1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Assertion file failed in chitin.cpp at line #1636

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by lt_peanut_girl, Nov 18, 2006.

1. lt_peanut_girl Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

ANyone know what this error message means?

[ November 18, 2006, 15:14: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

When does it happen? More details please.

3. lt_peanut_girl Gems: 2/31

Of course...sorry,....it occurs when I try to play BG2. Right after installtion. LOL I have one error messsage after the other. People are going to start to hate me here after a while.

4. Ironhawk Skylord

Ok. A couple of questions then:

Do you have the latest patch on?

Do you have any mods on?

Have you used Shadowkeeper to edit anything?

5. lt_peanut_girl Gems: 2/31

Yes to the patch ...not yet to the mods and no to the SK

6. Ironhawk Skylord

Well on Biowares site, if there is assertion errors with the chitin.cpp file, they recommend reinstalling the patch and if that doesn't work, reinstalling the game.

But you probably already tried that?

What kind of OS do you have?

And is ToB installed?

Is 3D Acceleration enabled in BGConfig?

[ November 18, 2006, 02:19: Message edited by: Ironhawk Skylord ]

7. lt_peanut_girl Gems: 2/31

I just tried it and it worked. I found that while we were talking on accident actully....funny enough. Thank you for the help. I always appreciate it.

8. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Remember, Peanut girl : the cure I recommanded you for BG1 is also good for BG2 :

— Empty temporary folders ;

— Load an old save or the last autosave ;

— Change slightly of path ...

— ... to finally return to your purpose !

;)

@ Ironhawk Skylord :

:wave: Hello, friend ... I shall reply to your last PM, but later :)

9. Ironhawk Skylord

Anytime lt_peanut_girl. :) Glad to be of some help.

On Biowares site there is a list of assertion errors and the countermeasures for the games.

Also it is worth to look in the FAQ for the game or the technical support forum where there is a list of random crash solutions.

And while there is a lot of problems which can be solved by clearing the cache and tempsave folders and reload, it wouldn't had worked in your situation.

@Cal Yhringlor: No prob friend :)

[ November 19, 2006, 13:30: Message edited by: Ironhawk Skylord ]

10. Deus Ex Biotica Gems: 2/31

I have a similar problem: When I tried to load saved games, I got an unintelligible error message. I loaded the latest patch, but it didn't help. When I tried to uninstal, I found that my game refused to show me any uninstal feature. Growing desperate, I deleted everything except my saved game files, and tried to instal the game again. It did not, however, seem to think it needed to be installed, and when I tried to play it (after I selected difficulty settings) it crashed inexplicably. It has done this repeatedly.

Does anyone know how I might retrieve my game?

Worriedly,
    Deus Ex Biotica

11. Ironhawk Skylord

Well you could try the procedure Bioware described for manual uninstall. Here goes:

BGII/ToB - How to manually uninstall BGII:Throne of Bhaal.

Here is the procedure to manually uninstall BG2: Throne of Bhaal. This will also uninstall BG2: Shadows of Amn.

Edit the system registry using the regedit utility. Remove the following keys under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\"

BG2Main.exe
    bg2ep202.exe

Remove the following keys under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\"

English: {B8C3B479-1716-11D5-968A-0050BA84F5F7}
    French: {43D4C77E-4339-11D5-96E7-0050BA84F5F7}
    German: {5B09F344-4406-11D5-96E8-0050BA84F5F7}
    Italian: {C3817924-440B-11D5-96E8-0050BA84F5F7}
    Spanish: {68F40945-449D-11D5-96E9-0050BA84F5F7}

Go to your Program Files directory and find the hidden directory "InstallShield Installation Information" and delete the directories labeled:

English: {8DAE4336-2B71-11D4-9A6C-006067325E47} and {B8C3B479-1716-11D5-968A-0050BA84F5F7}
    French: {43D4C77E-4339-11D5-96E7-0050BA84F5F7} and {5E30BDEB-9307-11D4-9AE0-006067325E47}
    German: {5B09F344-4406-11D5-96E8-0050BA84F5F7} and {5E30BDEB-9307-11D4-9AE0-006067325E47}
    Italian: {C3817924-440B-11D5-96E8-0050BA84F5F7} and {5E30BDEB-9307-11D4-9AE0-006067325E47}
    Spanish: {68F40945-449D-11D5-96E9-0050BA84F5F7} and {5E30BDEB-9307-11D4-9AE0-006067325E47}

Manually delete all the files and directories created by the previous installation attempts (this should return the system to its state before the original installation attempt) and try again to install from the CD.

Hope this helps.

12. Deus Ex Biotica Gems: 2/31

Wow... I can't believe I missed that in the ToB manual. Thanks a lot for pointing it out! I followed the instructions, and now the game is letting me re-instal. Here's hoping I can access my saves again afterwards...

I can! Admittedly, my Quick and Auto saves got wiped out (setting me back by days... I've gotten careless), but my character remains and I can play again. Thanks a million!

Sincerely,
    Deus Ex Biotica

[ November 21, 2006, 06:42: Message edited by: DeusExBiotica ]

13. Ironhawk Skylord

Anytime. Glad it worked. :)

14. Mithlin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Geetings!

I would like to return to the chitin.cpp problem.

My problem: "An assertion failed in chitin.cpp at line 1685 (1700 if patch installed)"

System: PII Celeron 366MHz/96RAM/6GB, Intel 820 family chipset, integrated graphical & sound card, OS WinXP pro, drivers up to date.

Conditions when starting BG2: lowest configurations of gameplay and graphic, no 3D acceleration.

I've tried: reinstaling game and patch, updating windows installer (3.1), starting game in "compability with win98/Me" mode, setting instalation of BG2 under this mode (couldn't even start instalation - "unknown error"). Nothing helped. Same error appeard.

Furthermore, I've installed BG2 on my brother's computer (Duron 750/256/20 SiS motherbord, int. sound & graphic, same OS) and it worked perfectly. So, damaged CDs are out of question. Then I've transfered his chitin.key file into my BG2 main folder, but still didn't worked. Same chitin error tormented me.

So I've run out of ideas. What else could I try?

Did I mention, that BG2 worked very well on my computer, when OS 98SE was installed? I have formated my drives one week ago and decidet to install a "better" OS.

The only diference between my and my brother's BG2 folder was the apearence of chitin.key file. On my brother's computer it is displayed as an Registry Editor file, but on my computer it is an unknown (open with...) file. However Regedit runs OK on my computer. Could this circumstance have something to do with my troubles? I didn't dare to play with regedit or registry in any form, because I have no experience in this things, and maight cause even more problems. All I did with the registry was runing the Advanced Windows Care program.

So, the only reason for my problem, I can think of, is a damaged CD-rom drive. What do You say?

At the end, I apologize for a little bit too large MESSage and my broken english. I'll be very grateful for any response.

Oh! And compliments to creators of SP site!

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You're barely above the minimum requirements to run Windows XP on your computer, so that might be a contributing factor as far as this issue is concerned (though not very likely)... But generally, with this kind of error, reinstalling the patch or the game is the only suggested solution, and you've tried both.

However, it's possible that any corrupt files in the cache, temp and tempsave directories in the game's install directory weren't removed during the uninstall, so you should delete everything in these directories and try running the game again, or reinstalling.

If you haven't yet, you could also try defragmenting your hard drive.

16. Mithlin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thank you very much for your quick reply!

I'll let you know about the end of this farce.

Good day!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.