1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WTF? seriously, WTF? (Final Fight)

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by schwartr, Dec 5, 2008.

1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] There's a difference between cheap and cheat :p

Some people think it's cheap if it isn't actually a party member killing or weakening the opponent. How chivalrous of them :D

2. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Saverok is fun the first time around huh? :toofar:

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Congrats on winning schwartr.

I love the smell of fireballs in the morning. It smells like... victory. :D

4. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

I have yet to defeat Sarevok. :(

5. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

First time years ago I lured one out at a time, that made it easy enough. That stopped ofcourse with the arrival of SCS :p

6. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Monster summoning, then archery. Use all your accumilated items, I recall them being very useful, incl a wand of frost or somesuch.

Then keep a thief free for backstab detail, have Sarevok come at you through hails of arrows, then get backstabbed as he closes for melee.

7. Kirethorn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

This thread is really eye opening for me. I killed him in a few minutes and was really dissapointed. Granted I used careful planning and strategy:
    NOTE: This is a little cheap. But works.
    1. Sneak a thief around to see where everyone is.
    2. Fireball everyone from beyond their sight, one by one.
    3. Get your mage finding where all the invisible people are, or just fireball everywhere until you hit someone.
    4. After you have killed everyone, give everyone fireball potions and hammer him.
    5. If that dosn't work, just mob him. He goes down like a wimp.

Granted my party had cleared the entire world map, killed every other enemy, completed every quest, and collected every item. We were kind of good.

P.S I was really angry that you couldn't loot his corpse.

8. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Why would you want to loot his corpse? The game is through after defeating him, what purpose would looting his corpse serve? :p

9. Aces Gems: 19/31

I'd like to check out his equipment. :D

10. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Yeah, I reckon his armour would be pretty sweet and I would love to see the Sword of Chaos before its power got drained :p

11. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Technically, wouldn't the Sword of Chaos be drained of its power upon Sarevoks death, seeing as it is bound to his life force (IIRC).

12. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Hmm, I guess so. But personally, I would think that it would be a little stronger than the BG2 version as he would have died literally seconds before you pick it up. Gradual fade of powers and all that.

Edit: If only you could beat him down without a weapon and steal his stuff to have a quick gander and use it to finish him :p

13. olimikrig

Media:
    I seem to recall that Sarevok mentions something along the lines of him channeling his Bhaal essence through his armor and sword, giving it its power. So in effect it won't really matter whether you pick the sword fresh from his corpse or get it years later seeing as his essence has returned to Bhaal or wherever pretty much the instant he dies.

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] That, and he *personally* channeled that power, something you do not discover yourself as a child of Bhaal and something he doesn't invest in again anywhere else.

15. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Thanks for crushing my hopes and dreams :p
    I really wish the PC could do something like that and channel the essence of Bhaal into weapons and armour. Sucks that evil got the short end of the stick in these games...

16. Gavial Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I remember that the first time against Sarevok in BG1 I tried about 5 times, did not succeed and gave up.

Then about a year later, I started the game again, loaded and beat him on the first or second try.

17. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

He was easy my first time through and every time after. The first time I played I was very familiar with D&D so I used every character special ability.

1) Imoen had potions of invisibility and was the sneaky thief with the sword short of backstabbing.
    2) Dyniar was hurling fireballs from the back.
    3) Minsc was up front and tanking with a bunch of potions.
    4) Jaheria was also tanking up front with healing potions
    5) Kahlid was also tanking up front with healing potions
    6) My PC was in the back with Dynair hurling fireballs and attacked the same way as Imoen

The first time I fought him Imoen had a critial hit from a backstab and a few seconds later Minsc also scored a critial hit and down Saverok went.

I never even got to finish off his mages because Saverok was the first one down. I did loose Kahlid in the fight to Saverok attacks as he was my character's meat shield.

All the other times I use various tatics to take him down and I usually end up with minimal casualities.

18. Aces Gems: 19/31

"1) Imoen had potions of invisibility and was the sneaky thief with the sword short of backstabbing."

Don't forget to take a potion of "X" Giant Strength.
    I think Fire Giant is the best... :confused:

It's really fun for the PC to backstab if they can. :D

19. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Even tho it's not quite the final fight, I too had a Sarevok WTF(!) moment. It was the fight in the Palace, and I couldn't figure out why some Wininski Petrolate (sp?) kept auto-killing me with a flame strike, EVEN when I had 100%+ magic resistance. Once I got older and wiser I learned that I had to keep the dukes alive.

Then I got the chance to experience the joys of the final fight... goody :rolleyes:

20. Berksmasher Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yeah, the first time I fought Sarevok I thought that fight was impossible too and resorted to the fireball the corner of the altar trick.

Having a way to dispel his haste is extremely helpful.

If you can do that, it opens up a lot of different options. Your summons will hold them up that much longer while you kill his partners or pepper him with missiles. If the room is clear, a hasted character of your own can kite him around the room to a degree (be careful of traps) while the other party members hit him at range. And a very well-buffed character may be able to "tank" an unhasted Sarevok long enough for your party to down him.

Giving all of you invisibility pots to one character might also be a good idea--either a thief to backstab or a massively-buffed melee character to, in effect, solo him, popping invisibility pots to get away and heal when he gets hit (the two special carnival potions are useable by any class I believe, so even mages can gain a respectable thac0 if they down the STR one).

Anyway, there's no reason to pull any punches. It's pretty much the hardest fight in the game so you might as well down all those buffing potions and use your scrolls and wands.

You can also load up on Skull Trap, including all the scrolls you can find, and lay them out before you uncover the fog of war. I recommend on the right side of the room, and then very carefully uncover the fog on that side so that Tazok and/or Sarevok run through them.

Another thing to try is to tuck your party in the lower left corner of the room, then slowly approach the alter from the left side. Once Sarevok starts his rant, run back down to your party. You may be able to pull Semaj down to the corner by himself. Eventually Angelo will probably follow, but being able to defeat them one at a time makes the fight as a whole much easier.

The fight is really one of the few tactical fights in BG1, and in that sense it is actually kind of hard to approach it from a true role-playing perspective. A degree of metagaming is required, even if just in terms of making sure you have a good selection of buff potions/scrolls, ammo, and useable items on you. Your characters are not powerful enough to take Sarevok and his party by just walking up to him and yelling "You're going down!!!"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.