1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Materialism taken to the extreme

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by countduckula, Nov 29, 2008.

1. countduckula Banned

Media:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...worker_dies_at_long_island_walmart_after.html

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Do they need riot cops is they plan to have a good sale? That would increase cost, and thus the prices would have to rise, thus defeating the purpose of the sale in the first place. Maybe the rising insurance costs will be reflected in their new sale prices...

3. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I still remember (although vaguely since I was very young) the Soviet Union, I thought that this was about that, since that was materialism taken to the extreme.

This is just group behaviour. Shocking, but group behaviour still.

4. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's scary that people who are just your average Joe can behave like that just to get a few bargains. There's no way I'm going sale shopping now!

5. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

This happens at least every year with several people injured or killed across the nation.
    Like silvery said it is scary(& amazing) the lengths some people will go to to get a good deal.
    That was all my aunts & neices could talk about thanksgiving, having to be in line at the mall like 6hrs before the opened!!

6. nunsbane

nunsbane

As martaug points out, this happens every year. Someone will inevitably be damaged by a crowd stampeding toward some cheaply priced item or another. It has become so common and is so gross that I generally don't allow myself to even consider the incident(s). I will advise people I care about to not put themselves in such situations, after that I ignore this horrible new holiday tradition.

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Well, I tried to find another instance of someone getting killed and could not find one. I did find some past instances of violence and injuries, but not anything quite like this. If anyone has a link or a specific story of someone getting killed by shoppers, I would like to read it. It's not that I doubt anyone, but I could use the info.

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I seem to remember some over the Tickle-Me-Elmos, but I'm not sure.

9. Gnarfflinger

I remember violence with the release of the Cabbage Patch Kids, X-box 360, PS3 and Wii...

10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Even I was young then - That was like 20 years ago. I remember some minor violence over that too, but nothing where anyone was killed or trampled by a stampede of shoppers, and left to die while people continued shopping. What I'm looking for is something very much like this incident if anyone really knows of one.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  11. Gnarfflinger

True enough. It just seems like these events get worse and worse as people care less and less for one another and more and more about what they want...

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I remember that too! That happened in my home town in PA!

13. khazadman Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Most of you might be too young to remember this, but eleven people were killed in a rush at a Who concert in Ohio about thirty years ago.

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    If I remember correctly it was the fault of WKRP in Cincinatti :D

Only kidding, but that was a great episode of the show.

15. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I am disgusted with this... who in their right mind would not help someone who you are crushing with your feet because the goddamn toys might be gone by the time you get there?

Order online. Save lives.

16. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

This is what happens when the whole idea of "rights" is completely unbalanced or unopposed by the idea of "responsibilities." I see this happening all over the Western world -- we are an increasingly selfish, self centred bunch. I would bet many shoppers never even realized that the worker was hurt -- they were too fixated on getting the item. The idea of having responsibilities to your fellow man and to society (the responsibility to wait patiently in line until the door is all the way open, the common courtesy extended to fellow shoppers by not pushing and shoving, etc, etc.)

17. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    On a similar note, nine people were trampled to death at the Roskilde Festival in 2000.

This part particularly irks me (not Oasis and the Pet Shop Boys, but the organizers:mad:):

EDIT:

@LKD: People tend to remember their own rights (real or perceived) and "forget" that everybody else must logically have the same rights as themselves, including the right to not be trampled to death. :grr:

18. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

This disgusts me.

I work at Best Buy and we've had to change our tactics somewhat to avoid this sort of thing - at 3 am associates go outside to the people to talk to them and hand out limited tickets to the people in the front of the line for items that we have very little of. At opening, only 50 people are allowed in at a time every few minutes to help prevent trampling and chaos. After 6 am or so, everyone is mostly inside and we can fully open the doors.

19. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

In the UK people are generally a bit more genteel about it and camp in queues outside of stores like Harrords over the Christmas holidays to be the first into the store.

That said, there was a bit of a riot when a new Ikea opened in North London a few years ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4252421.stm

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Can't add anything new. It's disgusting. It's also criminal for the people immediately involved and I'm not joking here.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.