1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Getting tired of the first dungeon

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Brightblade, May 1, 2002.

1. Brightblade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I hate having to go through it every single time i start a new game...it is soooo boring and just feels like a waste of time..anyone else share this view

2. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

Probably anyone who hasn't played it less than two times.

3. C'Jakob Guest

Solution: get another CRPG. If you're getting tired of it every time you start a new game, you've probably played BGII many, many, times.

[This message has been edited by C'Jakob (edited May 01, 2002).]

4. I dont mind the Dungeon itself, I just dislike the Cutscene you have to sit through before getting to wander around

5. Lordvan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Just start a multiplayer game by yourself, and save it where you want to start from now on. then when you start the game you want to play, simply save it under a different name, exit out, copy the file, and paste it into the 1 player save folder. when you start again, its like you have always been on 1 player.

[This message has been edited by Lordvan (edited May 01, 2002).]

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Brightblade: I know what you mean. BG2 was the first d&d game I played, technically. I got about 10 minutes, wondered "what the heck am I supposed to be doing, here?", and played IwD.

It took a while, but Bg2 finally grew on me...

7. Brightblade Gems: 4/31

Im going through to try different character combos and such. Lordvan that would work, except that some variables are set when you start a new game, such as who you can romance based on gender, etc, also i think the strongholds are set on that too..so that really isnt viable if you want to do those things.

8. sorvo Guest

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean! I finished the game once, but went through chapter 1 about 27 times with different characters.

9. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
  10. ArchAngel Guest

chapter one is the reason why I don't play BG2 more often. Yaaaaawn :coffee:

11. Dralend Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The first dungeon's not too bad. I find it's a good place to try out some underused spells, such as the priest's spell 'Command: sleep' or web and entanglement.

12. bp Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I've got a disease called "restart-itis". I keep wanting to try out different characters, so I replay the first dungeon over, and over, and over ... it does get old.

However, I can go through it pretty quick by now, after the 10e100th time (a google) :)

13. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I'm right there with you. And I may get flamed for this, but here's what I do:

Ctrl + Y every bad guy I see.

Console in boots of speed for everyone you plan to keep. (Leave them on the ground at the dungeon exit.)

Acquire and keep essential items: acorns, mail of the dead, sword of chaos, pomell jewel of the equalizer, etc.

Skip the vampire, doppelganger, i.e., anything extraneous therein.

Distribute roughly 25k XP among you and your party before you leave the dungeon. (that's roughly what you'd earn, anyway.)

Give yourself about 3500-4000 gold. (Beats doing what I used to do, i.e. hauling out every single composite long bow I could carry, at methinks 20 gp a pop)

That said, if you're trying out a brand spanking new kit, it is an excellent training ground.

my two pesetas...

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    an easier way would just be to CTRL + J to the room with the key, then again to the portal near Jaheira then go through, then just Ctrl + J to the exit

I've only done it the once 'cos I was late for school and the old dragon was a remarkable resemblence to the shadow dragon

'Foolish child, dare you not go in?'
    I shut the door in her face :)

15. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

while we are on this topic, do you think that the sword of chaos is really worth it, considering the amount of running around you do and the time it takes? i always get it for minsc or my protagonist fighter until lilarcor comes around.

sucking hp is useful, but is it worth the trouble?

16. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It's pretty much the first +2 weapon you can get.

Yeah, it's worth it. Unless you are using something else that makes it pointless :evil:

17. yappie! Guest

[​IMG] Its just another +2 sword, which drains 1 Hit Point! one measly hp.

Once i used IEEP and SK to make the Genie give me another item.
    Currently, ive used IEEP to great effect! When you get to the Planar Prison, you find the Hilt of Chaos, and in the Planar Sphere the Chaos Ruby Pommel Stone. Then you go to cromwell and the sword comes out like this:

Sword Of Chaos +3

(same description), and with the Hilt of Chaos and the Chaos Jewel. This Sword is once again ready to wreck unholy chaos upon the Realms.

Special Abilities: cast Chaos once per day.
    cast Larloch's Greater Drain once per day.

Equipped Ability: Immune to Chaos, as under a permanent Chaotic Commands.
    Every hit heals the caster by 2hp.

THAC0 bonus: +3
    Damage: 1d10+3
    Speed Factor: 6
    Usable by:
    Chaotic Characters
    (Good, Neutral and Evil)

Its great!!

18. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Sounds good, yappie...man, what I wouldn't do for an IEEP tutorial... >sigh<

19. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Lol, my friend hates the first dungeon so he always starts new games when we are at LANs so that I get to do it for him :lol:.

Cheers.

20. Brightblade Gems: 4/31

If you want a IEEP turorial, go to team bg and go to their tutorials section. i got creating items in 3 days.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.