1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wii Games

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    My wife bugged and bugged me, so we got a Wii. The sports game you get with it are a ton of fun (my wife is a tennis addict - not in real life, just Wii tennis).

Any recommendation about other games out there - which ones are worth getting and which ones are not?

One other question: I picked up a second controller, but it didn't come with the nunchuck attachment - is that normal?

2. Blatchford Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

It's normal not to get a nunchuck with a 2nd controller, kind of annoying but you can buy them seperately too if you want one.
    As for games the big names should be fairly obvious, if you liked the previous Super Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, Smash Bros etc. then you'll like the new ones and if you've never played one before they're worth trying. I can't help on less well known names though, Zack and Wiki is meant to be good but I haven't got round to playing it.

3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'd avoid Destroy All Humans 3, it's a nightmare to control!

We've got a WII Fit board which is fabulous

4. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Boomblox is a decent game, if rather short. At the beginning of each level, you receive an objective and then you push, pull, destroy the blocks to reach the objective. There are a bunch of levels but after beating them there's little incentive to go back to them, even for a high score.

I have a Wii. I got it when it came out. I've never been impressed with it at all. The games seem childish; or just don't work and seem broken. Besides the WiiSports that comes with the console, I'm not impressed with alot of the games. I got a bunch of the launch titles and gave each one the go-around, but I was just not impressed.

Also, the Wii plays Gamecube games. If not for this function, my Wii wouldn't see much action at all. The downside to this is that if you have a Gamecube with the Gameboy Player or an Action Replay, you can't use these in conjunction with the Wii. You'd have to hook the Gamecube back up.

You might also notice that alot of the top titles on the PS3 and Xbox360 get skipped over when it comes to the Wii. "Call of Duty 4" is a great example. It's on PS3 and Xbox360, and guys I know get alot of play out of it. Its just kind of bizarre seeing as "Call of Duty 3" was a launch title and "Call of Duty: World at War" is on the Wii.

5. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I second starfox's thoughts. The incredibly vast majority of Wii games are incredbily cheaply made and absurdly short. For almost any game which has an Xbox 360 or PS3 counterpart, the Wii version does not even compare in terms of graphics and gameplay, as large chunks are taken out of the campaigns.

For example Force Unleashed, which I bought, and to my dismay completed the campaign but six hours later, and did indeed find the plot confusing because quite a few significant missions and related videos were gutted. My glee of purchasing the newly released James Bond soon turned to disgust, as I dicovered it to be an even more pathetic shadow of its counter parts; and in no way worthy of the James Bond title. There are 8 missions (if I'm not mistaken), and only 8 multiplayer characters to choose from, not to mention half that many weapons...so I highly recomend against purchasing these seemingly alluring titles. From the reviews I've read, movie inspired video games like Iron Man, the Hulk, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire are all quite pathetic as well.

The only game which I've heard otherwise is Call of Duty: World At War; which I am likely to get due to all of the excellent feedback I've heard about it. Apparently the campaign is identical to its console counterparts, with only the graphics suffering, but still apparently the best looking Wii game. I'll update this once I've tried it out.

To sum up, I'm quite disapointed with the Wii games released so far as most are half arsed and hardly worth the cost to create their own casings. The biggest issue is that Nintendo seems to be rushing a bunch of games to fill the shelves, but each only offering a few hours of entertainment, thus only being rent worthy at best. The few games I would recommend are the usual suspects; Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros; Brawl, and Zelda Twilight Princess. Thats right, only three games...so for now I can only wait for something better to come along (like I have been doing for over a year now)....I think it sad that the newer games have me longing for my N64...or pondering purchasing an Xbox 360 which is now less expensive than the Wii here....<end disheartening rant>

edit: And yes, controller's don't come with nunchuks, its about $70 per player added (canadian that is; $45 for remote, $25 for nunchuk)

6. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    So there you go Aldeth, we're all so negative that we rush to put down the Wii games rather than answering your question

7. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I've heard really good things about No More Heroes.

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There's also this thread from not too long ago that might help.

9. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Super Mario Galaxy is fun. My son loves Super Smash Bros. Brawl (it's a fighting game).

10. Silvery

Media:
    The sonic tennis thing is good too

11. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I recommend picking up with Wii Fit and Board; this is a great addition to the Wii.

Other recommendations include any Nintendo titled game - this includes all Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc... games. Any game not a Nintendo game will be shortened when compared to the PS2 or the high end platforms.

There are a few good non-Nintendo titles; these games have a bunch of mini-games, the mini-games is what makes Wii games fun.

12. Silvery

Media:
    We've got house of the living dead (arcade zombie shoot out) which is good to play but you have to persevere with it as we found it was a pain to set up.

The resistance fall of man games should be good on there but i don't know if they're out on the wii

13. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Resistance is a sony release; therefore it will only be on the PS3. I believe you are thinking of Call of Duty, which I heard good things for the Wii, though the game is very short.

14. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Nunchuks and Classic Controllers are purchased separately. It's a total ripoff because you need one or the other for most games. The only games I've played that only require the remote are downloaded (where the Classic Controller is more convenient) and some of the WiiSports games.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  15. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

My son got Mario Cart Wii and Lego Batman for Christmas. Both are a lot of fun.

16. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

We got Mario Kart for christmas. It's great fun for playing with when there are folk round.

17. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Seconding hearing really good things about No More Heroes. Ultraviolence, yay!

For a more kiddish side, try Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy.

Also, the old GameCube library works perfect on the Wii, so you have *plenty* of games to try out as soon as you get a classic controller. Which you really should get.

18. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Don't forget the GameCube controller also works on the Wii if you want to play GameCube games.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.