1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Comments on these components

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kenixkil, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I smell the makings of an international drunken LAN party! :banana: Now if I could only afford tickets to Germany... :bad:

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Rags, as I soon as I get a new job I'm coming. :D

3. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  4. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Okay, so I tried Kitrax's PSU tip, and it works fine...so the problem is with the mobo, I guess :(

Can the thing not boot if the screws fastening the mobo aren't secure? (I ran out of good screws, so some of them are kinda loose) I'm guessing it might be that or incorrect CPU installation...although if the CPU's fried, I'm screwed...

5. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I hope you used an anti-static wriststrap when you installed the CPU or else you risk ruining the CPU with a static shock; and that'll ruin your day real quick. Having a bad CPU would also cause the computer to seemingly have no power when you turn it on.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmm....did you double check the front panel connectors? This doesn't make sense, because you've proven that the PSU is good, so even if the CPU is dead, the PSU would spin up, and you'd hear the mobo beep like crazy.

You might have bad mobo.

7. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Okay...so I got the comp working (tested the thing with just the mobo, fans, ram and cpu), installed vista and some games, and it worked fine for a couple of days. Now, after one of my friends put the thing into sleep mode (he thought the big button on the bottom of the start menu was also shut down in vista), it won't boot correctly. When I hit the power button, the fans spin and the drives light up, but the power LED and the other stuff remain dark, nothing shows up on the monitor and after a while it resets itself with the same results. Any ideas on this? :(

[Update]: still no luck...any ideas?? I tried stripping the thing down to its bare bones: CPU, MoBo, Graphics and Ram, and the problem persists. The thing is, is it even possible for a software thing (sleep mode) to have an effect on the hardware? I would think this was almost like cutting power while flashing the BIOS, but I didn't do anything like that so....

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Make sure everything is plugged right, like no plugs in the wrong holes, every PCI device getting its power tip correctly plugged, any auxiliary power plugs on the mobo, the CPU fan and so on. Also, make sure everything is plugged the right way, i.e. nothing is skewed or halfway in. Check if PSU power is sufficient, especially in terms of amperage on every line that matters (some AMD CPUs require amperage higher than Intel processors and thus some PSUs that work perfectly with Intel do not work with AMD).

Yes, it is, although it's hard to pull off. Please note that the BIOS is software too, so software messing up the BIOS is software messing up software. Replacing the BIOS should help in those cases - or a hardware CMOS flash (see your manual on how to do this). I don't say a genuine hardware defect won't happen in ways having to do with software, but that's rare (think drivers killing a video card or something like that). If you didn't do anything like that, I can't really see how it could happen. Still reset your CMOS the way your manual says (and I mean literally). Once you get the computer working, flash the BIOS.

By the way, doesn't your mobo have the option to flash BIOS from BIOS level? My P5Q-E does. You download a new BIOS on any computer, copy it onto a pen drive and then you can upload it from that pendrive in the AZ-Flash utility in your BIOS (should be in the Tools tab). That's how I do it.

9. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31

Veteran

WOW...I cannot believe that fixed it...I just reset the bios and problem solved! :p

Thanks chev!

[EDIT]: Ok...this computer is proving to be a multitude of headaches. So while I was playing FEAR again on this thing, the sound stops coming out at random times during the game, which can only be fixed by quitting the game entirely and restarting. I thought it was a game problem, but it seems to affect the entire sound system. When I go into Sound in the control panel, the sound card keeps popping in and out, as if it's being detected, removed and repeated. Could this be an issue with the chipset?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.