1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What do you plan for New Year celebration?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by revmaf, Dec 27, 2008.

1. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

I may have to look into this getting drunk business. In a review of my personal memories I think I can say with some honesty it has been decades since I did that. If I'm going to stay home anyway maybe getting drunk is a good way to celebrate. Or maybe not; I seem to recall the next day as not so fun.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I shall be rendered comatose.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Going to Basingstoke with the boyfriend :banana:
    His bassist is throwing a party.

4. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I don't drink much so the next day is killer for me...

Which is probably a good thing, because if it wasn't so bad I would probably do it more.

5. revmaf

Well, just so. I think there are football bowl games to watch that night so that's something, anyway. And I am considering a recipe for something called "Good Luck Soup" which combines the traditional Southern U.S. foods eaten to bring good luck in the new year: greens, black-eyed peas, and (shudder) a type of cured pork known as, yes, hog jowl. The soup sounds kind of disgusting but it has a certain juvenile chemistry lab appeal. The question is, do I want to stink up my whole house to star the new year?:hmm:

6. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    The smell might serve the purpose of driving evil spirits out of the house, thus the "Good luck" name... :p

7. revmaf

Well, maybe. I think the greens and peas represent currency and coins, or some such silliness. Not sure about the hog jowl. It does make you think of Hogfather, though, doesn't it?

And the real problem with stinking up the place is that it might drive me out.

Edit: Found this info with recipes, none as interesting as the one I'm contemplating. I am suspicious of the authenticity of the background though the menus sound a lot like the ones I was subjected to growing up:
    http://gosoutheast.about.com/od/restaurantslocalcuisine/a/blackeyedpeas.htm

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

It looks like I couldn't find a place to hang out this year. I guess after the Canada USA game at the WJC, I'll be celebrating with the Stooges...

9. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    We're officially staying home this year. All the parties sounded lame...so the wife invited some LDS friends over for dinner.

My dad's going to be at work too, so he won’t be doing the traditional shooting of his 50cal black powder rifles. :bad: I'm not even sure if I'm going to set off any Roman Candles I still have...

10. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Well, I've yet to have to deal with the dreaded hangover beast (and trust me, I've come close to alcohol poisoning a few times) so the day after is rarely a deterrent. Staying up later than usual is whats knocks me out the next day.

11. nunsbane

nunsbane

Unkown at this late hour....I have three beers and most of a bottle of benedictine on premise. One of three booty-calls may contact me. A family member or one of my few friends may call on the day of new year's eve. If all of them call, I have a decision to make, if none of them call then I suppose beer and benedictine will have to serve.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  12. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Mates place for tea/pre-drinks and then into town to see a band at my favourite pub - went down an absolute treat.

13. revmaf

I did make the soup, and it didn't stink up the place too badly, and it was actually better tasting than I thought it would be. Though I would make a few changes if I were going to repeat the recipe.

Not least of which: hog jowl bacon is even more disgusting to work with than I thought it would be. Yuck. :jawdrop:

14. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    The party wound up being about 20 people, although some filtered out before midnight. I did get quite drunk, and I have maintained my no hangover record.
    I did sleep 'til 11am now.

15. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Impromptly ended up having dinner at my uncle's house. On my father's side, no less. Against all my expectations, I actually had a pretty good evening.

16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is no way you've come close to alcohol poisoning if you've never had a hangover. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.