1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New to NWN2 - Bluff or diplomacy??

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Mudde, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hi,
    I have my new PC-upgrade and this game coming in a few days and I've already started planning on a character to play: A drow LE Sorcerer 7-8/Eldriicht Knight 10/Black Guard 2 (possibly 3 later on).

Which talking skill should I take? I will play the OC and maybe later the expansions.

The sorc has bluff as class skill and the BG has diplomacy (the EK has neither, but some of these skillpoints can be saved or used for hide to access the black guard).
    My charisma will be quite high (at least a +4 bonus).
    With my planned lvling scheme I can have a maximum diplomacy of 11 ranks or a maximum bluff of roughly 17 ranks without using cross class skills.

It's also possible to sacrifice some spellcraft (which will otherwise be almost maxed) and maybe even some concentration (also almost maxed) and take some of both diplomacy and bluff, but these will then be slightly lower.

Which is most useful in the OC? How high should these be to access most dialogue options?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Either are useful and both are unnecessary. It really depends on what you want to do. Most dialogs typically have many possibilities including intimidate, so just do what you want.

3. Mudde Gems: 9/31

I really like having at least one talking skill to be able to solve problems without killing everyone.

That being said, intimidate don't fit the character type.

Diplomacy fits a lawful character but is it too "good" in this game?? (in other words: will the diplomacy options be of the helpful good-guy type of way to solve problems.)?

How about bluff? Will the bluff options in conversations only fit chaotic characters?

And do you generally need very high skill to pass the DC or is it useful to have some ranks in both of these skills?

4. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I always give my PCs high diplomacy, since I like it and it can be helpful at a certain segment of the game involving the legal system. ;)

However, it's purely a matter of preference. Neither of the skills are paramount.

Diplomacy is useful overall, and there is a little quest in which high Bluff (or Charisma, or Eagle's splendor) comes quite handy, but none of the two are extremely helpful, nor will lacking them hurt your progress much.

5. Boy at a busstop Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Even though this is slightly off-topic I feel I should warn you though. I was planning on a LE (or a LN) character as well for my first run.

However, the game is mostly based on a lawful good party, I've heard that MOTB even assumes you took the good path through the game (though I can't confirm that). Even worse, most actions rewarding evil points also grant chaotic points, same deal with good and lawful. Trying to play a chaotic good warlock is practically impossible in the OC.

6. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I have yet to play an evil or neutral character; though I believe Bluff or Intimidate would fit those builds nicely. The diplomacy skill tends to be more on the lawful and good side. I believe bluff to be more neutral and intimidate to be more chaotic evil. Playing anything out side of LG, TN or CE is going to be hard because the game drives the alignment towards one of those three depending on the paths you choose.

7. Mudde Gems: 9/31

Thanks guys!
    I'll probably go mostly with bluff in that case! I'll probably try to reach a high score in bluff and take some diplomacy if I have some spare skill points.

I can still take BG-lvls if I turn NE or CE, so the good-evil score will be more important than the lawful-chaotic points.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.