1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Female gnome cleric/illusionist paper doll & mage robes

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Maertyn, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Heya,

I'm playing a gnome cleric/illusionist at the moment and I hate that robes have no effect on the (cleric) paper doll. So I decided to change the paper doll to a mage's. Said and done (with CTRL+7 cheat) I noticed with horror that the doll was male! In the inventory screen there is a female doll, in the actual game there isn't!

I created a new game and started anew with a female gnome illusionist. She, too, got an ugly bald head and a beard. Can I do something about this?

I have G3 Fixpack and Tweaks installed but when I searched through the .DEBUG files there is no mention of any component named "*doll*", so I guess it happens in an unmodded game, too?

Also: How can I change all robes in the game to the looks of the Archmagi robes, not the silly Vecna look?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Shadowkeeper is your friend.

3. Maertyn

[​IMG]
    Tried that, same results: Female paper doll on inventory screen, male paper doll in-game. :o

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    IIRC, there simply aren't any animations for female gnomes and dwarves; they just reused the male ones for these least popular PC choices...

5. Maertyn

That is preposterous!! :mad:

I shall seek a way to conceal my baldness then... :o

Btw any clues on that cloak thing...?

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Someone used a female dwarven picture as an avatar at G3 (1st post in the thread)

Not sure how you'd use it in a game, though.

:p

7. Maertyn

[​IMG] Splunge, my eyes!! :p

Anyway, anyone searching for a change in looks on the Vecna robe, google for "better-looking robe of vecna" and have a good day! :cool:

EDIT:

OK, this is complicated. The nicely hooded robes with the wavy(?) backs like the Robes of the Whatever Archmagi are only displayed properly on pure-class mages. If you change a multiclassed mage to a mage paper doll he will appear as if wearing a standard issue robe. So... do the following:

1. Change paper doll to mage by use of cheat keys CTRL + 6 and CTRL + 7
    2. Put on magic robe
    3. Change armor (i.e. robe) level to 3 or 4 by use of cheat key CTRL + 1
    Repeat step 3 whenever you change your armor (so you best not do it too often to save you the hassle).

I hope this helped anyone still playing these great games with discriminated characters like female cleric/illusionist gnomes! :rolling:

One last tip: A helmet works wonders against the male paper doll's baldness (does not work for pure mages, though)!

EDIT2:

Very very sadly the cheat key usage does not get saved; you'll have to repeat all three steps on a load. I think that Shadowkeeper can change the paper doll permanently but you'd still have to manually change the armor level. Bummer. No reloading then I guess? :p

8. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Good job, you caught one of the mistakes they made in relation to uncommon classes. I suspect it is hardcoded into the game like mistakes I found disallowing Druid/Mages of any gender.

As you already know the cleric/illusionist looks female-I'd just go with that. I don't know how to fix the robe problem.... sorry.

Helmets cover many things but sometimes they don't look natural (such as on a mage without any armor).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  9. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Ever tried 1PP? That's sure gonna fix your problem - I think :p

10. Maertyn

[​IMG] I searched for that 1PP you mentioned, Shaitan, and it looks like an interesting project. Though I skimmed through their forums and found some posts that bolster pplr's statement of hardcoded gender discrimination:

EDIT:

Another update on the robes problem (good news this time):

If you use Shadowkeeper to change your paper doll to a mage's, you will get the proper robe display - which means if you can justify the tool you eliminate 100% of all the hassle I described in my post above! In conjunction with a helmet I'm really pleased how the paper doll works out - it's a minimum of 34.8% more fun than before! :cool:

11. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

You may try using female halfling thief avatars, and use TuTu fix (it can be applied to BG2 as well I think) to make all unarmored avatars hooded and voila. Though all of the unarmored people in your game will have rogueish hooded avatars. :hmm: Meeh there is no easy solution for your problem. I want a beardless human male mage avatar/paperdoll too! I don't want skinny tiny elven mage ones. :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.