1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

4-Year-Old Shoots Babysitter With Shotgun

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Splunge, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I considered posting this in the AoDA, but I laughed when I read it, so I put it here. :D

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090106/ap_on_re_us/young_shooter

I've got 4 or 5 smart-assed comments I want to make, but I can't decide which one to post. :shake:

2. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Would they be as funny if the lad had had his head blown off??

Mind you, my 1 year old took his toy drill to the TV because Cliff Richard was on (not that I blame him!) so I can't comment

3. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Why do I sense that this sums up the whole thing?

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Seems like that 4 year old can take care of himself and doesn't need a babysitter :)

But seriously: A loaded shotgun in the closet where a 4 year old knows about it and can easily get to it? Crazy!

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My laughter was more of the shake-your-head variety than humour. ;)

@Dalveen - that was one of the comments I was tempted to make. Stereotypes usually exist for a reason. :D

However, in the kid's defense, shooting someone for stepping on your toes seems perfectly reasonable to me. < insert sarcasm smilie here >

6. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Make the rest of the comment. Go on, you know you wanna...

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Damn straight! Who needs a dog, when you can put up a sign saying "Beware of the 4 year old!" :shake:

And another thing: how did the kid know how to use the damn thing anyway? Do they really start learnin' 'em their blastin' skills that young in redneck country?

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    How the hell parents can even think of having freely accessible armed weapons and badly brought up four-year-olds in the same house is beyond me. Some people just shouldn't reproduce. :nolike:

9. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Yeah, leaving a loaded firearm where any child can get to it is a recipe for disaster. It's a mercy the injuries weren't maiming or life threatening. I used to work with someone who lost an arm as a child after just such an incident with another child. Not funny. :(

10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I don't mean to derail your thread, Splunge,but if you think that's bad....

Wow! Holy cow. It would seem "funny" if the guy hadn't died.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28518932/

11. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

What was she planning to do with his\her penis after it had been burned, I wonder.

12. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hotdog?

LKD likes this.
  13. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I hope the babysitter is well, and he gets a deserving indemnity for that. Getting shot is not something that should happen in their line of work, and if the parents couldn't be bothered to keep a loaded weapon out of a 4-year old's reach, they should pay the price and be thankful it's not higher.

Weren't firearms supposed to have a child lock or some such? I thought shotguns weren't easy to fire if you're not used to it, and I'm surprised that a kid like that could do it.

14. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm sorry but... LOL!

I sometimes find totally unfunny things funny, this a case in point.

15. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

If it were a 12 gauge I can't imagine even the buffest 4 year old shooting it and not being knocked flat by the recoil.

The parents should have their entire lives reviewed and investigated by Social Services. The kid definitely needs some serious counselling, too -- anger management, anyone?

16. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

OHH bad silvery:eek: . . . . . . . . . . . . just bad:wail:

17. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'm not sure who's to blame for this. The child... or his parents. And how the hell did the kid know how to use the gun anyway? :hmm:

18. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

That toddler was only exercising his constitutional rights whats the big deal!?

19. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well from the facts that
    a) a 4yr old could carry it
    b) the teenager shot was only lightly wounded
    c) they haven't mentioned any damage to the 4 yr old from shooting it
    I would surmise that it was probably a single shot NEF style shotgun, most probably in
    .410(or possibly but not likely 20 gauge)
    Depending on how old it was it may not have even had a pushbolt safety(probably did)
    Still wondering how a 4 yr old managed the trigger, as the typical pull weight on a shotgun is ~12lbs(they can be modified as low as ~2lbs)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  20. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    The child needs remediation, and the parents ought to be charged with criminal negligence resulting in injuries.
    That child should not have been able to get his hands on a loaded weapon unsupervised.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.