1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Obama asked why he's running for Pres. and he can't answer!

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Klorox, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

YouTube - Barack Obama Scares A 7 Year Old Girl

If I answered like that on a job interview, I'd be told the classic, "Don't call us, we'll call you."

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    lol insulting 7-year olds is always funny ;)

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Did he answer the question? Maybe he doesn't know why he is running?

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    No offense, guys, but what the hell was wrong with that response? I guess it's only OK to make a joke when you're republican...

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ...or perhaps he doesn't know how to express it in a way a seven-year-old would understand (without sounding ridiculous in a sound bite). So he chose instead to answer the question as if an adult asked it.

Drew likes this.
  6. Drew

Media:
    That just about hits the nail on the head. How on earth do you explain such a high-minded concept to a kid without over-simplifying to the point of absurdity?

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think the first 1:07 was very awkward while he stalled to collect his thoughts. I stopped watching around there at first because I couldn't take it. Then I saw Drew's first response and figured there must have been something good after I stopped watching, and the rest of the clip was much better :)

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    The curse of the slow internet strikes again. I get, with pauses about every 1/8 of a second, 'W....w.....wh...wh....wh....y....y....y.....y.....y'. I don't suppose anyone could give a brief transcript or something, could they?

9. Drew

Media:
    Unfortunately, NOG, this one isn't even remotely news-worthy, so it's highly unlikely anyone will bother to transcribe it.

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I can't believe we're even discussing this. Is this a slow news day or what? Nothing more trivial out there to concern ourselves with? When will the MSM start asking Obama the hard questions, like "Senator: Snap, Crackle, or Pop?"

11. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

NOG, if you want to watch it, pause it until it's loaded.

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I see nothing insulting or inappropriate in the way Obama answered the little girl. I doubt any other politicians could have done a better job. Must be a real slow news day, like DR said.

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Exactly.

The anti-Obama's are scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    They have been for a while. This is what happens when the bottom of the barrel starts to disintegrate as a result of all that furious scraping.

15. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Not bad near the end, but still better than saying that all the other candidated that teh Democrats could field were knobs that even George W. with his record low approval ratings could beat...

But he is right about one thing--the nation is becoming more divided. You see it in Canada too. The partisan bickering and finger pointing really does jack squat for the nation. The parties need to look to the platforms they preached relentlessly during the campaign (and yes, they should promote the platform instead of going on the attack), compare that to the percentage of the vote and that should give a reading of what the people think.

For example, if Obama wins (and it looks more likely that he will), but only gets 52% of the popular vote, then the Democrats should read into that that only half the country is sold on his platform and the other half has more faith in the Republican philosophies. Based on that, the politicians should work together and try to find a middle ground between the two platforms and use that for the course for the next 4 years.

But we all know that won't happen. We're going to get the same activity from a bunch of spoiled 5 year olds that will insist on their own way, and the country will slide further in the next four years...

16. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

True, it would be best if that happened. Yet with the current US election system, which is quite heavily tilted to the "winner takes all" principle, such lessons are hard to learn - and object reminders tend to point to the contrary. Remember Bush's 2004 claim that his electoral win - not particularly decisive either - means he had a mandate from the country to continue his policies?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.