1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

External monitor setup on laptop

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kenixkil, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

So, complaining about my tiny 12.1 inch laptop screen, I got a 24 inch LCD which made life so much better...until I tried to run Halo on it. Basically, if I try to run it, I get up the "HALO" part, but then the thing crashes to the desktop except I can hear the Halo music, and the clicks from the Menu options when I move the mouse. If I press enter twice (for Single Player -> Continue), the thing crashes completely and I get a "Gathering exception data" box. I turned off my laptop screen, so the external LCD is my primary display. Starcraft, movies and everything else works fine...is there some way to resolve this?

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    vista on the laptop? I remember halo being a dx10 game. There is a dx9 patch/hack as far as I know.
    Ofcourse the drivers are in order, the game is patched, and the graphics adapter of the laptop is able to run Halo?

I typed your problem in the google search box and got a lot of hits to fora, so it is not an unique problem.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  3. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Hmmm...I tried various parameters in Google but all I got were weird results...

And yes, it is Vista, drivers and game updated, and before I got the external screen I was running it fine on the laptop's (tiny 12.1 inch) screen.

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    which GPU do you have in that laptop?

5. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31

Veteran

ATi Mobility Radeon 1350

6. Merlanni

Media:
    Should be strong enough for Halo1. No driver for the mobile version on the amd website. You played it, so it is strong enough.

7. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Yeah, it still works fine if I disconnect the external monitor and just play it with the tiny screen...but then there's no point of me having bought the monitor :(

8. Merlanni

Media:
  9. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31

Veteran

The fix in that thread didn't work...got the same error as before :(

And for the resolution, I did try eariler on lowering it to my laptop resolution, 1280 * 800.
    No dice.

Appreciate the help though :p

10. Merlanni

Media:
  11. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31

Veteran

The thing is, the game works fine when I unplug the external monitor and just use the laptop screen, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the files...maybe Halo is just being retarded :(

12. Merlanni

Media:
    The longshots are getting longer. sometimes the monitor has a driver update.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.