1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which edition is your preference?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Beren, Aug 22, 2008.

?

Which edition of Dungeons and Dragons do you prefer to play during p&p sessions?

1. I'm definitely going to make the jump to 4e.

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. I'll stick with 3.5e.

31 vote(s)
    47.0%
  3. Ahhh, the good ol' days with 2e.

24 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. The classic 1e rules. A toast to Gary Gygax.

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This poll is meant for people who play the game pen and paper, or at the very least wouldn't mind trying it if time allowed. I'm trying to gauge roughly what edition the fan base here is going to go with or stick with.

Are you going to jump to 4e now, simplicity and ease of play being the selling points for you?

Or, do you think 3.5e had it about right and that's what you'll stick with?

Or do you remember the good ol' days in the 90s and therefore 2e is your thing?

Or are you a fossil who still lives in the classic age (1st ed.)? :p

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I've never played pnp 1e, 2e I found quite awkward and restrictive (I like making unusual characters as 'normal') plus the only time I played the DM was made of fail :lol:

3.5e is simple enough to play relatively quickly and is simple to learn. I have grown fond of it over the years myself :) I probably should attribute this to both Lokken and my friend Rich from uni who were my first 3e DMs

4e... I am not sure on at all. I have read through some of the books briefly (Only had five minutes to read the whole thing :rolleyes:) And wasn't captured. Something about it feels... unneccessarily dumbed down, in some places it feels like the developers didn't really understand 3e and tried to remake it. :confused:

3. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

2e mostly with some 3.5 thrown in, not to sure about 4e.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I'm already on the 4e bandwagon. I really hope that I get a chance to play soon...

5. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

2ed with the skill-system of 3.5ed, and some other tweaks. Mostly though, we have been playing star wars, and the conan rpg by mongoose. Both are better than d&d, really. Makes more sense, here and there.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I love 2E, but I find 3.5E to be better balanced, especially because of the skills. It's something I always felt 2E lacked, so while my favourite CRPGs are all 2E I'd much rather play 3.5E when it comes to pen and paper.

7. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    3.5e. The rules are simple, and fairly unconfining.

However, I prefer 2e as far as lore goes.

8. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

2nd edition definitively was my fav, but 3/3.5 is far more flexible.

9. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

3.5 for now, probably the Pathfinder version later. The Beta looks promising, but is unfinished.

2e has too many restrictions for my taste, and 4e too many non-sensical rules.

10. crowleyhammer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

2e, i just love it, its easy to add rules to and its easy to play, its also quick in combat, i feel there is more emphasis on the role play than the combat, also you dont need minis to play it effectively.

11. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Does it matter really?

To me it wouldn't matter as long as I am having fun.

I like the old 2E rules because I am more familiar with them and it seems to me there are way too many race and class combinations with the newer eiditions. In fact, I don't mind an old school D&D session when a Dwarf, Elf or Halfing is considered your class.

12. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

3.0e, mainly because I'm too cheap to buy 3.5e books and too entrenched to spring for 4e.

2e can be fun too, though.

13. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i used to be die-hard 2e

but 3e is growing on me i'm afraid..

14. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Right now? Other.

I was told to check Paizo's beta version of Pathfinder (the PHB can be downloaded for free), which uses modified 3.5 rules (the system is jokingly called 3.75 Edition) and I must say I am quite impressed. The base classes have been rebalanced so PrCs are no longer all but necessary, and some of the weaker ones have received a decent - and much-needed, imo - boost. Some of the bigger offenders like Polymorph have been limited, as well. With a few choice houserules, Pathfinder is imo the best D&D at the moment, and I'm waiting for the full release with no lack of anticipation.

15. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I've been pleasantly impressed by how streamlined and...well, "reasonable" the new 4th edition rules are. Maybe it comes from playing too much NWN, with its 5-second rests, but the idea of at-will vs. encounter powers is the kind of all-too-obvious refinement that shouldn't have taken four editions to implement. I've only played one PnP game so far (with another coming up soon) and so far I like it much better than its predecessor.

16. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

until more 4E sourcebooks are out, I prefer 3.5E. I really like the way multiclassing works in 3.5E, but I actually like the 4E approache to useble skills unlimited, once pr. encounter and once a day, I think it makes the none magic classes more fun in combat.

As for actual roleplaying, the system doesn't matter to me, but for the combat part and class building, I would prefer a hybrid of 3.5 and 4E

17. dingle Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

3.5 for now. may have a go at pathfinder though.

18. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I said 2nd then... but now? 4th edition. It's so simple (make your obvious "YEAH, too simple!" statement faceless foe :tobattle: ).
    Someone on YouTube said that the bad downside of 4e seems to be that every character you roll in the same class is the -exact- same guy. That I have to agree with. And that there's no way to justify all the Tieflings (where's the Asimar?) and Dragonborn (migrated Draconians). But other than that it's excellent.

3rd edition? Nah, way too complicated and handmade for munchkin players.

19. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I think the FR campaign book (either the campaign setting or the campaign guide, I don't remember which one atm) mentioned them when talking about Mulhorand. I think they are called Deva in this edition.

Personally, I'm ambivalent towards the 4E ruleset, but I consider the 4E FR atrocious. Well, not so much atrocious in itself... but it simply seems like an altogether different setting, not the one I learned about from books and games and respect and enjoy.

20. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Its just Diablo 2 mixed with WoW now. Its not d&d at all. Just has the logo on it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.