1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG 1 Import/Items

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Illasos, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Illasos Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi,

(Not sure if this is the correct forum, please move if necessary)

A while ago I finished Baldur's gate 1 + TotSC, but unfortunately I've lost the savegames. I was wondering if there are downloadable savegames availlable or mods that provide (major) items from BG 1 for BG 2. I've never used the import option before and I would like to play BG 2 with the benefits of the BG 1 items.

Thanks in advance.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You can just create any items you want from the BG2 console (all BG1 items are also in BG2). Just grab one of the item lists off SP here and check the cheats page here for instructions on how to console in the items.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Only a few items are really imported. You would need to cheat to have some of the really cool things in BG2 (such as Cloak of Balduran).

4. Illasos Gems: 1/31

Thanks, Taluntain.

Do you perhaps know where I can find a list of those few items. I'd like to start with as much BG 1 items possible without cheating, just the special weapons/armor etc.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The best spot is probably Dan Simpson's walkthrough (which you can find here on SP).

Slight Spoiler:
    You start BG2 in a prison with NO equipment. All your items have been stripped and your captor has sold most. There are only a few items which carry over -- the Golden Pantaloons are probably the only of any consequence. Only three other items will import -- a weapon, an armor, and a protective item (ring, helmet, etc.) -- and are scattered in the dungeon. But the default items you find (i.e., what you get if you did not import) are the best ones IMO. All the items are listed in the walkthrough (with cheat codes -- except the pantaloons, which are MISC47).
    I personally think the worst part about not importing is the loss of the ability boosts from the tomes in BG1. Another downside is the lower exp points you have when starting BG2 compared to importing a BG1/TotSC saved game. Both of these are easily adjusted with ShadowKeeper (also available on SP).

It sounds like you haven't played BG2 before -- I would recommend against adjusting equipment for a first run (you don't need any of the specialty items -- and they're not as powerful as one you'll get early on in BG2). At most, give your character the stats he or she had at the end of BG1 and the 161,000 xp for TotSC and just play.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  6. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Rabain made a mod with some of the cool items from BG1 imported into BG2. Or you could do as T2/Tal says

7. Illasos Gems: 1/31

I have played before :) But never done any importing. Just 3 random items, I thought it would be more significant. I'll just add the stats from BG 1 Tomes.

Thanks everyone.

8. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    That's something that interests me, too.

So far I've nowhere found any precise information of what items exactly are imported. If it is random, does it mean that if my BG1 main char has Spider's Bane equipped as weopon, it might be imported?
    Or is there a distinct list of items which are imported exclusively?

I don't have my old BG1 saves anymore, so can't test it myself.
    Only once I did import my BG1 character, but it is this long ago I can't remember
    what was carried over.

I checked Simpsons guide but didn't find a precise answer.

9. Shaitan

I actuall think I remember Dan Simpsons FAQ to give you adequate answers, but I'm a bit unsure as it is many years ago since I read that walkthru.

I don't think Spiders Bane is one of the random weapons imported.

10. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Dan Simpson's guide is usually right. When I was first going through SoA it was quite useful. He makes mistakes like being wrong about if you are a thief or not determining if you can work for Bodhi rather than if you are aligned to an evil alignment.

But other than that he is usually pretty correct. I would say either cheat to give yourself whatever weapons you think you would actually hold onto from BG1 (good sense and space limitations should be able to help you figure this out) or make do with things you get right out of SoA (which isn't too bad).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  11. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

To keep your BG1 items (if you've imported a character), hit space while the screen is still black, before your PC screams. The scream is the point at which all their items vanish. If you pause, you can access your inventory. Quickly dump everything you want to keep on the ground (I always keep boots of speed and the Cloak of Balduran). Spider's Bane remains as is. The +3 sword you get in Durlag's Dungeon (from the chess battle) turns into Harbinger, a +3 two hander that sprays fireballs every so often (you can also buy this same sword in Ust Natha).
    Sarevok's diary and any correspondance you might have taken with you turns into nonsense, so don't bother trying to keep it.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There's a hack on SP that allows you to just keep everything on the imported char.

13. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG]
    Well, I'm playing an anniversary party though all of Baldur's Gate (I, II & Throne) and when I imported the characters from BG1 some had immediate level-ups because the XP was saved nonetheless (capped at 161'000 but when I started BG2 they all had about 215'000!).

14. Shaitan

Yes that would be the case with Tutu games. I've collected 295000 xp with a sisplayer party in BG1 (tutu) one time, so that's what I usually give my PC to start with.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.