1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

2-handed swords

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by schwartr, Dec 10, 2008.

1. schwartr Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I was wondering how good 2 handed swords are in general? I dont know if it would be better to dual wield two swords or go for one 2 handed sword.

2. Ulfgar Prigor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm only on my first run through the game, so I'm not the most experienced player, so take this for what it's worth.

I like 2-handed swords. There are some good ones in the game. Unfortunately, Minsc is the only character in my party that is able to wield one. :o

3. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

2 handed swords are great, especially if youre a paladin ;)
    But even for others, there are some really good ones out there, and you can get them early on in the game as well.

I think damage potential is much higher for 2 handed swords due to the increased critical range from 2 handed fighting style but it really is a matter of preference as it doesnt effect how you play that much.

4. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

i soloed with a berserker from bg1 to tob and i only made him wield two-handed swords, it works great and it looks much cooler than a long sword with a buckler :cool:

5. Lynx Lupo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Hja, but with two weapons you can get many more magical boni, offsetting the damage, critical potential and thac0 malus. Also you can wield different-damage causing weapons, which come handy when you encounter critters resistant to slashing.

6. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Depends on the character, if you have a ranger with the free 2 slots in dual then use 2 weapons. If you don't or have a character that uses ranged weapons like a bow or crossbow use a 2-handed weapon because switching between it and your 2 handed ranged weapon is simpler.

But in truth both work, I have had a dual wielding handed paladin and one with 2 handed weapons. Both can fight well.

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You can do more damage dualwielding if you have the right weapons. But 2-handed is more flexible and more comfortable, especially for ranged/melee switching.
    There are very good 2-handed swords in the game.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The best weapons in the game are two-handed swords. Early on, the Chaos Blade is helpful in the initial areas and Lilarcor is great -- it grants very useful immunities. Carsomyr is the ultimate weapon in the game (great damage and the best mage killer), but only for a paladin; with the War Blade coming in a close second for damage ability. The Silver Sword is the ultimate weapon for the non-paladin (and fun for paladins as well). Although some dual wield combos can do ~10% more damage than two-handed swords, there is nothing like the insta-kill of a vorpal weapon.

9. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Also if you have the 'extra' seller in the copper coronet, there is Joreils Dagger (sp). Which is a very useful 2-hander. It is the one of the best you can get in SOA.

10. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

In Shadows of Amn

Sarevok's Chaos Sword +2 - will get you through Irenicus' Dungeon, at least. If you have the Ascension mod for Throne of Bhaal, hang on to it and give it to Sarevok - he will upgrade it to a +4 sword, though only chaotic characters can use it.

Flame of the North +2 - In Spellhold (Gauntlet, lower level - dropped by the mind flayer in the monster painting room). A nice enough weapon but by that point you'll have Lilarcor. I always end up selling this.

Berserking Sword +3 - Can be got very wearly (from the barbarian upstairs in the Seven Veils in the Promenade district) but is cursed, so you don't want to equip this. Sell it.

Lilarcor - +3 - if you can put up with the constant comments, it's the best sword you can get for most of SoA and you can get it early (Sewers beneath Copper Coronet)

Soul Reaver +4 - Can't be wielded by good alignments. I usually play neutral characters so this is a favourite of mine. It has some very nice effects (lowers opponent's THAC0 with each hit). Can be got almost immediately when you enter the Underdark, from the Kuo-Toan dungeon (demon knight room).

Harbinger +3 - Explodes in random fireballs every so often, so not the safest sword to wield in a crowded space. Can be bought from a merchant in Ust Natha. Incidentally, if you import a character from BG1 who is carrying the +3 sword from Durlag's Tower, it becomes Harbinger in SoA.

Silver Sword - I *believe* it's only +3 (I haven't had it recently) but the Vorpal effect is awesome. Blade - given to you by Saemon Havarian in Brynnlaw. Hilt - obtainable from a Githyanki war party who appear as soon as you enter Athkatla in Chapter 6. Assembled by Cromwell in the Docks.

Carsomyr - 1D12 +5. Most two handers are 1D10 so this is the most powerful sword in the game. Unfortunately, only paladins can wield it.

War Blade - 1D12+4 - another big sword, but doesn't have any other effects. If I'm wielding 2-handers in a game I'll continue to use Soul Reaver for its effects.

In ToB you also get:

Psion's Blade - 1D10+5, immune to psionic effects. Found in the Marching Mountains (Yaga Shura's temple)

Gram the Sword of Grief - ID10+5, 10% chance of poison damage. You can't get this early - it is on Abazigal's corpse. Can be upgraded with the Heart of the Damned from Sendai's dungeon which causes a level drain effect as well. Consequently, you'll really only have this sword at full strength by the very end of the game.

Carsomyr +6 - This can be upgraded with the Eye of Tyr which is also found in Sendai's Dungeon (both that and the Heart of the Damned are in the lich's lair).

Alternatively!

There are some awesome halberds in game. +3 Dragon Slayer is in the Unseeing Eye dungeon (in a room to the north east, guarded by a beholder).

+4 Dragon's Breath is wielded by an ogre in a war party that attacks you in the Underdark, immediately when you leave Ust Natha to go and rescue Phaere from the mind flayers.

+4 Wave Blade - hilt is in the Planar Prison (with the cambion) and blade is in the Sahaugin city, on the prince. If you side with the prince, you'll have to pickpocket him to get it. It's worth the trouble. Assembled by Cromwell. Kills fire elementals in one hit (including Imix the prince in Yaga Shura's dungeon!).

In TOB: Ravager. The most awesome weapon in the entire game. The basic Ravager, which you get from Imix, is +4, but get the Serpent Staff from the lich (Watcher's Keep, one of the seal guardians on level 5) and it becomes a +6 weapon with Vorpal hit. I always make sure one of my party can use this.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.