1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How good is Edwin?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Eyebreaker7, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    One on Sunin (mage in SW Baldur's Gate) and one outside Friendly Arm Inn coordinates x2552, y3760.

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

*cough* Gatekeeper *cough*

:p

3. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

There is a way around this; I have done it before and you are able to keep both Minsc and Edwin. The dialog between the two as you progress is excellent within BG1. I believe I allowed Edwin to leave my group to kill the witch. I removed Minsc and had him wait for me in his spot. I than took Edwin back in my group and picked up Minsc. It worked out great until I hit a reputation of 19, at which point Edwin left the group. He was the best wizard I used because of all the extra spells he could have if you gave him both ring of wizardy. I believe he had close to 12 or 13 magic missiles by the end of the game.

4. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

Good point, this also fits with Lawful Evil alignment's description.

5. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    IIRC the Ring of Wizardry was removed from FAI in a patch and then brought back in TotSC.

6. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I always remember the Ring of Wizardy being in the FAI with a patch, without a patch, with or without TotSC.

7. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I always forget what took the ring out and what put it back in, but I do know for a fact that it was out at some point. Did the same as oli - spent hours looking for the unmentionable thing, only to find out it was taken out of the version I was playing!

9. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Is the ring still there in the 3disk version of the game? (BG+TotSC)

10. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I like to keep both Minsc and Edwin.

The last time I played, I think I just made Minsc kill Dynaheir. *CHUNKS*

11. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Yes, it is in that version. I've heard certain patches removed it, but I have never had that problem/

12. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I actually killed Edwin early on (attacked w my party and he wasn't a member). I generally like Minsc and co anyway (Magic missile R' us) as I play a good party. The one thing that made me feel bad about not having him join is I heard there is a certain point where if you don't kick out or kill Dynaheir then Edwin leaves the party and sets up an ambush with additional red wizards. I wouldn't mind fighting through that if it actually happens.

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He's not good ... he's evil ... EVIL!

... but he is an excellent mage with some great banter. I tend to like Xzar's comments better though.

14. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

If my party dynamics allow it (and even sometimes if they don't), I take Edwin. He's got the most spells in the game next to a PC sorcerer as a MAGE.

15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You can't have a sorcerer in the basic BG1 game....

16. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

He must be thinking of tutu then.

17. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Edwin is great for a good party. He betrays you if you have Dynaheir for long and impales on swords, spears, axes, and other things quite nicely.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.