1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Morrowind - Can't make potions!

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by MegLynSey, Oct 31, 2008.

1. MegLynSey Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I just got Morrowind for the PC.
    I had it on xbox a while back.
    I have oblivion, but I just missed Morrowind, so I started playing it. Which is great, except, I can't make any potions. Instead of "failed" or "You created a Potion", it just says "You need to Typ in your Name", or something along those lines. I have typed in numbers and letters and mashed buttons, and I do not know what to do. Sometimes it will make a few if I hit "create" like 300 times, but lately it just wont make any.

Has anyone else had this problem, or is my Morrowind retarded?

2. Amdis

Amdis Note to self, claws are not toothpicks

With the naming of the potion, that is normal.(It has been a while since i played it.)

As for the success of being able to make a potion or fail is as you know connected to Intelligence and you Alchemy level.(And a bit luck.) Are you saying that no matter how high you have your chars intelligence and Alchemy no potion succeeds?

If so then you might have a corrupted savegame. That can happen quit easily in Morrowind, especially with the quicksave and auto save. Does it happen with all your savegames?

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] If the potion doesn't make a specific effect it doesn't name it automatically and you have to type a name in the field at the top of the alchemy page.

I'd confirm this but I don't believe my laptop can run Morrowind (though I still bought the CD with me...)

It is quite common for a potion to take many, many attempts to create successfully, while your intelligence and alchemy skill give you a chance of success, that chance of success if determined EACH time you make a potion. You may have a 50% chance of succeeding at a certain potion, then have twelve failures in a row. It's just how it works it out. At least with each failure your skill still goes up a bit.

4. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

No, that happens to me, especially if I type in some cute or catchy name for the potion(s) that I'm making. Sometimes re-typing the name helps, or taking the ingredients and/or equipment out and then putting them back in, but it's pretty random. It also didn't matter what my alchemy skill was--just for fun I consoled my alchemy skill to 500 and the "you need to type in a name" thing still happened.

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    el timtor, did you play Oblivion before playing Morrowind? Making potions in Morrowind is much harder than in Oblivion. If there is no effect shown for the potion you cannot make it. You can't name something that does not exist. I think that message "You must type in a name" is a bit of a bug. Instead it should, IMO, tell you point blank. "Dummy, you ain't got no potion. Try again."

6. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

No, Morrowind is the only Elder Scrolls game I've played.

But I do get that problem that started this thread. Example:I'll have two ingredients in the alchemy window that yield "Fortify Speed" and I rename the potion "Runner's Friend" or some such. Every so often, instead of creating a potion (or failing) the game will just say "You need to type in a name" and do nothing.

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ah ha, Thanks for the info. I think there may some type of bug or the naming system is set to "Runner Friend" with no punctuation. But I do NOT know for sure. Have you tried the official Beth Morrowind forum?

If when I first played I tried to rename and it didn't work I probably just went with the generic name. I must check out Oblivion. Since I find alchemy in Oblivion very boring I just go through it as fast as I can.

8. immortal505 Gems: 1/31

Try putting your Mortar & Pestle and the ground, pick it up and try it again. It worked for me just a few minutes ago. This is one weird bug, it has nothing to do with Intelligence or the name itself. The amount of messages of "Type in your name" just slowly increasing over time until it blocks out all the "succes" and "fail" messages.

Btw if it still doesnt work try this(this is what I actually did):
    Put the Mortar & Pestle on the ground.
    Drop your Retort on your character window (It opens up the Alchemy window).
    Try to make a potion (what wont work ofcourse), an other kind of message will apear.
    Pick up the Mortar & Pestle and try again.

Worked for me. Were all "succes" and "fail" messages again.

9. SaberTooth98 Gems: 1/31

Even though I wasn't the one who posted this forum..... THANK YOU!!!! :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.