1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weapon types that you just don't ever use

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Vigilance, Sep 24, 2008.

1. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I only use Halberds ... in every game. Especially for Sarevok -- Ravager +6 plus Deathbringer Assault means a lot of dead enemies.

2. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I've used 'em all. :)

I agree with Halberds being the best single weapon in the game, but I personally think dual wielding the Axe of Unyielding with Crom Faeyr in the offhand makes for more kills.

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Daggers, crossbows, darts, spears, clubs, and maces.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Noone ever uses daggers, crossbows, darts or spears. Because they suck. I use maces a lot; how you can't is beyond me. Good blunt damage output there, and there's some good maces about. I sometimes gave Jaheira clubs. However, daggers, crossbows, darts and spears just aren't viable when compared to other options. Also, halberds rule, end of. They kick the living ***** out of two-handed swords. One of my first chars was a half orc halberd wiedling beast. Still one of the best chars I've ever had, super powerful. The only char I've had stronger than that was my sorcerer, but they are just far overpowered.

5. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Crossbows - short bows always seem better to me
    Short swords -why, when I've got the long variety?
    Scimitars - I don't use druids much
    Axes - I'd rather go for swords

I love spears, halberds, great swords, bows of any kind, longswords, katanas, throwing daggers, slings, darts, maces, clubs, warhammers... Am I missing anything?

That's one of the great things about BG2, they have excellent examples of just about every weapons type.

6. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Surely a good 2-h-sword would be easier. he starts with grand-mastery in 2-h-swords does he not?

Spears I think I have used for Jahiera, but I think that was Impaler.

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You gain +1 to hit and +2 damage with a little speed for grand mastery versus specialized (he starts ToB with ** in halberds) -- that would not be enough for me to ignore Ravager. By the time you get Ravager +6 he will have grand mastery in halberds. I usually start him with the Silver Sword.

8. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I use pretty much anything apart from spears, slings and darts. Never like the animation for then. I mean, you have a sharp pointy bit on it, but most of the time they use it like a staff. I now this was fixed with mods ut its still just a mental thing for me. Not too fond of ninja-tos or wakizashis either as there arent any good ones really.

To agree with most, the halberd is the best by far. As soon as I am out of the dungeon, I head to do the fallen paladins quest to get the Halberd +1, then I go through the Cult of the Unseeing Eye as soon as possible to get the Dragonslayers Halberd +3 (forget what its actually called. Then its Dragon Breath, then the Wave, then Ravager. Cant be beat.

9. Tofa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I don't think I've thrown a single dart in my entire Baldur's experience. Icewind dale neither. (either?)

Come to think of it, I always give at least on of my mages a quaterstaff, but he'll only use it is he runs out of bullets and I don't realize, so I suppose I don't technically use those either. I've also tended to shift from bows to crossbows. My mages usually have missle weapons, just to keep them busy in between spells, 'cause by ToB i don't want them too close to the action.

I also bail on throwing axes. I'm sure they have their good points, but i'd rather use two melee axes than a single throwing axe.

Hmm.

10. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I never used fists on purpose either, until one time with my re-re-re runned fighter (the one who turned undead) I kept killing and killing a cave bear and he wouldn't die, he'd just lay there. My only excuse is it was late at night so I wasn't very alert, but I finally figured out that my sword had broken and I was beating him with just fists. Ever since, when playing that character, when ever I run across a bear I throw down the sword and go Barehand Bear Bustin'. It's way more fun than Goblin Gutting, or Kobold Krushing, or . . Whatever it is you can Do to Xvarts! My favorite is Pasting Polars Bears

11. Chelsea Gems: 8/31

I rarely carry a two-hander prefering to have a second weapon for more attacks plus (if poss) the additional abilities such as +1 attack, immunities, regeneration etc.

12. Ballad Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

What's up with all the crossbow hate? Firetooth, afaik, is the only bow weapon capable of shooting unlimited +6 ammunition. Besides you can get it very early in the game (from the top of Watcher's Keep). Long bows are cooler I admit, but none of them come with inbuilt ammo which is really a problem since +3 arrows don't exist in SoA. And short bows... no self-respecting archer would ever equip a short bow.

Clubs are most likely the least useful weapon proficiency in the game. And definitely the least cool one.

13. Chelsea Gems: 8/31

It's a fine weapon. Would prefer Tuigan personally though. Or an X-Bow of speed.

For me amount of shots is key as I like to use them against spellcasters. Also I think crossbow ammo is lesser than bow ammo. Again thinking of taking out enemy spellcasters I use a lot of acid and dispelling arrows.

14. saros Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Speaking for the vanilla game, most non-useful weapons are indeed Clubs and Spears, long bows and crossbows.

Short bows are the best available missile weapons because of three things:

Arrows of Dispelling
    Gesen's Short Bow (+4 ammo unlimited)
    Tuigan Bow (+1 APR)

Crossbows are close behind, with Firetooth +4 (unlimited +4, not +6 ammo as stated in the previous post - tested against enemies vulnerable to only +5 and higher weapons)
    And the Light Crossbow of Speed grants an extra APR.

However, Crossbows lack the most needed ammo, dispellation one. In a solo Archer or Fighter game, especially no-reload, this is essential.

The upgraded Firetooth (with Bowstring of Gong) shoots +5 enchanted bolts (not +7).

This is under G3 fixpack testing. I am not sure about the vanilla Firetooth bolt enchantment level. In IA 5.0., Firetooth shoots +2 bolts.

15. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I use many things but not usually slings, clubs, or darts. I give thieves crossbows or shortbows. If I've started ToB right out w. Mazzy I use a short sword in each hand for her. In SoA I give her skills in a better hand to hand weapon, like a halberd.

I generally don't use short swords either unless it is the one that allows you free action, in which case it often ends up as a 2nd hand weapon for a dual weapon using tank. I tend to like free action stuff because you take a few web spells and follow up with fireball and a rush of tanks that don't get stuck.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  16. Uli Kunkel Gems: 1/31

Two handed weapons: unless it's Carsomyr, dual wielding is much more efficient, especially with stuff like Kundane or Belm in your off-hand.
    Daggers, short swords, long swords, bastard swords, clubs, warhammers: there just aren't any good ones in the game, though occasionally I'll give Gnasher to Jaheira.
    Darts: I tried really hard to like these - 3 apr is good, right? But their obscene range and the poor availability of good ammo plus the fact that they always seem to make their way into the hands of charachters who couldn't use bows anyway keep discouraging me.

I think Ravager is overrated: I'd rather have some permanent useful immunity or some on hit effect than a slim chance of instakilling an enemy (assuming it's not immuned).

17. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Don't discount two-handed weapons. There's Carsomyr in any BG2, and TOB has Carsomyr+6, Ravager+6, Gram+6, Ixil's Spike+6, and any mage wanting to use the Staff of the Magi (or a fighter thief specializing in staves :) ). I won't claim for a second that they're flat out better than dual weilding, but they're easily competetive.

18. Uli Kunkel Gems: 1/31

Carsomyr is hands down the strongest weapon in the game and imho the only one really worth the sacrifice, but I don't think the others compensate for the +1 apr and the equipped abilities of an extra weapon. I used to like Ravager a lot (on Sarevok especially), but vorpal hits never really made much difference and I'd rather have a permanent bonus - or use the Axe of the Unyielding which has the same ability while being only one-handed.

19. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I rarely use warhammers. Crom Faeyr (sp?) is not very useful for the character types I use (good aligned fighter-types with high starting strength). There's that one warhammer in ToB, the name of which I can't remember, but thats a bit late for me.

20. Boy at a busstop Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I have a confession to make: I've never bothered with the Crom Faeyr...

I just don't see the attraction of a STR 25 weapon. It might be because I like playing the underdog, so I usually use sub-optimal builds and weapons.

For that reason, I love darts, daggers and quarterstaves. I'm usually dissapointed with spears and short swords though, most of them just aren't worth it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.