1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Melf's minute meteors - an interesting discovery

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by TIN_MAN, Aug 29, 2001.

1. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Let me tell you something I have experienced with Lavok(planar sphere).

My sorcerer and Lavok were engaged in a mage duel. Lavok casted Abi Dalzim's horrid wilting at me which was completely useless, since my sorcerer was protected by mirror image(heh..heh :D).

He was protected by protection from energy, protection from magical weapons and spell deflection. I casted breach on him, which got rid of his protection from whatever...spells, then I began to attack him with Melf's minute meteors while he was still protected by spell deflection.

I was more than surprised that after the first round Lavok's spell deflection fell without using any spell protection removers available(like secret word)! I haven't proven it yet, but the only logical explanation should be the following:

Melf's minute meteors are a level 3 spell created missile projectiles. SO...if you attack a protected mage with these, then EVERY SUCCESSFUL ATTACK SHOULD REDUCE THE MAGE'S DEFENCE CAPACITY BY 3 LEVELS AS WELL AS CONSTANTLY HURTING THE ENEMY MAGE EVEN THROUGH STONESKIN(bonus fire damage)!!!

If this is true, then Spell Trap can be removed in two rounds! Not bad, since you can also hit liches with these nice little meteors. The possible drawback is...that spell turning may reflect them back to you.

Try it out and prove my right please, since I won't be able to use my computer till next week!

[This message has been edited by TIN_MAN (edited August 29, 2001).]

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Mike, it's Amazing. You should work for Amazing Discoveries Tin ;) But thanks for the advice, I will use this hint in my game!

The spell discription of Melf's Minute Meteors say only one interesting thing I didn't knew: The Meteor can also ignite combustible materials (even solid planks)

The Meteors do +6 damage (+3 nortmal damage and +3 fire damage) so that would explain why it can hit through stoneskin. The meteors explode into a 1-foot-diameter-sphere, so that explains why it also works against mirrors and spell turnings/deflection, it does not directly hit the caster, however is has to be cast on target creature and can damage only one person, it still acts like an area effect, so it cannot be deflected.

Now the spell discription of Spell Deflection (and this explains the dispel of it I suppose):

This powerful abjuration spell causes any spells cast against the wizard to be absorbed and consumed. This affects a total of 10 spell levels...Something to note is that as long as there are levels remaining then the spell will be absorbed. For example, when there's only 1 level left and a 3rd-level spell is cast against at the wizard, the spell will be absorbed while canceling the spell deflection.

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited August 29, 2001).]

3. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

thx, now i have a reason to use this spell :)
    finally :)

4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Very interesting discovery! I will have to keep my eyes open for this.

It's strange if the meteors themselves are considered level 3 spells and clearly worth reporting to the designers if that is the case so they can include it in a possible future patch.

5. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

when i played the sorceror and wildmage.. i always found this spell useful... lots of ammo.. fires pretty fast (the meteors I mean) especially when you start out in Irenicus's dungeon and as solo.. u need some real firepower against those kobolds.. these minute meteors are really good

6. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Kobolds in Irenicus' Dungeon, where? I just remember mephits and goblins.

MMM has always been a spell I've liked, ever since reading I read it's description :D

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited August 29, 2001).]

7. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] No references to ToB...I may be new here, but I've enough sense to know that Taluntain and Extremist REALLY don't like ToB stuff posted in the SoA forums.

On a lighter note, that's pretty interesting, though I didn't take the spell myself. (Avoids dropping a ToB spoiler). It was a wise investment to play a Sorcerer, though, especially since they become so useful with Abi-Dalzims and the coming of ToB.

8. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] More spoilers here:

MMM can be splitted to two parts, one does physical damage while another magical damage, physical can be countered by stoneskin/mirror and magical can be absorded by spell deflection/spell trap or reflected by spell turning or stopped by minor globe/globe.

More tips here:
    MMM can get through absolute immunity but will show uselessness before prot from magical weapon. Maybe it is considered enchanted?

9. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

you'll find kobolds in the tunnels north of the tube room in the first level of Irenicus dungeon. Among other places. In some corridors too I think.

10. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Interesting. What was your average party level when doing chapter 1? (one would assume 7-8 but who knows these days) I'm pretty sure I've been to every nook and cranny through Irenicus' Dungeon and never seen a kobold. Goblins, mephits, duergar, a cambion, lesser clay golems, an otyugh, shadow theives, clones, vampire, doppleganger, an ogre mage or several gibberlings, that's about it. Strange.

11. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] And it doesn't even stop there! They also count as +5 weapons making them the ultimate golem- and demilich-killer!

12. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] MMM is a very good spell anyway. it is worth to take in for every sorcerer or mage. If you have this spell, you don't even need any weapons! And with its spell defletion and spell turning depleting ability it is a wonderful spell!!!

13. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Indeed. And the strange thing is that many people don't know that this spell is so great. So maybe that becomes better with this "advertisement campaign" :) Good job Tin!

14. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

MMM goes well with sorcerors =) its like medieval rambo with an M-16

15. Thorr Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Especially if you use Improved Haste. I killed once Kangaxx with MMM, but only after I hasted my solo mage/thief, because at the normal rate of fire, the damage was too low to get down mr. K. (his ring was regenerating him faster than I could hit him).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.