1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Christmas Jollies and Humbugs

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by revmaf, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Never thought I'd hear that... :p

It is nice to hear that you are close with your family; my dad always talks about how at the end of the day, family is all you can truly rely on (which works in some cases, like my family and apparently Barmy's, but a lot of the time people are just people and suck because of it). Personally, I like my family when I don't have to be in a room with all of them telling meaningless stories about how 'great' college is and such.

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Family isn't always something beautiful/happy/united. You can't understand because you haven't been there. And be thankful you haven't.

3. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

The only thing my family hates more than outsiders are the other members of the family.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For all you people bringing Christ into this, bollocks. The only reason we are under the impression that Jesus was born 25th december is because the biggest pagan festivity took place at midwinter so the early church decided to usurp it. It is a celebratrion to fight the darkness and that lighter days are coming, the christian touch is just a modern fad that is hopefully going to fade away. Sadly the English language use the word Christmas, in Sweden we still use "Jul" and I know you English speakers still have the word "Yule" in your language. Start using it again.

5. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I'd say it doesn't matter if he was actually born on the 25 or not (and I was taught in church that he wasn't), it's the message/symbolism/remembrance that is important, rather than straight facts... as is often the case with religion.

Don't burn me at the stake for that :grin:

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

*burns ChickenIsGood at the stake for that*

:D

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Actually, I've heard at least three other possible dates for the Birth of Christ. Like Chicken said, the actual date doesn't matter. Interesting that you should mention lighter days coming--Jesus Chirst is refered to as the Light. But you find any reason you can to begrudge us a celebration of our faith and call us bigots...

8. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Eh, though for Christians Christmas represents the birth of Christ, I don't think there is any relationship between the date we celebrate it and the date it occurred. Bottom line is no one knows when it occurred.

I spent the morning helping folks pack goodie bags to be given out at a Christmas Eve worship service. Kind of fun visiting with everyone and stuffing paper sacks with fruit and candy, fortunately not candy I like.

Ribbon candy - you hardly see it any more, I think because it is so fragile to ship, but I remember it from childhood and how it was beautiful and delicious both, so I could scarcely decide whether to admire it or eat it. Though I think eating usually won . . . ;)

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Theory is he was probably born during a Summer month as that was when most census were taken.

Yule is the solstice celebration which usually occurs around the 21st and is separate to to Christmas being specifically a celebration held on the 25th. Many practices were carried over from pagan celebration even if the symbolism and rituals have changed meanings and practices.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    8people has it right. No one knows when Christ was born, but the date was co-opted from the pagan mid-winter festival celebration.

I guess I have to say I like Christmas, not so much for me, but for baby Jack.

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Xmas sucks. It's too cold, people pretend not to be a**holes for a day, you have to play nice to the family...even though some of them are the afore mentioned a**holes... :bad:

I only like to spoil the wife with presents and for me to be spoiled by others. Oh, and my mom's food is pretty damn tasty...when she's actually able to cook. :rolleyes:

12. martaug Gems: 23/31

Wait !, Wait !, Wait ! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Am i understanding you right when you say that we are SUPPOSED to get along with our family at christmas ?!?!?

Your joking right? . . . . . . . . Right???

Sheesh, If we can go 2 hours without the women of the family knifing each other we consider it a success. Nothing worse than a pissed off female redneck with an electric carving knife.

Well Merry X-mas & may all your Ho's be happy :)

13. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Oh that sounds like fun....

/me runs though martaug's house yelling, "Nascar sucks, Cowboys suck, Texans suck, Mavericks suck, Rockets sucks, and the Spurs suck mooooooooore!!!" :evil:

That should get the dialog flowing nicely. :p

14. martaug Gems: 23/31

No no kitrax, it's redskins, panthers & detroit tigers, that'll get'em started ;)

15. Gnarfflinger

My brother's gf says she likes how quiet it is at our place at Christmas. I told her I'm to chickenshit to have a knife fight with my brother...

16. revmaf

Well, the day of Christmas is almost over here in East Tennessee and I survived. Hope all of you SP'ers did, too. And I now switch to wishing all a Happy New Year, and what I hate about that is . . . oh, sorry, need another topic for that, don't I?

17. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    I love Christmas. I have really good memories of spending it with my family. I have to agree wholeheartedly with Barmy's sentiments. This Christmas was a little sad since it was my first one away from my family. It was very hard. Still, we managed to have a good day and I still love it. I also love how excited my wife gets about all the decorating and stuff.

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    To get back to what was already a bit off-topic very few if any of the Christmas traditions we have are of Christian origin. People used to go to Christmas mass but that is fading away again. The tree is a recent German tradition which evolved from earlier pagan traditions of bringing in greenery, Santa is also quite recent and is more a creation of Coca Cola than anything else and as he too has pagan roots even if he in the US is named after a Turkish saint. Not much more than a hundred years ago a man dressed as a goat ran around handing out presents and if I remember school correctly the tradition around here was more similar to the current trick or treating of Halloween than straight gift giving.

I just like to point this out as so many people point out that we shouldnt be so commercial or care about presents and whatnot because Christmas is about Christ, which it blatantly isn't (unless you specifically want it to be and I guess that is the point it is an ancient celebration that can be celebrated by everyone with plenty of reasons to go around).

Anyhoo, I had a great one, I really love that ham with home made mustard.

19. Gnarfflinger

I don't remember the Ancient Christians being remembered for their originality...

It makes a lot of sense. You pointed out that the Winter Solstice was the biggest party of the year so that people would not fear the darkness and to celebrate the return of the Light. To Christians, Christ is the Light. It fits into what the Pagans were already doing...

Edit: And we still need to call it a Christmas tree, because a Yule Log is what you get when you catch teh hot chick under the Mistletoe...

20. revmaf

Naughty, naughty. Good thing Santa/Father Frost/Saint Nick/Hogfather has already been to see you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.