1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Playing ToEE

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by MagicPot, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I have never been this entertained in these boards... :lol:

Yeah keep it coming!

Olimikrig is right about the max DEX modifier, my, you really don't know the rules of the dreaded 3e. (consider yourself lucky!)

2. MagicPot Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I am glad the pseudo walkthrough is enjoyable. It's a whole lot more fun playing the game since the things I do not like I enjoy writing about.

Thanks for the heads up, but I didn't think Baldur's story was too great either, well, what I played of it that is! I hardly gave it any time so I guess I don't get an opinion in that area. I'll still give Co8 a run just because player made patches are, in my opinion, the greatest thing to hit gaming since the widespread use of the Internet, which paved the way for player made patches. The 'net may have destroyed the very soul of gaming, but c'est la vie.

I am still kind of confused about AC. Higher is better now, right? Illogical, but I can live with it. Aside from that, I don't quite understand what you're getting at here, since it already gives me an AC bonus of 3. Is the max DEX bonus just superfluous information?
    I have wondered once or twice about why some people vehemently dislike 3e, and now I know!

The previous posting was my last update until January. Time to spend the holidays with family and Far Cry. Not at the same time, obviously, as that would be very rude.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  3. erkper2 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

In 3rd Ed D&D your AC is boosted by many factors. The armor you wear gives you a boost basically depending on how tough it is, but harder, more rigid armor also reduces the amount your AC can be boosted by your Dex. Scale mail for example gives you a +4 AC with a +3 max Dex bonus. If your character has a Dex of 18 and no shield or other AC modifier, he gets a +4 AC boost due to Dex - his agility makes it harder for the orc to slice him up. Wearing the Scale mail, he would get a +4 AC boost due to the mail, but his Dex bonus would be limited to only +3, as the scale slows him down so he can't dodge as effectively. A character with a Dex of 14 only gets a Dex bonus of +2 to his AC, and with the mail equipped he gets +4 due to the armor, and his +2 due to dex. He isn't limber enough to actually be limited by the scale mail.

Basically, you don't want an armor that has a max Dex bonus lower than your character's Dex bonus unless the armor bonus more than makes up the difference. A character with an 18 Dex would not want to use Splint mail (+6 AC, +1 max Dex) for example if a chain shirt (+4 AC, +4 max Dex) was available - his AC would be 17 with the Splint and 18 with the chain shirt. To me this system makes more sense than the old rules where you get a high bonus to your AC for high Dex even if you are decked out in an 80+ lb suit of full plate that is so heavy and rigid it would be almost impossible to actually dodge a blow.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^Exactly. So heaviest armors are generally good for low DEX characters, they do not have much DEX bonus to enjoy anyway, and the big AC boost from heavy metal plates covering you is important. Agile and flexible characters always should look for the best AC armors which also enable them to make the best use of their quick reflexes and agility, otherwise it would be a waste of so many paractises, right? :p

You will not be able to update for a time, MagicPot? Aww we will miss you!

5. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'm sorry magicpot but apparently you had really, really dumb spellcasters. Every 1st lvl wizard or sorcerer can kill trolls in icewind dale, little spell called burning hands (you know a 1st lvl spell?).

I don't know why you are torturing yourself as you have stated that your preferred style of games are most definitely not rule-heavy RPG's. You seem to like rpg's like zelda(i'm not sure if i should even call it an rpg but to each their own)

6. MagicPot Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG]
    Actually, that does make a hell of a lot of sense. I guess barbarian armor really is well suited for barbarians!

I'll update first week in January and finally arrive at the Moathouse, but first visit some of those "dialog" areas with El Guapo and see what fun stirs up.

My preferred team was two fighters (one usually a paladin) and a thief or fighter/thief. This small melee team provided great advantages, but came with some drawbacks in true RPG fashion, like a difficulty with killing Trolls because no one could cast spells.

7. Stuntman Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Sounds like the OP is just not that familiar with the 3.5 Edition rules. If you know what you are doing, you can create a really powerful party using only standard point buy. If you don't know what you are doing a party who has 18's in all stats may not be that successful. I have been able to build a party using only the standard point buy and was able to complete the game fairly easily and even defeat the Balor (with some difficulty and a few casualties).

Personally, I like the hack and slash aspect of ToEE. I did some of the other quests, but it didn't interest me that much. The first time I went through, I did as many as I could. After the first time, I just hacked my way through it with different parties.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.