1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is it cheating for a Kensai or a Cavalier to use throwing axes & daggers?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by SlickRCBD, Oct 23, 2008.

?

Is it cheating to use throwing axes/daggers with Cavaliers & Kensais?

1. Yes, it is an exploit of a limitation in the game's engine and should be considered cheating.

17.4%
  2. No, the developers could have excluded these items from these classes, since they didn't, they are f

82.6%
  1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Both the Kensai and the Cavalier's kit descriptions say that they are unable to use ranged weapons. Yet, you are able to give them throwing axes or daggers, and can even specialize in them. Azureedge and Firetooth are both awesome ranged weapons, even if giving them firetooth is taking it away from your mage.

Is this a bug in the game's engine that is being exploited since the engine may not be able to distinguish between throwing axes/daggers and normal ones, and using them is cheeting, or is this a valid tactic? I'm wondering if I should feel guilty in using them.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Don't feel guilty. Just enjoy the game.

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    If you feel bad about them don't use them.

Truth be told, the Kensai using throwing axes is a little weird... But if it's fun, why not?

It's certainly not as cheesy as using SK to add a kit to a multiclass or using the kick every one out and scribe scrolls like there's no tomorrow tack or taking Yoshi in order to get his heart when you get to Brynnlaw and dualclassing him into a fighter specialized in clubs right before confronting Irenicus.

I would be more concerned about some overpowered items like the Shield of Balduran for Beholders or the Cloak of cheese.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    As if it matters. Give the guy a bloody throwing axe and show some orcs who's boss! They have bad breath anyway. Never liked 'em.

5. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    You have to spend weapon proficiency points to get them, meaning a big minus for kensais. For cavaliers it's not a big loss, but a pally using axes is just plain wrong.

6. Blatchford Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

To me a kensai using throwing daggers makes perfect sense, seems to fit in with the idea of the class as long as they're not being used all the time. The other combinations make less sense, but still as others have said there's no real reason not to go for it unless you feel bad about it.

7. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Why? Azuredge is a perfect fit.

Do you think axes are just for dwarves or barbarians.

8. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Nope. I just think it's not a particularly noble weapon. I always thought paladins as knight templars or such. Those guys always used swords. Greataxe might still be ok, but one handed and thrown? Nah.
    If you want to use them with pally, go ahead, I don't think it's cheating or anything. Just weird.

(Let's not make this another thread about my BG weapon perversions. We're already off-topic.)

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I know it is an odd build, but I shoud also point out that a Dwarven Kensai can also use the Dwarven Thrower+3 from Trademeet for ranged attacks.

Just for educational purposes. At least if anybody else feels the need to give their Kensai a distance attack. Your options are throwing axes, throwing knives, and throwing hammers. Of the latter, I can only recall one in the entire game.

10. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I would just like to point out that axes were a very common weapon for crusading knights to use (both historically and literarily). An inquisitor or undead hunter with multiple points in axes is one of my favorite builds.

11. Chelsea Gems: 8/31

12. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    One of my first (and happiest with) characters was an undead hunter that can use bastard swords and axes (yes I use each hand). Axes make great weapons.

Also to get 2 copies of a good ToB axe do NOT help the smugglers (the leader detects as evil anyway). Buy the axe and armor from him before the monks take him away (so do this quickly and in 1 shopping attempt). If you are low on gold make sure you have some decent gems as they seem to buy them for more gold than they sell them (leading to unlimited money for that one time). Then attack the smuggler leader before he goes offscreen. No, you don't loose rep, but you do get an extra copy of that throwing axe you just bought when he drops it.

13. Chelsea Gems: 8/31

What's the Axe called?
    I am not aware of any axe being there.

14. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Klogarath. It's there after and if you've helped the smugglers with their troubles with the monks, but I've not seen the smuggler dropping it either when he's killed...

15. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I apologize for bringing up ToB in a SoA forum-I didn't think of that when I mentioned what I did.

As I already mentioned it I just wanted to clarify for you who are talking about the axe (K'logarath). I only got a 2nd one by choosing not to help the smugglers. This means you only have 1 chance to purchase from the smugglers (as the monks are taking them away-so be quick after you talk to the monks). And then attack before the leader is off screen. When I decided to help the smugglers and then tried it afterwards it didn't work. Thus don't try to stop the monks.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.