1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Sports Babbling Post 2

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Basketball is... wonderful.

Sometimes I wish I was still actively training it - then I remember jumping up a flight of stairs and "touch the court lines" sprint routine. I can live without those. :p

2. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It's also pretty much been the only way I've been meeting people, so that's a definite plus. Yeah... I don't really miss all the conditioning drills from training, my least favorite thing was at the end of every practice. Our whole team had to line up and make 75% of our FT's (one each, and keep in mind... no-cut policy, there were some TERRIBLE shooters, lol) and if we didn't get it, we'd have to run the amount we missed 75% by (by missed shots) x2 lengths of the court. Next round it would be x3 and so on. Making free throws after around 40 lengths gets hard :grin:

3. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Heh, I can sympathise with that.

The thing I remember hating was some counter-attack drill that had us running across the court in patterns back and forth like mad(wo)men, passing to each other and scoring at the alternate hoops (regular layup). If you miss a shot - you get ten jumps by the out line. Also, use the wrong arm (left on a rightsided layup and vice versa) you get ten jumps by the out line. That's rather easy to avoid - except when the drill is at the end of a training and you're dead beat. Since I'm left handed I used to get jumps all the time on the rightsided layups the first few years I trained - I shoot with my left, score, get ten jumps, wrong arm. I shoot with my right hand - miss, get ten jumps for missing. I was hopping around like a rabbit, in danger of getting a concussion. :shake:

I loved tactics sessions, shooting drills - oh, and of course playing.
    Although I must admit that my play was rather defense oriented. Much better defender then scorer. Bulldog type :p

I was a center. What's your position, ChickenIsGood?

(I'm not sure if I'm getting all the sport terms right, so feel free to correct me - not used to talking basketball in English)

4. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I'm not big on baseball, but this is a good game to watch right now (ALCS).

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

The NHL season has started again. My Leafs opened by walking into the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit and spoiling the opener for the Detroit Red Wings on the night where they raised the Stanley Cup banner. Ed Snider is drawing fire for having Sarah Palin drop the puck on opening night in Philly. And in Ottawa, Their Captain is already injured...

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    The Phillies won!

Let there be champagne and naked dancing!

Moved from the wrestling specific thread, because I was in too much of a euphoria-induced haze to notice the "Wrestling" part... but really, 20 pages on a choreographed psuedo-sport? Who'd've thunk it...

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I watched it. Lidge was really on last night -- fortunately he didn't have to face Pujols. Lidge has been amazing all year (even when facing Pujols).

Good to see you back.

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    My vote for The Play Of The Game goes to Utley's fake to first to nail the runner at home. Brilliant!

The victory parade is today, and the company is allowing us to take the afternoon off!

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The All Blacks are playing the Wallabies tonight . . . . in Hong Kong!?

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Saw a clip on CNN about that game. They were saying that it was sort of a PR thing, to try and slowly break into the Asian sporting market.

11. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Utley's play was very good, it was very unique... I mean, every single baserunner would have done the same thing as Bartlett, no one was expecting that.

Rays '09 baby, I am looking forward to it!

12. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Bad year to be a Washington (state) sports fan. First off the NBA team moves to Oklahoma City, the MLB team loses over 100 games, and now the NFL team is in the dumps after many successful seasons. Even my college team (WSU) is 1-8 and constantly setting records for futility, the other state college is 0-9 (UW). Hopefully college basketball brings change with the two solid programs (Gonzaga and UW) and one rising program (WSU).

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Go The All Blacks!

14. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Washington State University... Crapple Cup champions!

15. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Considered moving?

16. Harbourboy

Go the Kiwis! World Champions!

17. Gnarfflinger

The Brian Burke era has begun in Toronto. This afternoon, the Toronto Maple Leafs had a press conference to introduce Burke as the new President and GM of the team. For 10 months, the Toronto Sports media has annointed him as the man to get the job and save the team. For 10 months I didn't think he'd be coming. I was wrong, and I hope this heralds the return to competitiveness...

18. Gnarfflinger

With everything that's been happening, I'm surprised that nobody is here making cracks at Plexico Burress for accidentally shooting himself in the thigh at a night club. He was worried about getting mugged for having too much jewelry and cash on him. Solutions include bodyguards, not wearing so much jewelry and a bank card.

And since then, Sean Avery is suspended indefinitely from the NHL for comments about his ex girlfriends and their current significant others, one of them is Dion Phaneuf of the Calgary Flames. I'd say make Avery go through the Neutral Zone with his head down while Phaneuf is patroling the blue line. And if you really want to hurt him, injure his hands. After his comments about his ex girlfriends, he's really going to need them...

The Caroline Hurricanes fired coach Peter Laviolette, who led them to the Stanley Cup a few years ago, only to replace him with his predecessor--Paul Maurice!

Also the Toronto Raptors (NBA) fired coach Sam Mitchell after an embarrassing loss out west last night...

A lot happening, but this place is dead...

19. Harbourboy

Not much happening in this thread at all. Um, how about Auckland being 359-2 on the first day of their 3-day match against the West Indies?

20. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The main-page forum description for the Colloseum says "For posts about sports and any kind of recreational activities that don't involve dice or mice".

What if I want to post about that other sport of kings, mouse racing?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.