1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Edwin + Boots of Speed

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by HairySun, Dec 13, 2005.

1. HairySun Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Well, to be right to the point, despite wearing the boots of speed, Edwin refuses to move faster, despite the haste symbol being present on his portrait.

For now I've just used Shadow Keeper to up his movement rate, but I doubt this has the same effects as the haste, but it's a temporary solution of sorts.

So if anyone knows, or thinks they know anyway to help me, I'd greatly appreciate it :)

ps I have tried re-equipping the boots or even switching boots of speed with another character, but with no success

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Does he have a ring of free action perhaps? Or any other spell or item effect which bestows immunity to things that alter mobility?

Or maybe your boots are broken. Do they work well in other characters? If so, there is something work with Edwin. Do you really have to give him the boots? I suspect he would be grateful at all...

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    This question pops up every once in a while.

Let me guess: you've completed the Nether Scroll quest, and Edwin's back to his original form? If that's the case, then the boots won't work on Edwin, ever again (it's got something to do with the spell effect that's used to switch him from one "form" to the other).

It's a pretty annoying bug that was there in SoA. Baldurdash had a fix for the SoA version, which unfortunately is NOT COMPATIBLE with ToB. As far as I know there is no way to fix this in ToB. The closest thing is simply increasing the movement rate with an editor, which is what you've done anyway.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

WHOA I never knew that! And yet I still gave advice on a subject I am totally ignorant! When will I get my lesson? :wail:

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just think of it as being a personal limitation of Edwin's, like a disability or something. I don't think of it as a bug, but just another feature of the story that you have to deal with it. You could imagine Edwin coming up with some grand explanation as to why the boots didn't work or why he didn't really want them anyway because he was so great he didn't need them, or something like that.

6. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I like the RP standpoint but movement rate=2 seems like a better idea...

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Now, let's all remember not to have Edwin(a) wear the boots of speed until (s)he is changed back to normal(?). :D

8. Ziad

Media:
    Nope, it doesn't matter if he/she (this is getting confusing) goes back to normal or not. As soon as Edwin interprets the Nether Scroll and "uses" it the first time, and "changes", that's it. No matter what happens (or doesn't happen) later on, the Boots no longer work.

It does seem to be something to do with his entire movement script file, since you can notice some other odd things happening. Sometimes Edwin will "glide" over the ground rather than walk on it, and other times when you click on him you get random voice clips play (critical miss, attacking target, and so on) instead of the selection voices.

HB, as much as I appreciate your attempt at explaining this RP-wise, I'm not very convinced with Edwin suddenly not needing the boots of speed, being able to levitate, and shouting for blood every time you look his way. Although it might be plausible considering what he had to go through :lol:

9. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG]
    Women have their special days, you know... :rolleyes:

10. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    This is actually a core fix in the Baldur's Gate 2 Fixpack over at G3.

11. Ziad

Media:
    I'll need to try the G3 fix then. I tried a couple of fixes in the past, and none of them worked properly with ToB. I'm glad to hear the bug's finally been fixed for good :)

12. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  13. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I guess that if your feet were to hover a few inches above the ground at all times, the BoS would indeed be useless. :p

Besides not going any faster with the BoS, that's the bug my games always have...so I stopped taking Eddie.

14. Caradhras

Media:
    [​IMG]
    You wouldn't want him to trip on the hem of his robes, would you now? :skeptic:

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Bwahahaha I have missed the jester Olath Faern! Caradhras, now that SS made me snicker. :lol: It is actually less than he deserves, really. Edwin is not that special give me a wild mage pc and I will wipe the floor with him (with some luck!)

16. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Turning Edwin into a squirrel doesn't solve the BoS problem, as squirrels can't wear boots. :p

17. Caradhras

Media:
    Luck is needed indeed. You know Silverstar I hope to get back to that game and finish it someday... After all it's only been two years (almost) since I started BG1 with that character.

You could simply ask Korgan for his ax and just cut his feet off and be over with it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.