1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Non intended Party Members

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by pplr, Dec 13, 2008.

1. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I was not able to get importing characters you make for a party work right when I wanted to design my own party. I forgot about that for awhile as the NPCs in the game generally work well enough.

I came across a blog where someone started asking what parties people made when cheating to use control Q to add monsters to the party (one of the few ways to get Bodhi to fight for you, but this messes with the plot). While I generally don't do that myself I have to thank the person for giving me an idea.

If I couldn't make a party of members as I designed it maybe I could recruit people in the game that would work out just as well. As I tend towards a good or at least neutral party this is what I ended up with.

The hardest class to find members of are monks, followed by Bards. Though I found a few interesting ones such as a dwarf mage.

Here is the list of people I've found thus far-be careful if you try to do the same as it can mess up plots and subplots if you add the wrong person to your party at the wrong time. If you can think of anyone to add to the list please feel free to.:

Good or Neutral Thieves:
    Coran-Elven Fighter/Thief, Chaotic Good in forest by elf city
    Safarna-Human Thief, Chaotic Neutral-in forest by elf city where she tries to betray you to wolfweres
    Mook-Good aligned female elven thief at the docks when Bodhi sends you to get a smuggled package (Aran sends you to the same person and place but it is harder to complete this subplot and add her to the party if you work for the Shadow Thieves).
    Viekang-Chaotic Neutral Thief who beams/teleports out of bar in Trademeet
    Kylie Jansen-Gnome Thief, Neutral Good and is by Jansen house in slums
    Embarl-Good thief Mae’Var sends you to kill and take dagger from.
    Many of the fixers in Bridge and/or Slums districts
    Storekeeper-True Neutral, Elven shopkeeper in Bridge District

Monks:
    Anishai-Human Monk, Chaotic Neutral she is in the 2nd floor of Mae’Var’s guild

Bards
    Salvanas-Elven Bard, Neutral in Copper Cornet close to Bar itself & Bartender
    Garren-Human Bard, Chaotic Neutral-is doing a poor job of wooing Paladin lady standing guard by door to Order of the Radiant Heart.
    Alenina-Neutral Evil Human Bard by piano in Trademeet bar

Paladins:
    1 in Graveyard close to Bodhi’s place by grave of adopted son, he is the one you can connect with an orphaned girl for a mini-subquest
    2 named knights guarding door to Radiant Heart Order in Temple District, one of them is the woman Garren fails to woo.
    5 right at beginning of Windspear Hills. They don’t look human but can use most of the normal equipment. The one with the illusion of a baby wyvern is the best able to keep up with the group.
    Sir Ryan Trawl-inside Radiant Heart’s building.
    Prelate Wessalen-in his office in the Radiant Heart’s building.
    Garren Windspear-is in the Windspear Hills and is the witness that smooths things over between you and the Order of the Radiant Heart after you and a group of their knights are tricked into fighting (is “Garren” with create creature).
    Also the 4 knights that help you fight Bodhi if you ask the Radiant Heart for aid are paladins, but all have bad stats (9s for everything) and Lawful Neutral alignments in spite of having the paladin class.

Good Mages:
    Vara Fentan-Chaotic Good Conjurer Hafling in Mazzy’s Home
    Kirinaldo-Neutral Good Dwarf Mage that is part of the group doing plays in the potential Bard Stronghold (Five Flagons basement)
    Tolgreais-In government building in Government district and on lower level of planar sphere. Is very high level
    2 Militia mages in Trademeet
    Terrece-Chaotic Good human conjurer currently working for Baron Ployer (in a Jaheira related subquest) that offers his services to you outside of the government building.
    Mrs. Cragmoon-Neutral Good Human Female Mage that sells potions in the Bridge district
    Elence Fielding-Neutral Good Elven Mage, is the only Good merchant in Umar Hills village.

Neutral Mages:
    Many in the game, 2 notable elven ones are the Escaped Clone in the dungeon you start in and another trying to run away from a pair of drow in the drow city.

Good Fighters
    Reynald de Chatillon-Chaotic Good Human Fighter that is the 2nd in command of the fallen paladins, he may choose not to fight against you when the other fallen paladins do based on your dialogue choices.
    Jerry Jamtoes-Chaotic Good Halfling fighter in the Five Flagoons Inn dining area
    Samuel Thunderburp-Neutral Good Halfling Fighter running Inn (Five Flagons) in Bridge district that can become the Bard stronghold.
    Pala Fentan-Lawful Good Hafling in Mazzy’s home
    Danno Fairfoot-Neutral Good Hafling fighter in Mazzy’s home/related to her subquest.
    Nelleck-Chaotic Good Human Umar Hills Village guard.
    Officer Dirth-Lawful Good Human, is corrupt soldier located in the Sea's Bounty that Roenall bribes in the subquest relating to freeing Nalia (is lvl 16, game goes to 19).... wrong alignment for his actions?
    3 Knights of Solamnia in the Planar Sphere-Lawful Good 12th Lvl fighters.
    H’rothgar Firehammer-Chaotic Good Dwarven fighter in the Five Flagoons Inn dining area
    Morning Knights(4)-Lawful Good human fighters inside and outside of the temple of Lathander
    Note-Garren Windspear’s son or daughter is a 2nd lvl neutral fighter, his cabin is in the Windspear Hills.

Good Clerics
    1 in the party that betrays and attacks you in red dragon lair (in Windspear Hills).
    Wallace-Neutral Good Gnome Cleric in Trademeet who sells potions and is part of Mazzy’s subquest.
    Dawnmaster Kreel-Lawful Good cleric found inside the temple to Lathander (Dawnbringer Alvanna outside is neutral).
    Usher-male usher is a low level neutral good cleric in the potential Bard Stronghold, the Five Flagons basement (the human female usher is a neutral fighter while the receptionist is a neutral elf mage).
    Priest of Ilmater (both)-Lawful Good human clerics inside temples to Ilmater (one is in Waukeen’s Promenade and the other the slums).

Rangers
    1 or more in the Umar Hills guarding Valygar’s cabin/2nd home/hideout.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

i thought monks could only be lawful

3. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    They can. Wikipedia on Monks:

4. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Note that the game can have NPC characters you aren't able to make when you generate your main character.

If you think of anyone you can add to the list please mention him/her.

Here are some I've recently added that I hadn't when I first made the list (they are mostly clerics or fighters):

H’rothgar Firehammer-Chaotic Good Dwarven fighter in the Five Flagoons Inn dining area
    Jerry Jamtoes-Chaotic Good Halfling fighter in the Five Flagoons Inn dining area
    Morning Knights(4)-Lawful Good human fighters inside and outside of the temple of Lathander
    Terrece-Chaotic Good human conjurer currently working for Baron Ployer (in a Jaheira related subquest) that offers his services to you outside of the government building.
    Dawnmaster Kreel-Lawful Good human cleric found inside the temple to Lathander (Dawnbringer Alvanna outside is neutral).
    Usher-male usher is a low level neutral good cleric in the potential Bard Stronghold, the Five Flagons basement (the human female usher is a neutral fighter while the receptionist is a neutral elf mage)
    Priest of Ilmater (both)-Lawful Good human clerics inside temples to Ilmater (one is in Waukeen’s Promenade and the other the slums).

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  5. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    One quick warning, don't try to level up a party member that has no class (such as if you had a nonfighter town guardsman, regular townsfolk, or monster join your party). If you try to level them up when the + symbol appears the game will likely crash.

Leveling up or dual-classing someone you add to your party works pretty much as normal provided the person already has a class.

Sometimes leveling is the way to activate the abilities they should already have (in case they don't appear, though they usually do), such as spellcasting.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  6. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Here is a newer one, members with no alignment....
    (not sure if this would cause a problem anywhere)

???? Fighters
    Biff the Understudy-1st lvl human fighter with no listed alignment in the Five Flagoons basement.

If you think it is useful I can mention new people I think of or come across in new messages. Otherwise I can just edit to add more to the already growing lists above.

7. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

Ooh I'm surprised Officer Dirth is good - given that he's involved in slave trading. Then again, there's quite a lot of characters in game that have wrong alignments.

8. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    I agree, here are some more. Though there is someone with the wrong alignment early in ToB I've stuck to the characters like that in SoA. I haven't added these to the lists above and probably won't in this thread unless someone wants me to make the first post into a singular master list. Also I haven't come across any NPC of the Barbarian class in SoA.

No Alignment (Biff isn't the only one):
    (These Hobgoblins are mainly in the sewers below the Copper Cornet, also be aware of the fact that Hobgoblins tend to move slowly-including if added to a party)

Hobgoblin Archers are rangers w no alignment

Hobgoblin Captain is a paladin w no alignment

Hobgoblin Warrior is a fighter w no alignment

Yarin, human thief with no alignment in the Copper Cornet’s backrooms

Wrong Alignments (not previously mentioned):

The Druids and Shadow Druids in the Druid Grove-they are all lawful evil rather than neutral except for a few of the named druid characters.

Slaver Guard(s) with bow(s) are level 5 neutral evil ranger(s)-found when you go through the sewer tunnel into the slaver boat base/house in the Slums District.

Metrich Footman and Metrich Yeoman are both human, fighters, and Lawful Good. They are located in the Inn in the Umar Hills during the 2nd paladin stronghold quest (they work for Baron Metrich, who is burning farmers' fields in order to force them off their lands so he can steal the land). There is a possible argument that their alignments aren't wrong because Metrich appears to have no problem ordering and manipulating lawful good individuals into doing his bidding (as he tries to do with you.... taking lessons from Firkragg?)

Kobold Shaman in the sewers below the Copper Cornet is a lawful evil paladin with 9 for each stat-perhaps the problem is the class is wrong rather than alignment in this case

There are still plenty of people/characters with alignments that are reasonable to expect:

Aulava & Tiiro-2 lawful neutral level 1 thieves (celebrities in upstairs of the inn by gate)

The Hobgoblin Shaman (in Sewers below the Copper Cornet) is actually quite accurate as a lawful evil cleric

Sir Alynar is a human paladin and Lawful Good, he meets you when you go to the Umar Hills for the 1st paladin stronghold quest there.

Knight of the Order (both of them) are Lawful Good paladins that you fight alongside during the 1st paladin stronghold quest in the Umar Hills (Squire Elotte, also fighting there, is a Lawful Neutral fighter.... not that different from Anomen when he started with the Radiant Heart?)

Crolus is a Lawful Good human paladin who meets you in the Umar Hills for the 2nd paladin stronghold quest there (involving Baron Metrich)

Baron Metrich is a Lawful Evil (not surprising) human fighter, and the farmers he is against are Lawful Neutral human fighters (of 1st to 8th level)

Lette is a Lawful Good fighter also in the Umar Hills village inn present for the 2nd paladin stronghold quest there, he may leave depending on what you say about Baron Metrich in your dialogue choices.

Dalok, Half Elf Druid, is the 1st neutral druid in the druid grove and he guards the door to grove itself against you (as he eagerly follows the shadow druids).

Faldorn, female human neutral druid (is the Shadow Druid leader in the Druid Grove.... she is possibly the easiest to argue should have a Lawful Evil alignment-though most druids technically shouldn't)

Master Verthan, Human neutral druid Cernd leaves in charge of the druid grove after you defeat Faldorn (you talk to him if your PC is a druid and you wish to arrange a combat for leadership of the grove-you don't fight him, he just organizes it.)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  9. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I always thought that Drizzt's group would be good to recruit...intereting anyhow.
    Also in the asylum when Jon makes a duplicate of you...that ould be a cool NPC.

I suppose most problems experienced with this sort of npc could always be solved via SK, such as no align, class, race etc.

10. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Interesting ideas that I hadn't tried before. I did and wasn't impressed with the results. I did come across something else interesting while I was in that part of the game. Thanks for the idea Chelsea and feel free to mention any other possibilities/ideas that you come up with.

The clones Irenicus makes of your party when you fight him in spellhold are all fighters (no kits), which explains why any copies of cleric or mage characters don't cast spells. One thing you may want to consider along the same line of thought is casting a Simulacrum spell and adding your temporary clone to the party.

Drizzt & friends are decent fighters but much of their strength comes from their equipment and Drizzt isn't even a ranger-the game has him as a level 16 fighter. Here is a quick discription of him and co:

Drizzt-Chaotic Good Elven Fighter, lvl 16

Regis-Neutral Hafling Thief, lvl 9

Bruenor-Neutral Good Dwarven Fighter, lvl 13

Catti Brie-Chaotic Good Human Fighter, lvl 16

Wulfgar-Chaotic Good Human Fighter, lvl 11

Complaining part aside here is something neat that I was able to pull off during the fight when Irenicus creates clones of your party.

Jon Irenicus, Chaotic Good Human mage-lvl 30 (recruit to party just after he is done making speach about letting you have your victory in Spellhold after you and the test subjects have beaten him), also his alignment is very very wrong. Don't try to dual class him, game crashes when I have. I have yet to see if having him in my party throughout the Underdark and afterwards causes problems when you confront him again in the tree (though you may think one of the elves you run into goes "Hey.... I think I remember that guy").

The inmates that you free inside Spellhold can be added to your party during the battle but will have to be raised afterwards (they automatically die). Here is a description of them.:

Aphril-Neutral Human Female Conjurer

Wanev-Neutral Human male Conjurer

Dradeel-Chaotic Neutral Human male Conjurer

Tiax Neutral (they changed him....) gnome Cleric/Thief

Naljier Skal, Neutral human Bard

Otherwise I found the party that the anti-magic baron sends against you (if you get the mage stronghold, which is where they attack you) had some interesting members (mostly the first two listed):

Jalin Tix-Lawful Neutral 16th lvl Wizard Slayer Hafling

Mahar-Lawful Neutral male human Monk, 12th level

Sorsha-Lawful Evil female human Druid (yet another one), 12 lvl

Sergeant Natula-Lawful Neutral male human fighter, 15th lvl

Vilhelm-Lawful Neutral male human fighter, 12th lvl

Alnarow-Neutral Evil male elven Bounty Hunter

Tyrian, Lawful Neutral male human fighter, 10th lvl

If you want a/another Half Orc in the party here are 2-both fighters though (haven't found a barbarian in the game yet).:

Fighter (I thought one of his party members called him a barbarian, but he isn't) with the last name Orcslicer in the 2nd floor of the 7 vales inn-a neutral member of a fairly evil party.

Fixer that sometimes appears by the Jansen home. She is a neutral fighter that sells stolen goods but doesn’t buy them.... error?

Any other comments, suggestions, and/or questions please whip them out. I may post again when I get to a point where I face Irenicus again with Irenicus in my party to say how it went (though if he keeps telling the rest of my party we are gnats I may use him as cannon fodder during the fight).

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  11. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Isn't there a mod that makes Tiax a legally joining NPC?

12. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    There probably is one, I recall hearing a little bit about it but never used it myself.

13. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

If you play the Longer Road mod for ToB (where you can add and try to redeem Irenicus) he's neutral evil. Chaotic good certainly seems wide of the mark.

14. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Kulyok did the Tiax mod, you can grab him in Spellhold. Find the mod at PPG

15. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

The reason Irenicus is CG alignment is that BGII's developers just copied Elminster's stats when creating him, and were too lazy/forgetful to change his alignment to something more appropriate, like CE or NE. I'm pretty sure PPG have a mod that sorts out the alignments in the game, or a link to one (I can't remember the name, though).

16. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Good point-though they remembered to make that lawful evil level 30 conjurer that comes with the last Cowled Wizards group (if you use magic in the city) a different alignment.... guess they just slipped up on this one.

Here is what I discovered when using Irenicus in the party.

It generally doesn't cause problems though at one point a helpful glitch occurred where he would move very quickly (much faster than a party member with boots of haste) to where I told him to go.

He is one of the unkillable plot characters in the game. Spells that kill in one hit don't seem to do much to him. Ditto with level drains. And he has 1 hit point left no matter how much damage he takes (thus I used him to shield other party members when fighting really powerful foes after I found this out). I imagine ability score drains would still kill him-thus mind flayers (and their intelligence drain) can kill him.

He (as with anyone else you add to the party that normally doesn't join) can be part of the party into ToB-unlike Yoshimo.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  17. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    I don't have cheats set up on my game with ToB-there is a problem with using at least some text programs to make the changes I would need to in order to cheat.... I use a Mac and if someone has appleworks, textedit, or MS Word some advice would be appreciated (though on the one hand this has helped me make sure all my ToB characters are legit).

Since this has been moved to ToB I can tell you the wizard defending Saradush (on its walls) was given the wrong alignment by the games makers. He has robes of a Good Archmage (implying he can and does wear them) and is busy trying to protect the town from an army that will try to kill everyone in it rather than just trying to save his own skin. Thus I think there is a strong argument he should have a good alignment (not just neutral and definately not evil). Thinking about it I wonder if they just used a modified version of either Edwin or the Cowled Wizards for him (one of which was evil and the other mostly were).

I'll likely be doing things other than playing the game for the next week or so but may check back again if anyone wants to make a suggestion or any additions. I may respond to them but likely won't get around to trying or tinkering around with stuff/add more party member possibilities until later. Have a good time until then.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  18. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Hello, I'm back to playing Baldur's Gate a little bit but I still don't have it set up to where I can use cheats with ToB, so I may just look over SoA to see if I missed anything (I'm sure I have somewhere). So this new post doesn't come with a few more descriptions of people who could be recruited but the next one likely will.

19. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Ahh, I remember when I played a game like this. Good times. :)

Hendak is not bad, but he only has one line.
    Lehtinan is similarly interesting to have.

Renal Bloodscalp and Mae'Var make decent characters; the latter is a thief-illusionist.

Have you tried Pai'Na?

There's various adventurer groups you can recruit (Mencar Pebblecrusher, the Sewer Gang, etc).

If you use ShadowKeeper you can change the classes of your party members so they can level up legitimately - I did this with a generic Pirate character.

Also, try to get them to join before they turn hostile, otherwise they seem to have the tendency to turn hostile every now and then, which can get quite bothersome.

And don't forget about your old buddy Xzar! :)

20. Lynx Lupo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Not a bad idea that simulacrum. Me, minime and microme! :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.