1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Restart and reinstall due to annoying NWN2 BUG - ***Spoiler Alert***

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Munchkin Blender, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

After a weekend of trying to by pass one of the few bugs I have discovered in NWN2 I deleted my saved game, character, reinstalled the game, patched the game to the latest official patch and installed the Beta 1.22 patch.

The bug that caused me so much grief this weekend is when Black Garius should summon the Shadow Avatar; however, he never summons the Avatar. Instead he attacks my PC right away. Before I went crazy and removed everything with a fresh install I tried each of the three saves 8 times. That is a total of 25 times of me trying to get Black Garius to summon the Shadow Avatar. By the last try I swore I was going to pull all my hair out. Instead of that I took out my frustration by doing a new install and blasting away my saved game and character, now that I look back at this I wish I didn’t do that as I was hoping to transport my saved character to MotB.

I have started a new game due to the bug listed in the spoiler above. My prior character was LG Cleric 8/Doomguide 10/ WarPriest 1. He was a blast to play, had decent HP (not great) and was OK with weapon combat.

After playing the super LG type of character I knew I want to play an Evil character. I went through all the races and classes and review each and finally I decided on the following character, though I am unsure how I will level him up as there are many options in NWN2.

Race: Yuan-ti (with the Beta Patch Yuan-ti receives blind fighting and alertness feats instead of snake blood – this means I can select Hero’s Luck at first level which adds a +1 to saves and AC)
    Class: Rogue
    Deity: Mask
    Alignment: NE – to match the Deity and to play an evil type of PC
    Abilities: STR 14 DEX 17 CON 14 INT 18 WIS 10 CHA 10
    1st Level Feat: Hero’s Luck

I know my CHA and DEX should be higher but I wanted skill points and weapon damage.

I am planning on becoming a Shadow Thief towards the end of Chapter 1 after it is offered by Moire and that means either the 3rd or 6th level feat will be Stealthy.

If my character is offered to become a NW9 in Chapter 3, I will select this as one of my classes; however, if I am not offered I was thinking about taking BlackGuard, Invisible Blade, or a warrior Prc levels as in early part of Chapter 3.

This would leave one class left; I was considering Shadow Dancer to get the most out of my characters Hide and Move Silently skill with Sneak Attacks. I was considering Invisible Blade if the NW9 is offered to an Evil character.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions! Other options are selecting Swashbuckler or Fighter, but that means I would have to take one of these classes as early as character level 3.

Suggestions are welcome on helping me with my new build as I am just starting chapter 1, this is the first true rogue character I have played and he is only a few hundred XP away from level 2.

2. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    Shadowdancer is awsome for his 'hide in plain sight'.
    If you max Hide and Move Silently anyway this class would be a great addition.
    Sneak attack hide and repeat :).

Btw, one level should suffice as the HIPS ability is his best.

3. Fluesterwitz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG]
    The same happened to me. Although, I haven' t yet installed the 1.22 patch, so it might be unrelated. Is this a known bug and can it be remedied without a complete reinstall? Good or rather evil luck for your new attempt. :evil:

4. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I've had that bug happen as well. In fact that whole sequence of defending your keep is really buggy and prone to crashes. ugh! However, simply reloading a few times has always gotten Garius to do the summon properly.

5. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Same here; as with Sir Fink a few reloads did the trick. Maybe you were just unlucky?

6. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

25 loads and no summoning isn't unlucky, the game nearly caused me to throw the damn PC into the snow bank outside near my door.

However, I now can I restarted and play an evil build that should proivde for some replay value as the game does have two options for most conversations.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just a thing to remember: Many of these bugs were caused when a cut scene was supposed to fire and the protagonist was not selected as the character being controlled. Many times, all you had to do to fix the bug was make sure your character was selected before the battle ended.

8. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I don't control any other character expect the PC. I let the NPC do their thing and more often than not they actually help the PC out.

I still have only completed the prologue as I have been busy working and preparing for an interview for a business analyst position. I did have time to go over my options and I am leaning towards the first below for RPG purposes.

Rogue/Shadow Thief/NW9/??? – 8/5/5/x
    This character build is the designed around the OC story. This build would focus on the story development without any thought of power gaming.

Rogue/Fighter/Shadow Thief/Invisible Blade – 4/4/5/5
    This is power build. This build is designed to gain 5 levels in both as a Shadow Thief and Invisible Blade by the beginning of Chapter 3.

Rogue/Ranger/Shadow Thief/Invisible Blade – 5/3/5/5
    This is another power build. Instead of trying to balance class levels this allows the Rogue level to be higher than the Ranger level. In addition, 3 levels as a Ranger would provide two useful feats, TWS and Toughness.

Rogue/Swashbuckler/Shadow Thief/Invisible Blade – 5/4/5/5
    This build is a finesse rogue that knows how to handle a blade and take his opponents down with his weapon speed and his natural quickness.

Rogue/Shadow Thief/Invisible Blade/Shadow Dancer – 8/5/5/1
    This build is all about striking the opponent blind side from the shadows and jumping back into the shadows.

These are some builds I am considering for my Evil Rogue. I’m unsure if the first build would be possible because I don’t know how the game determines background feat for the NW9 Prc. I do know that the 1.21 patch does not require the background feat, but if I truly make the game a RPG I would not select the NW9 Prc if I do not earn the background feat.

As for the other builds, what do you think of them and which one would you pick and why?

If you have other recommendation about playing an evil Rogue please let me know.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  9. kgambit Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

There is a workaround for this problem:

Open the console

Debugmode 1

Then type rs 3541_death_nwalker

Hit enter

To exit debugmode you will need to type debugmode 0
    then close the console

That should fire off the cutscene where the deathwalker is summoned. :D

10. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I found that after I blasted everything about NWN2 off the PC and reinstalled everything. With that said, I'm still playing the game and I finally decided on the type of character for OC and MotB.

Rogue 16 or 19 / Ranger 6 / Shadow Thief 4 / NW9 4 or 1

11. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

@kgambit
    Thank you, lost a good game because I did not know how to continue!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.