1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Peculiar Armor Usage

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by starfox64, Nov 20, 2008.

1. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I was playing about a week ago when I stumbled upon a bizarre quirk with my Avenger. It turned out he was able to equip Shadow Scale Armor. This wasn't a huge surprise because I knew that thieves could equip it too. So, it appears that Shadow Scale counts as leather armor. No, the bizarre part was when I found he was able to equip Red Dragon Scale armor and Ankheg Plate Mail. So, this got me thinking, what other classes with armor restrictions can use these armors?

Kensais and Monks cannot use armor and cannot use these either.
    Archers and Stalkers (and probably Valygar included, although I didn't test him) can use the Shadow Scale armor and still hide in shadows.
    This one's a little wierd; Shapeshifters (and probably Cernd included, although I didn't test him) can use the Shadow Scale armor even though their kit states they cannot use any armor.
    Bards, Barbarians, and Thieves can use the Shadow Scale armor. Theives can still use all of their abilities while wearing the Shadow Scale. Bards can still pickpocket but cannot cast spells. I'm sure the same applies to Thief/Mages, although I didn't test that build.

So it seems the only real bizarre one was the Avenger and Shapeshifter. I still don't know why the Avenger can equip Red Dragon Scale armor and Ankheg Plate Mail. The regular Druid can equip all 3 as well.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Shapeshifter is looking better and better....

There are bugs in the Corthala Family Armor and Keldorn's Armor that allow others to use them. Monks, in particular, can use Keldorn's Armor if they have the proper stats.

In BG1 a druid could wear Ankheg Plate Armor, so I don't think those are a bug for the plain druid. Shadow Scale Armor is considered leather and is the best armor for a thief in SoA (although a good argument could be made for the Human Flesh Armor and The Night's Gift).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  3. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Starfox, I think that the reason that your avenger can don those various scale armors is because they are armors made of natural materials, not metal. Or at least, that's probably the in-game justification.

4. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Dragon scale and Ankheg armour are 'natural'. So it would make some sense to have Rangers and Druids equipping them.

5. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

"Vanilla" Rangers and Druids can use these armors (ie. Red Dragon Scale and Ankheg Plate Mail). The kits are the ones that have armor restrictions that still allow the wearing of some "natural" armors and not others. Perhaps I should have copied the kits' armor restrictions into the thread for those who aren't familiar with the kits?

The Avenger is only supposed to be able to equip leather armor as the kit states. The Stalker is supposed to be able to equip up to studded leather armor, as the kit states. Yet, the Stalker cannot equip the Red Dragon Scale or Ankheg and the Avenger can.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  6. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Yeah, the BGII usability restrictions were never implemented 100% consistently. A consequence of having so many kits and character options in the game is that it then becomes very, very difficult to balance and playtest everything properly. That's why BG1 handled everything much more smoothly & everything is as it should be -- the scope of its character creation is more limited, and thus better implemented. Even the exception of a druid being able to use Ankheg plate a) works and b) is obviously an intentional exception.

If you want, it's pretty straightforward to edit items using a program like DLTCEP and alter their usability restrictions. Actually, that's about the easiest change to make to the game, as long as you intend to stick to the innate limitations of the Infinity Engine. You could then package the updated .itm files and post them for folk to d/l if they wanted to. Heck, Tal might even host it, and you'd have made a contribution to the SP community and earnt yourself a portrait without even having to dip into your purse or learn to use WeiDU! :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.