1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Korgan and how to throw off the wife

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Vortigern, Mar 27, 2001.

1. Vortigern Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] My wife got her feelings hurt the other night. She says I play Baldur's Gate II too much. This is my second time through. Is there any cure for this unholy addiction, or at least a way to hide how much I play it?

Also, I want to be an evil party. I have
    Myself (Jester, True Neutral), Jaheira, Minsc, Korgan, Viconia, and Jan Jansen. However, I just don't have the heart to piss off the ladies with Korgan anymore, and his desires seem to keep me from progressing with quests. Anyone else find this to be the case?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Vortigern, pretend to go to sleep at night, but wait till your wife falls asleep and crawl back to the computer, stick earphones on your head and play till morning. It worked for me in a smiliar situation. :D
    Of course, you'll need a lot of coffee if you intend to do this on a regular basis. Hehe.

As for Korgan... What he wants only matters in a few quests that are specifically made for him. Otherwise you're the boss, not some dwarf with a big axe and even bigger ego.

P.S.
    That party of yours is only 1/3 evil. I'd send Jaheira away if you're not romancing her and recruit Edwin.

3. Manfred Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Always be sure to give your wife lots of time and love! I do, but I still get in 2-3 nights a week on BGII. Another thing; I purposefully didn't start playing on BGII until a lot of the bug fixes/patches were available. That way my precious playing time didn't end up as "debugging time." I'm going to do the same with the expansion. If they don't end up patching it, I'm not buying it. It seems like they can never resist releasing a game even though its still loaded with bugs.

4. Vortigern Gems: 1/31

Well, I know it seems kinda ridiculous, but the first time I finished without finishing the Jaheira romance. I wanted to try Viconia- but damn she 's hard to predict! Kind of got caught up in the Jaheira romance again. Is it possible to do both? Maybe Korgan's just not for me. I want to keep Viconia but Korgan may have to take a hike. I just can't seem to be evil- guess I'm too good natured or something. I'm afraid I'm going to screw up something and have to start over because I'm not satisfied with how things went. Anyway, this game is too addictive- I should stop playing altogether I guess. Its bad for my libido.

Vortigern

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  6. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Vortigern,

Or you can do like I did and set up two pc's side by side, get her a copy of IWD, and let her take some frustrations out there! That's how I got through my second and third runs through BG/TotSC, heh. Of course you have to stress how "Quality" the time is that you're spending together! After all, at least you're in the same room... :D

7. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] nope the getting up when there asleep andusing headphones is the way to go..

Well at least if you don't have to work in the am...lol

8. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Quit your job. Go play all day.

9. Vortigern Gems: 1/31

That's interesting (the romance patch). When you say continue all three romances at once, do you mean that no matter what I say they will keep talking to me, or will they repeat over and over until I say the right thing, or do you mean that I don't have to pick between either Jaheira or Viconia? Fighting monsters is all good and all, but let's not forget that wooing women (even computer generated ones) is an admirable pursuit.

10. You have to explain the situation to your wife in terms of relationships and storyline. That's how I got her hooked on STTNG and DS9.

You talk about the great story, telling it as you discover it. Make this hack n' slash sound like the last great Russian novel!

That works for me. But I played through once and I'm resting now.

As far as the libido thing, just because they call it a *laptop* doesn't mean it's safe to actually us it in your lap. Weren't you warned by your high school coach about the dangers of hot tubs? Same thing.

bgp

[This message has been edited by biggreenpriest (edited March 28, 2001).]

11. Slappy Gems: 19/31

I think there's a read-me file with the patch that explains how it works. From memory, I think all it does is allow the romances to continue even after you are forced to make a choice between the women (i.e. they ignore the fact that you have chosen one over the other). I think you still have to encourage the romances though (by saying that right type of thing). You might also want to have a look at:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001746.html

PS has anyone made a patch like this for real life?

12. Vivien Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] This is funny!
    As woman I can give you two bits of advice.

A) Do not ignore her while she stares at you bitterly. Just because she's being quiet does *not* mean everything's okay.
    B) If she crawls into your lap and begins kissing you, do not act annoyed because you 'just have to kill this guy..' and she's making it hard.

The boyfriend who tried that one on me, found himself having all the time in the world to play.

But , otherwise, I agree with the above, 'get her interested' or 'give her something to do'. Then it's not you ignoring, it's you both playing happily side by side. Bliss :)

13. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Alternatively, just point out the amount of hours she spends sat in front of the TV watching complete and utter crap (or soap operas as they are also known). Actually, it works better if you are a bit more subtle about it and try to make 'crap on TV' and 'gaming bliss on the computer' coincide.

The get them interested in the game idea is also quite effective but be warned, if they get really interested and you only have one PC.......

I've tried sitting back and playing the game together on one PC and it just proves the problems of backseat driving.

Anyway, best solution, get rid of partners (male or female) stick with games. They're far more reliable in the long run because:

1. Games never have a headache
    2. If you haven't played with it for a while an old game will not be convinced
    you've found another one, kick you out and then sue the arse off you.
    3. When the game's box gets old and tatty it doesn't expect you to spend a
    fortune on it to make it feel better.
    4. When you're sick of a game you can file it away and never have to worry about
    it nagging you to do any DIY.
    5. Games don't cry if you forget the anniversary date of when you bought them.
    6. Card retailers and florists can't rip you off every 14th February with Games Day
    7. Games don't get jealous when you get bored of playing the same old thing every night and decide to try a new one.
    8. If you like a game but have finished with it, the chances are that a new 'version 2' will be available shortly and this will improve on the original and sort out any problems.
    9. If a game proves to be too demanding but is still good to have around, it is usually quite simple to upgrade your hardware to satisfy its requirements.
    10. Games don't have babies.
    11. Games don't stop you from playing with them at certain times of the month.
    12. Most games can be returned or exchanged if you are not entirely happy with them.
    13. Nobody shuns you if you decide to kick a game out for no real reason.
    14. If a game has been played with before they don't tell you how good the previous person was.
    15. Most games come with a clear and informative instruction manual. Some even provide a tutorial.
    16. You can have the same game as your mates and no one gets jealous.
    17. You can adjust the difficulty level of a game and buy a hint book.
    etc etc

14. Seric Exz Guest

[​IMG] LOL!

I wonder what would happen if I showed up at the doorstep of my girlfriend's mother, demanding a bugfix for whatever the hell was wrong with that cursed FraĆ¼lein...

15. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Slappy, LMAO!! I especially like nos. 7, 13, and 14... :D

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited March 29, 2001).]

16. Duskai Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] :) Just to add to the main question: minsc isn't evil either, so he'll not put up with any naughty shenanigans for long.
    As for games and ladies, it's usually me that can't be dragged away from the computer, but when I do I make up for it so well that he probably would like me to ignore him a little just for the 'making up' part ;)
    why not be inventive and combine love with game playing, ask her to sit on your lap and offer her a go of your joystick...then you can both enjoy the excitement of slaying a dragon, she'll be bouncing with 'happiness' in no time. Play with each other, or take it in turns.

*if any of the above is shocking and/or offensive to you then you should go take a cold shower you filthy person, I obviously didn't mean what you are thinking...honest!*

17. Seric Exz Guest

(*throws a certain gaming device out the window, and goes for a swim*)

[This message has been edited by Seric Exz (edited March 29, 2001).]

18. cathon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Soon I will be in gaming bliss. My Girlfriend and I are getting a place together, and one room will be for our computers, so we can play games at the same time, and even network them together. She can play Civ while I do BG2, and we can share games. Life will be good.

19. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] hmm me thinks Slappy reaaalllly needs a date...LOL

And i just have to add... Um not all women like soap opera's ya know.. YUK :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.