1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cooking In General

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was thinking about your taco question LKD. When I was a kid I used to eat those tacos that you make using the boxed kit, ground beef, veggies, cheese etc. I imagine that if you want to make that seasoning mix then you could probably use a mixture of onion powder, garlic powder, chili seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper and probably come up with something that tastes similar. If you are not sure of the quantities then just use a little bit of ground beef and experiment.

But if you are interested I can tell you how to make a taco that tastes way better and is probably a lot more like the authentic thing.

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

The boxed kit with Hot & Spicy seasoning is actually pretty good with added black turtle beans and mozzarella on top of the finished product. :yum:

Damn, now I want to eat Tacos. Thankfully, I have buisness at the commercial center tomorrow...

3. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Addinig a little chipotle to your tacos can add just the right oomph! to it. If you dont want to mess witht the peppers themselves tabasco has a very good chipotle sauce that has a good flavor & isn't to hot.

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I am interested -- instruct away, Dragonfly!

5. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Tacos

Ingredients:
    -One large onion
    -one large carrot
    -1/2 stick celery
    -one or two large simmering steaks
    -2 or 3 cloves of garlic
    -2 or 3 medium tomatoes or small can of tomatoes
    -one chipotle chili from a can of chipotles
    -salt and pepper to taste

Generally when I make tacos I use soft tortillas not the crunchy ones. If you are really partial to the crunchy shells, I'm sure this meat mixture will still work.

First of all is your meat ingredient.
    I generally buy a nice looking simmering steak to start. Cut the steak in one inch strips so that the grain of the meat is going across the thin part of the strip. There is no need to cut the meat in small pieces because when you are finished cooking it, the meat will shred apart easily with a fork.

Brown your pieces of meat in a large saucepan with a little olive oil, or cooking oil of choice.

Finely chop one medium- large onion depending on taste, grate the carrot and celery, crush and finely chop 3 garlic cloves and add in one whole chipotle pepper from a can. You can add more chipotles or other chilies if you like it spicy or just add the liquid from the can of chipotles of you don't want it too spicy. Add all of those ingredients with the can of tomatoes and enough water to cover the mixture by about an inch. (probably 3 or 4 cups) Bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for about 3 or 4 hours. Keep an eye on it and add water when it gets a little too thick. If you have a slow-cooker you just might want to put all the stuff in there and let the slow cooker do its thing.

After the meat has cooked in its broth for several hours you will find that it easily separates with a fork. Take your tortilla and warm it up in the microwave for 15 sec. Take some of your meat, some hot mashed potatoes, some cheese, some salsa, and some lettuce and roll it up and eat it. You can play around with what you like to put inside your taco but I like that combination.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
    LKD likes this.
  6. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Turkey Sausage

Found this in a diet cookbook and found it better than I pessimistically expected. It's not my favorite pork sausage but has a lot less fat and, I think, less sodium, despite having salt added.

1 pound ground turkey
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon ground sage
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon kosher salt

Combine all ingredients in large bowl, using your hands to gently blend spices into turkey. Divide mixture into 8 pieces [original recipe called for 12 but they looked kind of small to me]. Preheat a large, heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat for several minutes, then wipe with oil [original recipe called for nonstick spray but I don't use that stuff]. Cook patties until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.

They come out browned in spots and whitish in spots but not unattractive, and the spices do make you forget you're eating plain old ground turkey.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I am shocked, shocked, to learn that apparently on Fri, 23rd Jan '09 6:52pm Sorcerer's Place stopped cooking.

Now that cannot be - so let me revive the thread with the recipe for Ragusa's simplistic sort-of lemonade

You need a jug of water,
    the peeled off skin of an untreated (with herbicides, wax or whatever else comes to their mind) lemon,
    and the slices of the rest of the lemon.
    No sugar or sweetener

Put the lemon suff into the water, and let it rest for two hours or so; you can refill once or even twice with longer resting periods. It will have that nice lemon taste and scent but it won't be as sour as if you squeezed out the lemon. Very refreshing generally.

Works with oranges, too. You can also add simple vinegar and then neutralise it with natron, and then add sugar to get more traditional lemonade. The vinegar will extract more from the lemon than water does. Personally I think that's too much of a hassle.

8. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

great idea! i recentli made porkchops in a pan!

i am not completely sure about ammount of ingredients though, so remember to taste

i made this for 3 ppl

4 porkchops: around 500 grams total
    1 tin of chupped tomatoes (350-400 grams)
    4 big cloves of garlic (take less or more if you feel like it, but you could def. it in this
    200 grams of frozen spinach (i guess you can use fresh as well, but frozen is easier to have around
    1 large onion
    50 grams of bacon (just for taste)
    a bit of cream 18% (i used about 1/8 of a litre)
    fresh time
    sambal olek ( a strong chilli paste)
    potatoes(optional but i like it for this meal, you can also use rice or bulgur i suppose)

alright on with the cooking part

brown pork chops in butter, salt and pepper about 2 min on each side depending on heat, they don't have to be cooked the whole way through here though

while theyre browning chop bacon and onions

put porchops in an oven pan(like a porcelain platter with high edges that can go in the oven)

put bacon on pan, fry for about 2 min.
    but onions on pan, 1 min i guess
    garlic on pan
    add 1 large table spoon of sambal olek(it was quite spicy, so take less if you do not like, always taste what you put in before)
    add time 1 teaspoon
    fry it together
    add tomatoes
    add spinach
    add cream

when it is nicely cooked together, add it to the pan with pork chops in it and put it in the oven for about 40 mins on 200 degrees C ( i have a gas stove from like WW2 so i am not sure about this

the potatoes

i finely sliced about 700 g of potatoes (2-4 mm thick i think)
    put in a ban with a bit of oil(not olive or other cold pressed oils as it gets a bad falvour) and a bit of butter, salt and pepper and stuck it in the over 5 mins. before the pork chop pan, and they enden up being perfectly done when the other thing was.

if it is a question about one thing not being ready when the other is, the only thing that really needs cooking in the oven is the potatoes and the porkchops, and since the porkchops are almost done when they enter the oven, just pull it out when the potatoes are done

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Just as an aside on pork chops, here in the states with the "other white meat" commercial series, they have been breeding pigs for less fat, which, I have noticed, means less juicy and with less taste. Thus, if you want good pork chops, don't get them at a market, get them at the butcher.

/end PSA.

10. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Vodka cream sauce

I occassionally make the following Vodka Cream Sauce, usually with Rigatoni. It's my wife's recipe and we both now make various versions. I prefer to use my own homemade tomato sauce as a base, as it's pretty chunky.

1/2 lb of imported proscuito, diced
    1 cup of vodka (my wife frets when i use the Grey Goose!)
    64 ounces of Tomato sauce(my homemade sauce has lots of ingredients mixed in. Garlic, Onion, Carrots, Parsley, Oregano, etc... you could just use a base tomato sauce, but the flavors will not be the same. We have tried some name brands, "Emeril's Roasted Garlic Sauce" was ok, but i prefer my own.)
    4 cloves of Garlic, diced(or just used mince if your feeling lazy)
    1 cup of Heavy Cream
    1/2 cup of parmesean cheese
    1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

- Start by sauteeing the the garlic and the proscuito in the EVOO on a low heat, about 5 minutes.
    - Add the Vodka and reduce for another 5 minutes
    - Add your tomato sauce base. Let it cook for about 20 miunutes
    - Add half your Heavy Cream and all of the Parmesean cheese. Now let this slow clook on a very low heat for a about an hour, stirring occassionally. slowing adding in more Heavy Cream.
    - Make any kind of noodle that you desire to mix-in, i prefer Rigs!

Mix and enjoy... Red Wine and some fresh bread n butter, you're good to go! This is the meal my wife made me and next thing you know, i was proposing!;)

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Steak ... fire.

What else do you need to know?

12. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    How much is a cup? Is it about half a pint?

13. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

DMC, the butcher is the ONLY place to buy your meat. Nothing like a fresh cut! Always befriend the town butcher, ya can't go wrong... especially when you can pay cash, if you get my meaning.;)

14. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I love doing beef in my slow cooker.
    Just put a joint of brisket in the cooker along with a few shallots and baby carrots. Add enough Oxo (or whatever) tocover the bottom of the cooker to about 2". Turn the cooker on low when you go to bed and by lunch time the next day you have a really tender piece of meat that just falls apart

15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes, a cup is equivalent to a half-pint. It is 8 fluid ounces or approximately 236.5 ml.

16. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Okay, so this recipe is something I just decided to try the other day. I made it up, and it turned out pretty good. I am still experimenting with it though, so if I find a better version of it, I will update it:

Cucumber Salsad (Salsa/Salad):

Ingredients:
    2 large cucumbers
    1 red bell pepper
    ~1/2 cup green onion
    2-4 medium sized tomatoes
    ~1/2 cup cilantro
    Red wine vinegar
    Ground pepper

Procedure:
    - Dice the cucumbers, peppers, and tomatoes (to about the size of your thumb nail or whatever seems manageable to you for eating) and put them in a bowl.
    - Slice the green onions until you have about 1/2 cup (you can add more if you like) and add them. (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/123/345577995_46c5922e22.jpg?v=0 for an example of what they should look like; I am bad at describing how to slice onions :p)
    - Cut the cilantro up as finely as possible and add that, stirring the entire mixture.
    - Put the mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes - 1 hour (optional)
    - When serving, individually put on as much red-wine vinegar and ground pepper as you want. Without the vinegar it tastes bland, but adding even a bit makes it taste very good.

(DO NOT (just a suggestion) add oil to your dressing - the point of the dressing is that it is just the red wine vinegar with a bit of pepper. It is healthy and tastes great :) )

17. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

How about a good pulled pork sandwhich...

What you need...
    4-5lb Pork Shoulder (Boston Butt)
    Garlic Powder
    Onion Powder
    Pepper
    Salt
    Kuman
    Peperika
    And other seasoning as seen fit....
    1 to 2 bottles of your favorite BBQ sauce

There are a few ways to go about cooking the pork shoulder, smoking, oven or crockpot. For a smoker and oven the temperature should be at 250 degree F. For a crockpot you want to set it to the lowest setting.

Smoker/Oven - Mix all of your dry seasoning into a bowl to form a nice dry rub. Rub the dry rub all around the pork shoulder. Placed the shoulder into tin foil. Make sure that no juices will escape. I usually have 3 or 4 layers of tin foil. Place in the smoker/oven for 6-7 hours. Once the time has passed take the meat out and let it rest for 30 minutes. After that take the meat out of the tin foil, put it into a bowl and pull it apart. Add BBQ as desired.

Crockpot - Depending on the type of pulled pork you want (spicy or sweet) you can go ahead and add the BBQ sauce right to the crockpot with the pork shoulder (you may have to trim it down depending upon the size of pork or crockpot. If you want a really sweet pulled pork I recommend adding a can of soda to the BBQ. If you want a spicy pulled pork I recommend adding a mixture of Buffalo sauce and water to the BBQ sacue or use a Spicy BBQ and a little bit of water. Let the pork cook for 6-7 hours. Once the pork is done cooking place into a bowl (sauce and all) and pull apart.

I like to serve my pulled pork on toasted Onion rolls with cole slaw (on the side or on top of the pulled pork). This meal will serve between 4-6 people depending upon how much pork is used per a sandwhich.

I have yet to cook mine in a smoker as I am slowly saving for a really good one.

18. Blades of Vanatar

Burgers....

Take 2 lbs of Lean Ground Beef, add 2 tbsp of Ground black pepper, 1 diced onion, 1 tsp of Garlic powder, 1 diced green pepper, 2 Large eggs. Mix.

Make patties, adding small cubes of Mozzerella cheese into the middle of the patty. Grill away!

19. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Resurrecting the cooking thread for my wife's flourless, hazelnut chocolate cake:

9 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
    7 ounces fine-quality milk chocolate
    1 cup Nutella
    3/4 cup unsweetened hazelnut butter
    6 large eggs
    1/2 cup superfine granulated sugar
    1 cup well-chilled heavy cream

Accompaniment: whipped cream

Preheat oven to 350° F and butter a 10-inch springform pan. Wrap bottom and side of pan with a large piece of heavy-duty foil to waterproof.

Chop chocolates into small pieces and melt in a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring until smooth.

Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat and stir in Nutella and hazelnut butter until combined well.

In a large bowl of a standing electric mixer or in a large bowl with a handheld mixer beat eggs until frothy, about 1 minute.

Gradually add sugar, beating mixture at high speed until thick and pale and it holds a slowly dissolving ribbon when beaters are lifted, about 4 minutes if using a standing mixer and about 8 minutes if using a hand-held mixer.

Pour chocolate mixture into egg mixture and stir until combined well.

In a chilled bowl beat cream until it holds soft peaks and fold into batter gently but thoroughly.

Pour batter into springform pan and put springform pan in a roasting pan.

Add enough hot water to roasting pan to reach halfway up side of springform pan.

Bake cake in middle of oven 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Turn off oven and let cake stand in oven 40 minutes.

Remove springform pan from water and cool cake in pan on a rack 30 minutes.

Remove side of pan from cake. Let cake cool completely before serving.

Serve cake with whipped cream. Cake keeps, covered and chilled, 3 days.

Side note from Mrs. dmc: Note that you have to make hazelnut butter (edit: not true, as I believe you can buy it at certain specialty shops - dmc). Toast 8 ounces of hazelnuts in the oven and then sweat and rub the skins off in a kitchen towel. Put them in the cuisinart with two tablespoons of vegetable oil to make hazelnut butter. This should make 3/4 cup for the recipe. Plan on having extra hazelnuts on hand when you burn the first batch and have to start over. (Mrs. dmc habitually burns the first batch of any nut that she toasts, roasts or even warms, it's just her nature - she tries to do too many things at once, and an extra 15 seconds is all that is needed to char a batch of nuts.)

20. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    *wipes drool off the keyboard* that sounds gorgeous!

It's nice out here, and I am absolutely itching to get my hands on a grill and some mtes so I can make these Lamburgers :D

The Epic Lamburgers of Doom

1 lbs of ground beef
    2 lbs of ground lamb
    2 eggs
    1 cup of sour cream
    1 cup of bread crumbs
    1 clove of garlic
    1 small red onion
    chili powder
    Fresh tarragon, rosemary and thyme to taste
    Optional: Soft goats cheese

In a bowl, mix the sour cream and bread crumbs (you can also replace half of the sour cream with soft goats cheese) and let it soak for about 15 minutes or so. In a pan, quickly saute the onion and garlic for 2, 3 minutes or so and drain.
    Add the beef and the lamb into the breadcrumbs, mixing gently. Add the onion and garlic, and herbs + chili to taste. Lastly, mix in the egg, beaten.

The mixture should be solid and only stick into your hands a little at this point. form into patties or other desired shapes, and grill until done. At this point, you can also glop some goats cheese in the middle of the patties for added tastyness. (Or, if it starts raining... the mixture can go into a baking dish and makes for a pretty good "meatloaf" too :D )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.