1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

So how important is Charisma to a Paladin?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by apoum, Jan 12, 2009.

1. apoum Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

How important is charisma to a pally? I know that spellcasting of pallies come from wisdom. And, for them to be good fighters strength is important.

I'm thinking about going max str & wisdom to start. but, i dont want to make a mistake and finding out later that charisma is necessary for a pally.

Also, how effective is a pally multi classed with wizard class?

2. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Charisma provides the pally with his save bonuses, as well as some other things. The Pally's CHA bonus is added to any save rolls, as well as the usual bonuses, and a high CHA can really help a pally resist a lot of magics.

I personally never found pally spellcasting to be all that valuable, particularly if one has a good cleric to cover all those spells.

Multi-classing a pally with a wizard? Never tried it. But it's not a good symbiotic combination, because INT isn't an important stat for pallies. The pally/sorceror combo is better due to CHA being a strong stat for both classes, although of course, you cannot advance the pally levels after taking your first sorc level. Many people will start with 1 or 2 pally levels and then switch over to sorc ... just to get those early level pally benefits. It's really a shame that one of the pally "kits" in IWD2 is that pally/wizard Pally of Mystra, cuz it is such a lame combination.

3. apoum Gems: 3/31

heh it didnt mention anything aobut charisma affecting save throws.

thank you for the heads up :) guess its time to remake the pally.

4. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] If you install custom.dll fix, then paladins of mystra can also get sorcerer as approved class.
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/dl.php?s=IWD2&f=IWD2/IWD2Custom.rar
    Not that there's any use of mixing in more than one level paladin. In fact, I suspect that the level 2 Aura of Courage that a paladin radiates, makes it impossible for your party to go undercover in a certain map in the game:(.

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

It's not the aura of courage which makes it impossible to go undercover in the certain map (it worked for my fighter4/paladin10), only pure paladins refuse this disguise (which won't yield a lasting benefit btw).

While strength is the most useful stat for paladins, starting with maximized wis is a bad idea. During the game even pure paladins get only enough levels to cast level 4 spells, 14 wis is sufficient for this, more is wasted.
    While high charisma is nice for saving throw bonuses, better "Lay Hands" and "Smite Evil" it's not as useful as physical stats, you don't have to make saves very often and there are many spells to boost them or make them unnecessary.

6. apoum Gems: 3/31

14? sweet. just remade the paladin. That info gave me lot of breathing space to put pts into other stats :)

7. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Paladins are quite difficult to build since they benefit from a lot of stats (unlike fighters and barbarians that only need high str and con, decent dex and not too shabby wis.)

Just remember to NOT give your pally too much dex since you'll probably give him heavy armours later on. 10-12 is enough unless you plan on taking a feat that requires 13.

And minimize int! You only need concentration as the only skill and you always get at lest 1 skillpoint/lvl even with an int score of 1 or 3 (unless you're human as they get at least 2).

That should give you a lot of points to spend on str, con, cha and 14 wis.

8. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Keep in mind that Paladins, more than anybody, should be getting long-term buffs from other party members/wands. These next three should be on all the time. You can recast them if you get a poor roll on the random buff.
    Eagle's Splendor: +2 to +5 CHA
    Cat's Grace: +2 to +5 DEX
    Bull's Strength: +2 to +5 STR. You definitely want to recast this until you get +4/+5.

9. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] That holds true for most characters. I haven't used Eagle's Splendor, because of the relatively short duration, but they are definitely worth it. And you can equip luck items on the caster, or sing Tymora's to save you reloading too often.

10. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Actually, I think the duration for Eagle's Splendor is much longer than what's documented (i.e. on par with Cat's Grace). I often use it at the beginning of the day and never need to re-buff.

11. countduckula Banned

Media:
    Doesn't it also increase the number of times you can use 'Turn Undead'?

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

It does, but turning undead two levels lower than the cleric isn't too useful.
    Eagle's splendor lasts 1 hour per level, resting lasts only 8 hours.

13. apoum Gems: 3/31

wow guys :) so much useful info!

Thank you! :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.