1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Obama at risk?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by LKD, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I disagree with both of these.

First there have been a couple of effigies of Obama recently on campuses in Oregon and Kentucky. No big deal.

Second hanging or burning in effigy is not a call to violence, it is simply a form of protest against disliked figures. Again: No big deal.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    DR: The exact attacks were different, but no less nasty. Anger, mob rules, and threats of violence have always been a part of politics and political rallies. Burning in effigy was very common into the 80's.

As far as the ads go ... I guess that one goes both ways. But at least since Nixon there have always been negative ads.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    One more thing I'd like to add. While we clearly have a difference of opinion on the significance of these actions, I will concede that I think it should be legal to do this. It probably fall under freedom of speech/expression. However, when you burn or hang a mannequin of a political figure, that can be interpreted as a call to violence. I'm not saying that's what people are intending, or that's what most rational people would do, but let's face it - there are nutjobs in the world. I cannot condone this kind of stuff no matter which party the politician belongs to.

Um... Yeah. I had not considered it until you brought that point up. I don't think Calfiornia has any history of lynching white women in their 40s.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    T2, I'm not talking about merely "negative" ads. Everyone does them and they don't bother me. What I'm talking about are patently dishonest and inflammatory ads, like the one accusing Obama of funding sex ed for toddlers*. Surely we can agree that not all negative ads are created equal.

I can think of two such instances where Obama has gone beyond the pale in his advertising; one was his Spanish-language ad tying McCain to Rush Limbaugh, the other was his harping on the "100 years" comment (which wasn't even that bad). If there are other examples, let me know - but to my knowledge that is the worst the Obama campaign has put out there. I can't honestly believe you think both campaigns have been equally negative in their ads and stump rhetoric.

* Or this new gem, released today.

I mean there are negative ads, and then there are negative ads. I really can't imagine Ronald Reagan approving something so bigoted, fearmongering, inflammatory, just downright stupid – can you? Is there a YouTube of the famous "Carter Spoons the Ayatola" ad floating around out there somewhere?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Holy poopburgers! Are you kidding me? Talk about a false choice! So if Obama meets with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, it would necessarily force us to remove all of our troops from the Middle East? WTF? I hate ads like this. The only positive thing I can say about that ad is usually when you go THIS over the top, it turns more people off than it convinces people to vote for you. Let's face it, anyone who believes that ad wasn't particularly likely to vote for Obama regardless.

/me glances at Snook/

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I believe it was the French President Nicolas Sarkozy who said "Obama's position on Iran is utterly immature"

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    And if Obama's position on Iran actually was what was presented in that commercial, I would agree with him.

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would think that this, in and of itself, would be enough to get flag-waving Americans behind Obama.

"Freedom fries", anyone?

9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually, It means that there may be a hope for France after all. I wish I could say the same thing for the United Kingdom.

10. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Blackthorne, if they were the same then why was the effigy at the university of kentucky removed less than an hour after it was found, while the one of palin was left up for more than a week until the owner DECIDED to take it down?
    http://polwatchers.typepad.com/pol_watchers/2008/10/obama-effigy-found-on-uks-campus.html
    Not to mention all of the democrats calling for the person responsible to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law
    http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09/racial_incident_rattles_george.html
    And of course as soon as one is found "oh dear the terrible racists!" & we will punish them as soon as they are found.
    Yeah thats equal justice:rolleyes:

11. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well, it depends. Chances are that Kentucky U is more picky about what you can do on its premises, being an effectively public organization and all... Your lawn is your own lawn. Mind you, I personally find either distasteful.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  12. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

From a UK point of view, Sarkozy is by far and away the best thing that has happened in Fench politics... ever. Someone who acutally wants to be friendly with us rather than wanting to burn our sheep and baricade us from their ports. :p

I am surprised that the UK's beliefs on the presidential election have featured in the US at all. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7607411.stm. As far as I know our Gordy has only endorsed one of Obama's policies, not his candidacy. However, the McCain campaign of smear tactics (Birth certificates, Terrorism links, Religious affiliations) would not ever have worked in the UK and anyone trying this would have received short thrift from the voters (We'd like to think we'd rise above such obvious nonsense). Coupled with his aggresive foreign policy, McCain isn't going to have won many friends with the UK voters -particularly as we feel we have been misled into at least one war and McCain looks like he would drag us into another. Of course this is probably just our left-wing media bias. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/03/22/do2203.xml
    (The telegraph is also known as the Torygraph and a very right-wing newspaper, if this is supporting Obama then McCain stands no-chance)

13. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Apparently the FBI may have foiled one such plot against Obama already.

But Yes, I think Obama is already at an elevated risk, as a Black man (hated by some racists, who have more than a few nutters), and the false accusation of affiliation with Islam that won't go away (again, nutters that oppose Islam might strike), he will piss off many more nutters than previous presidents.

That said, Nobody would shoot McCain if he gets in because they may not want Palin as President...

Death Rabbit likes this.
  14. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree, Gnarff.

15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't know about that Gnarff -- if people can't get to Bush they won't get to Obama (if he wins).

16. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

T2Bruno, remember that most of those who dont like bush are democrats &\or liberals who also hate those evil nasty guns:p
    Kinda hard to snipe somebody when you wont pick up a gun.

Obama on the other hand is probably going to piss off people that like guns & can make a 1,000 yard shot

17. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I don't know, T2. I've heard some people mention plots involving as much as 500 hitmen at one time. There's all kinds of crazy talk out there, atm.

Oh, yeah, that's a poor reason to shoot someone, Martaug. That comment isn't funny, and it's downright offensive. But I'm not surprised by the level of hatred for Obama coming from the conservatives on this board these days.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  18. Death Rabbit

Media:
    The secret service does an amazing job, and I've no doubt a president Obama would be in good hands. Still, I think it's obvious that the threat to Obama is far more serious than for any past President of the last 50 years (yes, even W) because of what he represents. W is unpopular, but the majority of his violent opposition comes from outside the US, and an outside threat is much easier to guard against than a threat from within. I believe the opposite will be true for Obama, since much of the world is rooting for him already, and it's only within the US that the calls for his death have already begun. The secret service will have their work cut out for them.

19. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Chandos, there are also claims that if Obama looses, it'll start a new Civil War in the US. I wouldn't give any credit to either of those rumors.

20. Death Rabbit

Media:
    NOG, loose = non-snug, lose = non-win.

I is a friendly bunny

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.