1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Trouble with Illithids

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Demonater351, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Vimes Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Try the level 4 cleric spell Death Ward, it seems to stop brain drains, that or I'm just a real lucky SOB. Cast that and Chaotic Commands plus improved haste on ya toughest fighter and send him off on his lonesome to slaughter them all.

2. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

At a glance I didn't see anyone mention this way, which worked for me.

Chaotic commands (but you knew I was going to say that), followed by two (or more if you have them) defensive harmony spells (knocks down the AC of all your party members by 2 for each spell cast), then basically turn the encounter into a brawl.

I've found summoning monsters to be pretty ineffective, although Mordenkainen's Sword does kill them nicely, as well as the 'Ras' sword that attacks on its own.

Also, dominating any umber hulks that are with the mind flayers is a nice way to kill two very ugly birds with one stone.

3. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi,

Nice tip about death ward Vimes, I didn't know that, I will try it out, thanks.

I have never been able to get Def marmony to stack like that, however, I have baldurdash fixes installed and I know one of them fixed a pile of spell stacking bugs ;)

If you are going to use blade barrier, throw in a greater malison to ensure the Illithid fail their saving throw (maximise the chance anyway) otherwise they will walk straight through and suck your drains out :D.

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

4. Demonater351 Guest

Death Ward will not, repeat, WILL NOT work. It's has nothing to do with save vs. death, so Death Ward will not help. I've already tried it :aww:

5. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Blade barrier will not stop an enemy reaching you. It puts up a spinning circle of blades, which will do serious amounts of damage to an enemy once per round if they fail their save - but it doesn't stop them going hand-to-hand with you. It will kill the illithids more quickly, but will not stop them killing you.

6. Demonater351 Guest

DAMNATION! Back to the drawing board, neh? :aww:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.