1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Guess what, another school shooting

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Iku-Turso, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    It's all over the news and it's just happened. Today. At least 9 dead. Possibly 11.

I'm expecting a similar case to happen next year. What a world.

Here's the case according to Vancouver Sun

2. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Apparently it was a student from the school but no one knows yet as he was wearing a mask??

The update just said it was 12 people that were killed, including the shooter who shot himself after the ordeal...

Edit: There's only 9 people reported dead so far and the shooter is still alive...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  3. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Shooter is dead now. Died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. He was a student, as has been confirmed. Had some videos about him shooting targets at the range at Youtube.

Oh irony, someone had written a prank threat in the wall of our school, saying "Bloodlust 19.9". 200 kilometers and 4 days off the mark, I guess.

4. Fly2tHeSkY

He had been interviewed by police the day before, and they said there was no need for his gun license to be revoked. :confused:

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I've become numb to this type of story. It's inexplicable and sad, and it follows a script. Depressed man in his late teens/early 20s gets gun, shoots a ton of people, and then either kills himself or shot by someone else.

Baronius likes this.
  6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I didn't even know guns were allowed in Finland. I guess I'm jaded as I always think of this as an issue the United States has to deal with.

7. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    My condolences to the families of the students.

I've been extremely dissapointed at Finnish police for a while now and now this. Again.
    If they don't have the manpower to interrogate everyone about whether or not to give someone access to a gun, then don't just hand them to everyone.

He went to an exam class and shot all those people. Being a Finnish student who's starting his exams this week, I'm honestly a little worried.

@Snook, we have lots of rifles and such, but unlike in US, they're actually used for hunting. I guess nobody thought someone would buy a handgun and do something like this, but that was a year ago, I would have hoped they'd changed some laws by now.

8. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Well, Silvershield, the police are only human too, and can't read minds. The videos he posted on Youtube certainly weren't enough, seeing he's just shooting some targets and I doubt he appeared to be in any way dangerous anyways. Had he actually appeared to be intending to do this, he would have been gunless very fast.
    I don't blame the police in any way for this, although there's no doubt there will be a great deal who do.

9. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Only God knows the future for sure, and so unless it come sout that he told someone flat out "I'm gonna kill some people" I'm not willing to blame anyone but him.

I cannot imagine what it would feel like to lose a family member or other loved one in this manner. I hope that something can be learned from this and similar situations can be avoided / defused in the future.

10. Fly2tHeSkY

You'd think someone at his school or a family member would have known he had thoughts like this or was acting strangely?

@Goli, I'm not really saying it's their fault, although they really need a better system it would seem.

Trellheim has a point, they shouldn't be handing them out to everyone.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    This is what I mean when I say it follows a script. It seems like someone says exactly that every time something like this happens.

12. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Thats the same thing they say about almost every serial killer too. "He was such a quiet neighbor. He never bothered anybody"
    Yep, those are the ones with bodies in the basement.
    Hopefully everyone that prays is doing so for the families that suffered a loss in this senseless tragedy.

13. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There is a myth that a quiet person is a good person or at least not dangerous. A quiet, well behaved person may be repressing feelings rather than dealing with them in a positive way. That does not mean that every quiet person is dangerous only that some are.

As long as guns are readily available to the general population we will have things such as this happening. I speak as one who grew up with guns and was taught how and when to use them. Rule #1 in our house was never point a gun at someone, not even our toy guns.

14. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

I, too, was taught similarly. More accurately it was: "Never point a gun at someone unless you're willing to kill."
    And that was not a "Make your choice" -kind of an advice.

15. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Silvershield:
    As someone who has actually had similar thoughts in the past (and never acted on them), let me assure you that they are not typically broadcast. I didn't say anything to anyone. Mostly because these thoughts seem to come about most when you don't have anyone to say anything to. There's a reason these guys are always loners and social outcasts.

16. Fly2tHeSkY

What kind of thoughts, exactly??

17. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Lets just say that seven years of social isolation, emotaional abuse from my peers, and more than a few acts of blatant physical violence left me very mad at many of my peers. Plus, I had access to guns. Like I said, I never acted on them, nor even seriously considered it, but the fantasies were there, and from the moment I heard about Columbine, I understood. I don't agree with anyone doing it ever, but I know where they come from.

joacqin likes this.
  18. Fly2tHeSkY

Well I'm very glad you don't agree with it NoG.

The families of those killed will be in my prayers tonight.

19. nunsbane

nunsbane

NOG, it's not unreasonable to want to strike at those who bruised you so badly. You can be sure that there are other members on the boards who have had similar thoughts and aren't brave enough to say so.

My ex-sister-in-law suffered cruelty from her peers in high school. She was a farmer's daughter attending a private catholic school mostly populated with students from wealthy families. Her peers would rake her with comments about eating pig sh*t for breakfast and the fact that she *dated* the farm animals she tended, among other insults. The striking part of this anecdote is that 20+ years later, as a 40 year old woman, she cried bitterly when she told me of it. She's a good girl and she has been damaged permanently. I've had more than a few ugly thoughts of reprisal on her behalf.

20. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

NOG, I can tell you flat out that you're not alone in that -- I was bullied mercilessly and whenever I tried to stick up for myself was told that I was "supposed to be part of the solution, not part of the problem" or some other liberal crap like that. I try to forgive and try to see things from the perspective of my tormentors but nonetheless I dreamed of loading up my Dad's 12 gauge and getting some revenge. I never did it, of course, because I knew it was wrong and deep inside I knew it really wouldn't solve the problem. But it's easy for me to understand the feelings of these kids even though I believe that those feelings should never be used to try to justify or excuse such violence.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.