1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO by BioWare Finally Announced

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Oct 23, 2008.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    BioWare, the creator of the first Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, is following through with another Star Wars title. The new game is supposed to be a story-driven massive multiplayer online roleplaying game (MMORPG) set some time during the Sith Wars, several thousands of years before the Star Wars trilogy, which is the time when the Knights of the Old Republic games took place, plus roughly 300 years. Cooperative multiplayer will be possible in order to finish quests together and players will be able to pursue the light or the dark side of the Force to some effect in the game. It will be possible to be a member of the Jedi Order, as well as a Sith, and some personal history will be shaped by the player's actions. There's also more than just a hint of meaningful friendly NPCs to join forces with, in addition to human players. In BioWare's own words:

We are thrilled to be announcing the game that will bring the 4th pillar, real emotion and a meaningful story, to the MMORPG space. At BioWare, we’ve always been committed to crafting rich, deep worlds and emotionally engaging stories and characters and our goal for Star Wars: The Old Republic is to bring that vision to the MMORPG genre.

This is only the beginning of our announcements on Star Wars: The Old Republic and we hope you’ll join us for this journey. We can’t wait to share more with you in the coming months as we plan to showcase new game features and story details. Meanwhile, please explore the official Star Wars: The Old Republic website and join our community to learn more about our other upcoming titles at BioWare!

Read more at the newly opened Star Wars site at BioWare.

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    What a surprise. It's not as if anyone expected this to be a KOTOR MMO. No, I'm pretty sure none of us saw this coming :rolleyes:

3. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    I don't care for MMO's.
    Sadly, with such games one can milk the most money out of the gamers, and thus these games will be produced.
    Besides Bioware I'm a Blizzard fan, and WOW destroyed it for me.
    I even tried and gave it a chance but de-installed it after 2 weeks.

Despite my negative stance on this subject I can imagine that if one game is able to push WOW from its throne, it's possibly the old republic.

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, if I have to pay monthly for it the choice becomes harder. I don't know. I never plyed WOW but I did play Guild Wars. Guild Wars is a good game, but after a few weeks it gets bored. If Bioware is able to stay away from grinding, leveling for leveling, and over the top-ism it might work.

5. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Oh, Boy!

An MMO! I feel a head-ache commin'!
    :confused:

6. Blatchford Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

A story driven MMO? Sorry but I can't really see how that's even remotly possible. Content can't be produced any where near as fast as it's completed, so either you're expecting players to play through it, switch to another game and then come back for every new patch (not realistic if a subscription is involved), or replay through it a lot (in which case it has to be incredibly good), or include grinds, pvp and dungeons for players to repeat while they're waiting (in which case it's about as story driven as WoW, which does have some good plot lines but they're very disjointed).

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Pre-built blocks and Game Masters to operate them, I guess. They could piece things together using some repeating clusters, as I doubt they'd hire anywhere near enough DM's to pamper every needy player. Not so sure about henchmen. Perhaps something generic. At worst, there could be some name and picture shuffling with repeating personalities and dialogue files.

8. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    I talked with a friend recently and he mentioned another starwars MMO he played once (I can't recall the name right now).

He said, that in the end what destroyed the fun for him, was the fact that everyone wanted to play a jedi and not one of the other classes.
    That was a big immersion breaker for him.

I'd like to know how Bioware wants to solve this problem :-).

9. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    SW Galaxies!

Played it myself!

Was a really good idea and I enjoyed the first two months (found a nice RPG group and all), but later it was hard to find good RPG'ers and everything became power-gaming!

My Scout didn't stand a chance!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.