1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

MSN fake message "from" friends

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by chevalier, Sep 21, 2008.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Someone must have come across it. What's the reason? Does it happen on the recipient's system, faking an incoming MSN message, or does it happen on the "sender's" system, sending a message without his knowledge?

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] As far as I am led to understand it, It is sent through the senders machine, via a third party machine.

The third machine masquerades as the second by information drawn from it and any scripts left behind on it to fire out data to the first and any other that can be contacted. The sender is usually blissfully unaware until they log in to see messages flooding through roughly equating to: "No more :bs: or I will :smash: your :xx: with a :book:, :thanks:"

3. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

It's a virus, actually. From the sender's computer without his knowledge. Had a few of those myself, all being along the lines of "Is this really you? " Soo, if you get one like that, d... if your friend knew his computer's infected.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Or better yet, make sure you have an AV program that scans your email too. :thumb: :rolling:

5. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Does the e-mail scanner check IM's too?

Really though, they shouldn't be to much of a problem as they are all pretty generic. One that I've received...

this looks like you :S http://mymsnimage.my.funpic.de/viewimage.php?=[my email address]

A lot of the time they end in .info too, so that should help.

6. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

There's A LOT of things like this. Basically a few people on my list got a virus like this and posted it in their names a couple of years ago as to warn people off it.

Lately I get them from people that are OFFLINE. Those are the easiest to detect. There've been a couple of instances where it happens when the person is online. Mostly things like "come check out this hot pic at myspace.pictures" or something simliar.

Simplest way to avoid a virus through msn is NEVER click a link that someone sends. Obviously if you're talking to the person and they ask you to look at a picture or something BEFORE they send the link you'll be safe.

I've never actually caught one of these viruses thankfully. Does it screw up cpu performance as well?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.