearly a good purpose. If the parents refuse, the doctor should sue for a court-appointed guardian (I think they can do that) on the grounds of gross neglect.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Same here... and Slovenian is one of the hardest languages to learn.

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ... I'm very disappointed nobody has mentioned the names of the scientists I listed (with their contributions)....

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I cannot believe that this is legal anywhere! Regarding the Twitchell case, it is obvious that thier method of treatment was inferior to the medical community's method. Doctors have said it was an easily correctible condition, and yet their child died from it. So we have healthy versus dead. There's not even an arguement to make here.

18. T2Bruno

Media:
    I have always believed the freedom of a parent to practice their religion should not include sacrificing their child. The courts in America seem to be of the same mind.

19. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

STILL off topic, you're right about the schools -- the primary one is the Missionary Training Centre (MTC) in Provo, Utah. I learned more about teaching during my 8 weeks there than I ever learned during my time at University -- your post in another thread about how useless the methods courses at University are made me think of this.

Bear in mind, though, that there are SOME missionaries who never really get the language of the country where they serve. One girl in particular comes to mind -- after about 15 months in Japan she could barely introduce herself and ask where the ladies room was.

Back to topic, I firmly think that prayer is an important part of medical care, and it is to be done WITH all possible medical interventions as well. The Lord helps those who help themselves, as it were. Those who endanger the lives of their children with dogmatic stupidity will be punished by God, but I don't see that as a barrier to giving them severe earthly punishments as well -- lock them up and give the children to familes that will care for them properly.

Back OFF topic, I have 2 things to say to you, Kit:

1: The term is "tracting", as in to pass out religious tracts, even though few people use tracts anymore, and

2: That must have been a LONG time ago that you were either "good" or "Mormon".:D;)As for "little", I don't have any data on either your height or weight, so I'll reserve comment. :D:p:cool:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  20. Silvery

Media:
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks this way!

In all honesty though, I did expect there to be some argument in this thread so I was pleasently suprised to find that there wasn't!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.