1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

For those unfortunate enough to own ORIGINAL SAGA edition...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by COFFINWORM, Dec 4, 2008.

1. COFFINWORM Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

First of all, if this post is out of line, please don't ban me or delete the post, just give me a reasonable explanation and lock the thread :)

Anyways, I have the seemingly crappy ORIGINAL SAGA edition and it seems many like me have the same problem. Unable to do a full install on XP and/or Vista.

Is there a way we can download a version of BALDUR'S GATE that would run on these OSs? I want so badly to convert my copy into Tutu but I just can't do it with this version. I think for a game so old and for those of us who already own the game, it should be okay to download a playable version.

If this is cool, could someone please post or PM a link?

Thanks!

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Is the original saga the one that comes on three CDs including Tales of the Sword Coast? Because if that's the one I'm pretty sure you can do a full install.

I had the original 4 CDs game and Totsc and I bought the 3 CDs version later and I never had any problems with both versions. I'll check when I'll get home if this one is labelled Original Saga or not.

Could you explain what prevents you from doing a full install? Or what is missing from yours?

A full install should have 865 files and 45 folders for a little more than 2.5 Go.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Just to be clear, please do not discuss any illegal downloading or other methods of obtaining this game. While you obviously bought it, we still do not condone anything illegal.

Thanks.

4. Boy at a busstop Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

You mentioned your installation gets stuck at 78% in another thread. I think the problem lies with you dvd and/or computer. I am fortunate enough to have the original version of the game, but I've never heard anyone have any problems installing the full game.

Personally I am of mind that you should be allowed to aquire the game in less-than-legal ways, but don't ask about it on this forum. You might even be able to find another copy of BG in a bargain bin somewhere, I saw one recently for like 10 euros.

5. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well I too own the Saga Pack!
    Since my original CD Broke when I accidentally stepped on it!
    (Yup, those things really happen)
    And used it on multiple machines and systems and it always works!

Have you tried coping all CD's on the HD and running the installation from it!?

If the CD is bad, it will be apparent when you try to copy it on the HD.

6. COFFINWORM Gems: 2/31

Just to clarify, yes, this is the Original Saga version w/ 3 CDs. I was unable to do a full installation on my old computer w/ XP and about a month ago I got a new computer w/ Vista, tried installing it last night and experienced the same exact problem.

I did a search for this problem awhile back and I know for a fact I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. Most just do a minimum install and have to deal with constantly swapping discs and the inability to use Tutu. I shouldn't have to buy this game again just to do a full install.

I'm not going to try copying the discs to my harddrive and trying it that way because I'm sure I'll encounter the same issue. I have to go into a program called "REGEDIT" just to remove it from my comp according to the Black Isle forum and they only have instructions for XP, no Vista so I'm pretty much up the creek.

Thanks for the help guys.

---------- Added 0 hours, 0 minutes and 53 seconds later... ----------

is that how you got it to work with a full install? copying the CDs to the harddrive first? or did you experience no problems whatsoever? I keep getting a runtime error near the end of the installation.

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Then there is a problem with a scratch on the discs or a problem with reading in the data. Slating a rerelease of a game because of one instance seems a little extreme ;)

Just try copying the data from the CD to the HDD then running from the HDD. Have to do that for some EA games as well due to their copyright protections :shake:

8. Boy at a busstop Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

You could also try burning an image from the cd using Nero or (maybe) Alcohol, but I've never used the latter so I don't know if that works.

An image is a virtual representation of the disc, meaning you'd (hopefully) circumvent any problems you had previously (unless the problem is burned into the image as well...)

Good luck.

9. COFFINWORM Gems: 2/31

there's not a single blemish on any of the discs and I'm able to do a minimum install and play through the entire game without a hitch.

---------- Added 0 hours, 6 minutes and 6 seconds later... ----------

I figured out the roundabout way of uninstalling it finally, I'm going to attempt to copy the discs to the harddrive and try it that way. So... here goes...

---------- Added 0 hours, 47 minutes and 59 seconds later... ----------

Okay, I think I've pinpointed the problem. There are two apparently corrupted files on CD3. Could anyone here be kind enough to simply upload these two files for me? I would be extremely grateful, hopefully this will allow me to do a full install!

The file I need and it's location is as follows:

CD3 > CD6 > data > area2000.cbf (this file's 17.1 MB)

Thanks again guys if someone could upload these for me! I hardly think this qualifies as piracy. Remember, these files are from the BALDUR'S GATE: THE ORIGINAL SAGA edition that includes Tales of the Sword Coast.

Thanks in advance!

HAHA! I just realized that I had an old copy of the original game laying around with the original uncorrupted discs, but I'm missing CD1 and CD6. I copied one of the files successfully, now I just need:

CD3 > CD6 > data > area2000.cbf (this file's 17.1 MB)

It's only 17 MB, maybe someone can help me out here by uploading it? Thanks!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.