1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate 3 A-coming! (Probably.)

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Taluntain, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]CVG reports that news of Baldur's Gate 3's death has been greatly exaggerated, since Atari apparently has the rights to it and an unannounced developer is actually working on it. See, I told you it was just a matter of time:

A third instalment in the Baldur's Gate series is tipped to be in development, without original creator BioWare.

Although it won't be ready for at least another year, we've heard the RPG sequel is coming along at an as-yet-unnamed developer and Neverwinter Nights 2 house Atari - which recently released a series compilation on PC-DVD - is said to be handling the publishing duties.

The acclaimed RPG series hasn't seen a proper release since 2001's Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, and has been the subject of constant rumour and speculation since.

A third game was even said to be in development at on-off Baldur's expansion dev Black Isle Studios, which has now been closed.

Original members of Black Isle have since founded Obsidian Entertainment, which helmed a sequel to BioWare's Neverwinter Nights.

Obsidian is a possibility then but the developer behind the third Baldur's Gate is still a mystery to us, although we've heard it's a studio more than capable of making a fantastic looking production. Speculate away.

When contacted Atari said it had no comment to make except that Baldur's Gate is "one of the properties Atari has rights to".

You can almost see the fear in the orc's eye already!

(Source.)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Now there's something I haven't expected to read tonight...

Great news. (if all goes well, that is)

*crosses fingers that it is happening and hopes that the game will be Awesome*

3. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

They'll ruin it. Whoever they are... We all know it :cry:

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Intriguing news. I won't bother getting my hopes up just yet. This could turn out to be another dead end road. And even if it isn't, if the developers really are just focusing on conveying fear in that Orc's eye, the game likely won't even deserve the name Baldur's Gate. We'll see, though, I guess.

Thanks for the news Tal.

5. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I really hope they don`t make this game at all. If they do, it will be in 4th edition d&d rules. Wich is just terrible. It would end up as a pokemon\world of warcraft version of BG, and I am not exagerrating either. Its that bad. But thanks for the news though.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Isn't this the third time someone tries to make a BG3? Maybe this one will actually make it all the way and be released. As for whether it'll be any good, we won't know until Atari lets out more information about it.

7. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Three's a charm? However, they might just hype up the news in order to sell something else, something similar, but not anything as charming as BG3 should be.

8. Blatchford Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Really hope nothing actually comes of this, or that it only gets a console release like the dark alliance ones. I'd love to see new D&D rpg's, even more Icewind Dales, Neverwinter Nights or even a new Planescape, but BG is one licence I wish they'd just leave in peace. It was just too perfect and no story felt left untold... I'd hate to see the series go the tomb raider route and have it's reputation ruined by poor sequels (as the first 2 games in that series were also truly amazing, even if they weren't quite on BG's level).

9. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Interesting. Thanks for the news.

10. J_Leatherwood Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Baldur's Gate 3

Considering the Shadows of Amn (an excellent game otherwise) had little to do with the city of Baldur's Gate, why bother calling the third game BG3?

I echo the sentiments of the writer who laments 4th Edition D&D -- I did not really like 3.0 or 3.5 all that much. BG belongs to the 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons world. It's sort of like grafting Temple of Elemental Evil to 3rd Edition rules -- it doesn't really fit the spirit of things.

I'm holding out for Dragon Age or the next Elder Scrolls, because they will not be slaves to the WOW trends or the WOTC monopoly.

11. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    To sell more copies of the game.

12. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I hope for the best...but secretly i fear the worst!:(

13. DCD Gems: 2/31

While BG is close to the ideal CRPG, BG II was less than perfect for what it aspired to be and was riddled with errors that could be annoying. However, I will agree with you on intent - BG3 is not something we need to see. Sure, I would love to revisit Baldur's Gate and actually live there, conducting experiments on bodies from the sewers and such...but that kind of thing is suited more toward a MMORPG, which is the next logical step for the BG series. Not another game.

Plus, there are a few elements BG3 will have that I'm sure many will not be pleased about, like the Aurora Engine graphics and 4th Edition D&D rules.

14. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I'm not at all sure that factors like the engine, rules set, or developer guarantee this to be a failure at all. Remember, as good as the BG series was, it was far from perfect. Better can be done and if a little company like BioWare was can make BG, then a little company today can do as well. What makes me think this is a guaranteed failure is that Ataris will be publishing it. Atari corrupts and ruins all it touches.

15. Marceror

Media:
    Amen. I just can't get too excited about anything with Atari on the label.

16. Blatchford Gems: 2/31

True, perfect was the wrong word, I could list off pages of faults or things I would have liked to have been done differently with each game. It was just that the series fitted together so well, maintaining the atmosphere, pacing and progression between the games. While it is feasible that a new BG could in fact better the old ones, I can't believe that it would feel like a continuation of the old ones (as has been said from being 3d/new rules etc.), making it pointless to place the BG name on it. Well, beyond the fact that it would sell more copies... As much as I don't want one, I would probably still buy it.
    That said an MMORPG might be an idea, it would be great to revist the city of Baldur's Gate and making a multiplayer game would create a clear seperation from the old singleplayer ones.

17. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Well, since Baldur's Gate is a city, there are plenty of plot potentials for the city itself that don't have to tie in to the past two games... just a thought.

18. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I think Atari has $$ in their eyes and they're going to do their best to put as many of the old characters in as possible. Though I really hope they refrain from anything but 'chance' encounters with popular old characters and not have them play a large part in the game.

19. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

this game, if its made, will be nothing bout a true, and utter disgrace. Its that simple.

20. bhavv Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I dont want a BG3 because all the D&D rules after the ones BG used were horrible.

What I would like instead is for BG1 and BG2 to be remade as exactly the same games and rules, but a new modern graphics engine, like they did with Settlers II 10th anniversary.

A remake of the whole BG series in modern graphics would be epic, as long as nothing else is changed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.