1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Great Day for Justice in the USA

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Chandos the Red, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    This guy finally got what he deserved. Better late than never:

I guess there wasn't a "racist" to get him off the hook this time...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27010657/

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If da over-priced sports memorabilia don't fit...you must acquit. Wait - it fit dis time? Damn. :)

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That and the prosecution didn't have him try on gloves.

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Finally, something Chandos and I agree on. :D

My favorite is "If you didn't steal, you must appeal."

5. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Here, here! It's about time.

6. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Good deal!

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

But this one is not a capital offense. 13 years ago he could have gone to the gas chamber (and no that's not my computer room after I'be been eating chilli. That would be cruel and unusual punishment)...

8. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Frankly I'm the kind of person who would prefer to be killed over spending life in prison... at least at this point where I'm not confronted with either.

9. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I believe this bugger belongs in jail, no question. But lets be honest. He'll end up in Club Fed, far from the mainstream population. He'll eat better than 20% of the American population. He'll have a steady stream of groupies and authors fauning over him hoping to cash in on his fame. He'll live the life of Reilly for about 20% of what he's actually supposed to serve and then be out on parole.

But still, the loss of freedom will be some punishment, if insufficient punishment.

10. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Not bloody likely. The prosecution didn't seek the death penalty, meaning that OJ never faced lethal injection (California had just abandoned the gas chamber in 1994). Like it or not, most people only approve of the death penalty when the criminal in question is a faceless lowlife. On that measure, OJ Simpson didn't really qualify.

11. martaug Gems: 23/31

I wonder how many people really feel he was guilty of the murders? It seems to be a large percentage here that think he is guilty but i wonder if that is the majority view.
    Personally, i don't think he did it himself but probably paid to have it done.

12. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I saw a statistic the other day that said when he got off initially, something like 75% of blacks and 35% of whites believed him to be innocent. Apparently time has not treated him kindly (nor should it in my opinion) because those numbers are now half or less the originals, IIRC. I can't find the article where I read this from so the numbers aren't exact.

13. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

The prosecution failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt (in legal terms) that he had committed the crimes in question. I find it extremely sad that the story got racially polarized the way it did. I believe that all murderers should be severely punished for their crimes. His behaviour after the trial was hardly that of a decent mourner for his wife, and his shenanigans since did little to make people believe his innocence. I'm glad he finally is being found guilty for one of his crimes.

14. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

One of the reasons that race plays such a significant role is that the jury that let him off was pretty much hand selected by race. There was only ONE white in the jury. Also the majority were women (9 IIRC?) because his defense team thought they would be more likely to not pass guilt...

That last point has confused me for a while though, it seems women would be more likely to charge a man who allegedly killed his WIFE. I guess that's why I'm not on any all-star lawyering teams.

15. Chandos the Red

Media:
    The OJ Trial was a comedy of errors. I was working for Circuit City Stores then, so, since we had like 100 TVs on all day, I saw a large part of the trial during the day.

1. It had the all-time worst judge: The guy barely bumbled his way through the entire debacle.

2. The prosecutors were somewhat incompetent, as has been pointed out. Nevertheless, there was some good evidence presented against OJ, and really, they made the case. Although they were not really very sharp.

3. Everyone invovled in the case allowed the "racist detective" to be put on trial, instead of OJ.

4. The jury was as racist in their decision as the detective; that's one thing I can say for the OJ jury: they knew a "racist" once they saw one.

I'm completely convinced that OJ Killed those two people in cold blood and got away with it. Worse yet, he has no remorse for killing the mother of his children and has even tried to make money off of his crime, a supposed book about how he "would have done it." :flaming:

Now he is appealing the verdict because there was not a black person on the jury. Gee, I wonder if he was looking for a "Get out of Jail Free Card," again this time.

16. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It's hard to believe he wasn't guilty of the murders. It's hard to think of a legitimate reason why you'd run, why you'd write a book like that, or why you'd run a case that painted the investigator as a racist if you could demonstrate your innocence based on evidence.

I seem to recall hearing something about poor evidence handling being one of the causal factors in the acquittal. One of the unfortunate cases where, despite the weight of the evidence, the charges couldn't be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

Then again, we all know how easy it is to turn an examination of 'the facts' into a sideshow.

I can't say I feel a shred of remorse for the guy. I hope he stays in jail for a long time and never walks free.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.