1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Watchmen

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by LKD, Sep 3, 2008.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I've seen the trailer in the movie theatre twice now, and it inspired me to go out and buy the graphic novel (though I had read it before by borrowing it.) I'd forgotten just how good the book was. I loved every second of it. I've read the cast -- no really big names there. I really hope they don't muck it up. Of course, according to Moore, they can't do anything BUT muck it up but still, I'm hoping they do a credible job. Any thoughts on this upcoming film?

2. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I bought the graphic novel too, havent got far. But yeah, I dont see how they could do it any kind of justice.

Its an awesome graphic novel though, I agree. So much depth to it!

3. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Well, Moore doesn't like adaptations of his work. As a film there wasn't anything terribly wrong about V For Vendetta, but he didn't like it.

The major way that it could go wrong is if the flimmakers direct it to a completely wrong target audience. I think it'd be time for the westerners to pull their heads from their behinds and not think of comics as a media primarily directed for pre-pubertetic boys.

The League Of Extraordiary Gentlemen is a perfect example of this. The only extraordinary about it was how it managed to rape Moore's work completely and how it sucked arse in a major fashion.

4. Kerfuffle Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm reading through the graphic novel now, it's very interesting. I think it would more suited to a series or something; I mean a lot seems to be happening, and I don't think that they would be able to cram it into one film.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

1: I looked up the word "pubertetic" on Wiktionary. No luck. I gather you were aiming at "pubescent" -- but please include a link to a better dictionary if you can!

2: Other than such nit-picking, I believe you are right -- if they dumb the story down and aim low, I will be stunningly depressed. Of course, they will have to cut some material -- the question is what to cut?

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    The director's heart is clearly in the right place, but, y'know, good intentions and all that.

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Too bad Warner Bro's is getting an injunction filed against it by Fox... Fox is trying to prevent Watchmen from ever seeing the light of day.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

8. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    @LKD: Whoops, sorry about that. :o The correct word would be prepubertal or prepubescent.

Not necessarily a better dictionary but Princeton Wordnet is quite good and for puberty related words Medicinet Glossary is informative and both of these you can find at least with google command 'define: xx' (where xx stands for the word to be defined), which is handier than any dictionary I've encountered before.

Got lazy with that prepubertetic. Silly finglish, my bad, thanks for correcting since I usually try to be more meticulous with my wording :thumb:

9. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Just saw the trailer, and holy poop it looked awesome and beautiful! :whoa:

It's a definite must-see picture. Holey-moley, gee-whiz, oh-boy and all that rap! :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.