1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Holy Liberator kit

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Acrux, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

What's your opinion of the kit? I've had the Oversight mod installed forever, but I've never actually used the Holy Liberator. The concept sounds very interesting, but I'm wondering how effective it is in terms of actual gameplay? The mind-affecting ward seems like it would be useful in the Illithid Lair, but it seems like the kit is somehow just slightly underpowered compared to the Undead Hunter and Cavalier (Inquisitor doesn't even get a comparison).

So, what are your thoughts?

Kit Description:

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

That would be very useful against sirines if you plan to start through TuTu. Infact such a character can easily solo sirines (with a good armor/shield to deflect their poison arrows) and earn tons and tons of XP. Then wrestle some basilisks with protection from petrification scroll or potion and you have a high lvl character in a blink.

In BG2, its power would be very limited though. Helmets of Charm Protection are easy to come by, and few enemies do use charm...though it would be very useful against vampires, but wait, hmm, does 'protection from mind affecting powers' also give immunity to sleep, domination, confusion, chaos, emotion:hopelesness, stun, fear etc? That would help a lot against enemy mages, mind flayers, vampires, and umber hulks. Please test it and tell us.

It would be less powerful in ToB though, as an epic level party is less suspectible to such enchantment effects...while an Inquisitor will still be hugely useful with a level 50+ dispel magic:wiping out every spell effect without faliure!

3. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Does not seem overly useful. Immune to Charm = Big Deal!!!

An Undead Hunter's immunities are miles better.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This sounds like something Robin would say...

'Holy Liberator kit, Batman!'

5. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I like the plot points of a Holy Liberator. In a setting where bloodline rather than the desire for justice determines rulership there should be an understandable group of people who are good but not supportive of a legal system that gives certain people power without regard to if said people are good to have around.

Paladins are bound to be Lawful Good and thus they face a moral problem (which the game touched on softly) to be both good and lawful. If the "rightful" ruler of a land turns out to be cruel and they are in his service they face choosing between following Good (and rebelling against authority) or Lawful (and supporting a bad ruler).

Chaotic Good players made their choice long ago.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    pplr: Lawful Good does not mean Lawful Stupid. The laws a paladin supports must be good and just -- or they must be overturned. A paladin will not support an evil despot and will not obey the laws of an evil society. The paladin obeys the laws and strictures of his or her religious beliefs -- the laws of man are secondary. There is no moral dilemma for a paladin as they will always follow the laws of their beliefs and act to promote those; even if it means they are disobeying the laws of men.

From a previous post of mine:

If you take a look at the various alignment parts:

Lawful: Believes the society is more important than the rights of an individual.
    Chaotic: Believes the rights of an individual are more important than society.
    Good: Believes the path to happiness focuses on others.
    Evil: Believes the path to happiness focuses on self.​

7. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    A good point though I think it can be argued that they must pay at least some respect to/for the laws of man. Paying attention to the laws of ones faith may not lead a follower of Talos to have any type of "lawful" alignment-despite the fact that such a follower my be sticking strongly to the tenets of his faith.

If you think my idea of testing paladins isn't accurate enough or is too strict that is a point because reasonable people can disagree on how a DM throws dilemmas at paladins.

Maybe I've read too much Warhammer 40k stuff. I would easily give many figures in the Empire of Man a Lawful Evil alignment as they (despite a determined fight against Chaos, chaotic evil in D&D terms, and so on) have legal systems that frequently spread or embrace injustice rather than the reverse.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.